The Transgender Discussion [Strictly Moderated]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by usscouse, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Alright everyone, interesting points on both sides and in between, but it seems like the recent heated exchanges are going around in circles and points have been made. Lets watch the personal attacks please, and try to take it down a notch..

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I apologize.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Connecticut loses case regarding allowing transgender to compete vs biological women.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-transgender-sports-inclusion-violates-others-rights/ar-BB14IjZG

Lawsuits going the other way are in the pipe, this one in Idaho.

https://apnews.com/e5855af91d22f292c707920108672330

4. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Firstly, I owe @Sounders78 a public apology over this - for being dismissive when I was around, and then being absent when the discussion came back. I don't expect anything in return except the knowledge that I and the mod team will endeavour to treat trans folk with dignity and will make every attempt to remove offensive content in a timely fashion.

I've gone through and cleaned up the offensive posts as best I could (though I have left a number of quotes in the replies for context). Going forward - I will moderate this quite strictly. If you are not sure your position/question is offensive - I ask that you read this before contributing to the discussion.

Also, belated happy pride everyone.

Moishe, rslfanboy, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I hate bringing this thread back up, because I know it is just going to attract the crazies.

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Doc Holiday’s line from Tombstone is my fave for this situation.

“I’m your huckleberry.”*

*please report any questionable content

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, why there is any polarizing opinion against transgender people blows my mind. I like to think that scientists will "discover" everything one day and solve this "problem," but until then...

who cares? Let people live their ********ing lives.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did I miss?

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but do we let them compete in high school sports?

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Name one high school sport that is so important that this is worth denying someone the chance to compete.

xtomx and roby repped this.
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The entire 1780s.

taosjohn repped this.
  12. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Part of the issue with this discussion is the minimizing of the trans folk struggle when discussing it in the framework of the binary gender nature of high school sports as if it really matters in any meaningful way in this situation.

I agree with Brummie - but in reality high school sports (or gendered sports competition) are a red herring - can we not be glib about this going forward.

soccernutter and American Brummie repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just giving everyone a reminder of the subtopic that drove much of the discussion. For a red herring, people on both sides sure got fired up about it.

Dr. Wankler and crazypete13 repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There's also the issue -- thankfully rare -- of male prisoners identifying as trans, getting transferred to women's prisons and committing sex crimes there.

And while Joe Rogan is truly Bro-magnon man, I have a hard time disagreeing with him on the cases of some trans MMA fighters. It may very well be a complex awakening of identity playing itself out in a person, or it might be some sick ******** guy figuring out a way to beat up women legally.

And I have a friend whose son transitioned at around the age of 15, after years of counseling, including with their priests. He's been fully accepted at school and (surprisingly) in their parish.

So, generally, yes, full support: but their are psychopaths in the world, and its best not to let them sneak by under the radar.

crazypete13 repped this.
  15. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    @crazypete13 If you are sincere in your apology YOU WILL SHUT THIS ********ING THREAD DOWN IMMEDIATELY. IT IS INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE.

It is INHERENTLY offensive.

Every time someone resurrects it, the bigoty begins immediately. Like moths to a flame, they cannot resist coming in and denigrating trans people.

Already we have @superdave , like a good "Christian", coming in and advocating discrimination.

Already we have @Dr. Wankler coming in and advocating an entire group of people be discriminated against because of the potential of a very small number of people taking advantage of them. This argument was the source of the bathroom laws - because heterosexuals might rape children or women in bathrooms, Trans people should be discriminated against.

I'm not Trans and I find this thread incredibly offensive. How do you think a trans person would feel? We won't know because they wisely don't participate because they are talked about, not to, and they are talked about it in denigrating terms.

I propose started "The Jewish Discussion" thread for non-Jews to come in and talk about their issues with Jewish people. How do you think that would go? Do you think the very nature of the thread would invite white supremacists and Neo-Nazis in to civilly discuss why they think Jewish people should be discriminated against? Do you think Jewish people would feel like it's a great platform for them to advocate for their group? Maybe I should start it to see how quickly it gets shut down for its offensive nature?

THE EXISTENCE OF THIS ********ING THREAD IS OFFENSIVE. THIS THREAD IS DISGUSTING. THIS THREAD IS VILE.

This thread should ONLY be moderated by a Trans person. If you cannot find a Trans person to moderate it, SHUT THIS ********ING THREAD DOWN NOW.

soccernutter, xtomx and Smurfquake repped this.
  16. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    All I’m really getting at is that throwing up outliers re: prisons and sports is taking the discussion and making it about the loophole instead of the wider issue which is acceptance, inclusiveness and ending the violence trans folk face.

17. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Ok done.

rslfanboy repped this.
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is more than that. There was an argument made that using "tranny" was okay. There were jokes which are insensitive without understanding why.