The Trans - Fer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by yossarian, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    I really don't know who Wenger will buy this summer and who will leave, therefore I will not comment.

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That never stopped anybody before.

3. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    To be brutally honest I really don't see us signing anyone in the summer transfer window. I really think next season will be the season Wenger uses youth to see what we are truly made of in the EPL.

It seems like the only players that will move are the ones to depart. And I wouldn't be entirely sure of Reyes leaving our squad just yet... I really don't think Real will buy him. Unless they would be insane and give us Robinho, but with Gilberto, Baptista, and Denilson in the current squad I wouldn't be surprised.

And that's another thing. Will Baptista stay? I don't think so as much as I would like it to happen. In my eyes the next season depends too much on players we have not seen enough of, such as Bendtner, Denilson, Walcott, etc. They have not played on a regular basis.

The quicker this team can gel in the off-season the quicker this team will work, but we must not forget that Wenger has patience in the common game, an aspect which most personalities in today's game don't have. I would say that I'm sometimes buoyed by our lack of transfer activity, but as I said before, I'll just keep my mouth shut, because Wenger always seems to know what he is doing in the transfer market. The man has scouts all over the world, and a degree in economics.

One thing is for sure. If there is any man to plan or to configure a winning mentality through the use of research it is Wenger.

Here's to hoping we do sign someone in the summer, but as I said, I'm less than optimistic.

4. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
  5. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Quaresma what you would call super class? He's done alright in Portugal since he washed out of Barca, but i don't see him as a super talent.

6. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    I was just using his name as a joke for my earlier point.

Anyway, getting back to the discussion, WHO are the super super class wingers on offer???

7. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I don't think there are any. The only players i can see Wenger shelling out for is a replacement for Lehmann (who i love, but unfortunately, i think he can only go downhill) and a lethal striker (if available). I figure that Le Boss has Walcott and Vela pencilled in as his future wingers.

8. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. Ever since taking over English clubs became a fashion, Wenger knew he wouldn't be able to match the prices paid by other clubs, like Chelsea, ManU, West ham and now LPool, while we remain English owned and have some stadium debt to pay off .. He started investing heavily on young players and the scouting department .. I suppose the results are showing .. I think when he meant "super-class" players, he was possibly referring to some kid who can make Cesc feel raw ..

9. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    I thought Vela was a real out and out striker? Not sure, though. As for the Lehman replacement, do any of you think there might be a chance Arsenal might be one of the teams that will be in for Gomes of PSV?

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well they did cavity searches and found certain illegal substances they were attempting to import... No, wait, that was Stallone...

Are we going to try and sign Sty? His character Rocky has a name that starts in R and ends in Y like another popular figure, whats his name again? Some French bloke we are trying to sign...

11. gooner4eva

gooner4eva New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Bangor University
  12. mpeabody

mpeabody New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    "Of course [our situation] is frustrating but as well it is promising because we are five to six years younger than everyone else. I know that people want ‘here and now’ - we live in a society of ‘here and now’ - but unfortunately unless we have massive amounts of money we have to be patient.

I wonder how many times Wenger has to say this before people listen? :rolleyes:

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    awesome news

rosicky was the biggest name brought in this season imo and hes shown to be a top buy

i wonder who le extrodionaire has in line

14. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm skeptical there will be any major signings during the silly season. Prices are due to be inflated for the top names, and we don't pay ManUre or Chelski prices. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a big signing or two, but that's not the way we've worked during Wenger's entire time at the club. The last MAJOR world-class name (ie. top 20-30 player in the world) that Arsenal purchased was Bergkamp - who was brought to Arsenal before Wenger joined the club.

The last part of Wenger's quote is more telling:

[Wenger] “It will be maybe one or two — maximum,” he said, “and then only super, super-class because we have what is needed. If someone is available I would always try to improve my team but the basis is inside the club."

The other operative phrase here is "super, super-class" This doesn't mean WORLD class as some have posted - it means that Le Boss thinks they are super dee duper... Big difference.

15. Weakerthan

Weakerthan New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Winnipeg
    I suppose "super class" could support the rumours of a certain Italian goalkeeper coming to Arsenal, though that is an outside chance at best. The same could be said, to a lesser extent, about R****y and Q******a, or any of the other players whose names are constantly thrown about.

In the end, I feel things will start to be clearer when Jens' situation is resolved. If he extends his contract, I could see Wenger bringing in a couple big signings (Big by his standards, of course. I can't see him splashing 20 million or so on one player). If Jens does leave, I see a keeper coming in and that's about it. Aside from a couple of kids brought in to fill up the Youth ranks, of course.

16. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree about the GK who shall not be named. There is virtually no chance he will come to us since he is far more likely to stay in Italy and play at AC Milan if he does move anywhere. We've already discussed this certain GK ad nauseum, and I'm inclined to believe the only way he would come here is ONLY if he wanted to. His club has been demoted to 2nd division in Italy - if he wanted to leave, he certainly would have. And there isn't one shred of evidence to suggest un-named GK WANTS to come here. So let's forget about him.

Akinfeev or some other GK could still meet Wenger's "super, super-class" decription just as sufficently as "GK-who-shall-not-be-named."

Wenger has also mentioned that he thinks Jens will stay for at least another year: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1980719,00.html

17. Weakerthan

Weakerthan New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Winnipeg
    I'm actually in complete agreement with you. After re-reading my post, I see I failed to explain myself properly... or at all, really.

What I meant to say was that the "super super class" comment COULD lend support to these rumours, but they are just that, rumours and extremely unlikely to happen.

I should really re-read my posts before submitting them.

18. Dynamo and ArsenalFC

Aug 5, 2006
    Beaumont
    A super signing...
    eto'o, eto'o, big money, big money, no wammy, stop!

and what exatly are the chances of buffon coming here? i mean im not saying he wont, but i just dont think it will happen

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One in a million?

20. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    so you're saying there's a chance....

21. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I almost wish AW didn't say this. It's going to make the Silly Season extra Silly.

22. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, its gonna make it Super Silly.

23. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hilarious. rep is on the way.

24. rojagooner

rojagooner New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also sense Eto'o and likely a GK. Should be an interesting summer. I really like Igor Akinfeyev from CSKA but I don't know if he would be considered a "super, super class" player.

25. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    How about a little game. We all have to list 5 potential transfer targets, and the one who has the least players of his 5 linked to the club by the media by the end of the summer transfer period wins.

Not sure about the details, maybe we could all have a transfer budget (say £30 mill) and use the valuations of players from a fantasy football league, and have to spend the £30 mill on them.

Hey we could pick an entire side of 11 players.