The Trans - Fer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by yossarian, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per goonermaui's excellent suggestion......

New transfer thread is now here........speculate, prognosticate, prevaricate to your hearts' content.

2. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Assuming that the announced 20 million pounds is "real," just how much can that get us? I know that Wenger isn't really the shopping type, but clearly boosting us for those injury-filled weeks isn't a bad idea. But almost all of the shopping lists people talk about contain superb players who would cost a majority of that--or a least a hefty chunk of it. I rarely ever pay attention to cash flow in sports--the dollar/pound signs just don't excite me--so I don't know how much/how little this wo million really is...

3. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To be honest I dont think Wenger will want to buy in numbers. His faith in the youth isnt just for the cup competitions so I believe there may be only two significant signings along with a few wonderkids. Im really starting to think that Almunia will get a chance as No.1 next season. We tend to hype ourselves up over signings all the time when historicly under Wenger the trading seasons are very low key.

4. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will probably only buy a winger.

Eto'o would be really nice though.

5. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Absolutely.

6. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    I'd like to see an experienced Central Defender picked up for depth. After Toure and Gallas things get a little too dodgy IMO. Senderos is fine against most sides but he is, and always will be, Drogba's bitch.

7. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    id like to see woodgate brought in. and it will never happen but id like to see senderos sent away to a top club somewhere out of england to gain some more experience as he is stil young but can prove to be costly on the occasion

8. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Nov 24, 2006
    London
    Priority should be Goalkeeper, Winger then possibly striker.

It's odds on that Lehmann will leave this summer. I would like to see either Akinfeev or Buffon.

Winger I would love to see Ribery come in, he would give our midfield some depth and pace that it's lacking plus the all important goal threat. Robinho would do too.

Striker is not so important as we'll have a fresh Henry back after a 5 month rest, Van Persie will be back better than ever, Adebayor will come back an improved player hopefully in his finishing dept and Bendtner will come in to prove a point that he can cut it in the Premiership.

Defence we're pretty well stocked up with Djourou 3rd choice CB after Toure and Gallas.

9. XCdude24

XCdude24 New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    UCSB
    Buffon will never come. Kahn/possibly VDS are retiring which means we're pretty much third choice.

speaking of munich, schweinsteiger is immense. He doesn't have much of a goalscoring record but he pretty much creates every single munich chance. He's totally superior to Robinho, IMO.

10. Bergkamp_4_ever

Bergkamp_4_ever New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    WUDN'T U LYK 2 NO!
    I mentioned this before, but would Buffon come on loan? If we're willing to sign Lehman to a one year deal & he doesn't want to, why not take Buffon for the same terms timewise? He would most likely get a chance to play in Europe with us & it might buy Juve some time to try to keep him.

Regarding Schweinsteiger, Bayern Munich won't sell him....he's already too big of a name for his country & Bayern will not get rid of a local star that young. Too bad because I agree with you regarding his skill.

11. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson
    Djourou isn't dodgy.

Senderos is okay as a fourth choice Centreback, aslong as he plays in position and is sent out of the country when we play Chelsea.

We need a true winger. I still want Ribery.

I think we get Ribery, Akinfeev and leave it at that. No way we get Eto'o, Villa or Torres.

Baps will be sent back and Reyes sold off on the cheap to Betis or Atletico. Freddie, Jens and Ali should be sold off.

A healthy RvP and renewed Henry solves our striker problems. Adebayor is a solid third choice striker, best in the league.

After that it gets a little interesting but Bendtner, Walcott and Vela (if his application gets accepted, I think it will) is good enough for me.

Who does Manchester United have after Rooney and Saha? Ole? Rossi?

Chelsea after Kalou?

We just need to stay healthy and sharp and we'll be fine upfront. Although I'd love to add either Eto'o, Villa or Torres, I just don't think the boss will do it. I'd keep an eye on Huntelaar also.

Maybe Babel if Wenger sees something special in him.

We do this every year though, we wait and pray for the big money transfer signings and it never comes. I'm not getting my hopes up again. I'll take the wait and see approach.

12. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Sorry to re-hash my post the previous thread, but I would be really interested to here from any Bundesliga officianados regarding M. Klose.

a.Are there any "confirmed" rumours regarding him being available on the market in the summer ?

b. Do you feel that he would be a good addition if we were able to sign him ?

Thanks.

13. XCdude24

XCdude24 New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    UCSB
    I doubt Wenger would sign a soon to be 29 year old.

14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously guys, the Buffon fantasies have to stop. If he didn't leave Juve when they got relegated, why would he leave now? And if he did why would he choose a move to England over staying with an Italian team? Reportedly, Berlusconi has set his sights on bringing him to Milan if he chooses to leave Juve, and i doubt that Arsenal is going to outbid AC Milan. Its just never going to happen. Let's try to be realistic.

15. gooner4eva

gooner4eva New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Bangor University
    I WANT GREGORY COUPET, get away form the buffon bandwagon, and join my coupet one instead.

16. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Djourou will be good, but he is 20 and has a bit to learn, hence my call for "experienced". Another year of cup ties and maybe playing relegation fodder will do him good in the long run. So I'd agree Senderos is fine at 4th choice, I just don't think that Djourou should be third yet.

17. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Are you aware Coupet's 34 going on 35 this year?

18. Bergkamp_4_ever

Bergkamp_4_ever New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    WUDN'T U LYK 2 NO!
    a) I heard there was a chance he'd be headed to Juve.

b) Yes, but Antifan is probably right...at 29 I doubt it.

19. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antifan has some good points here, i think everyone is just dreaming what if he did. What do you think about Akinfeev though?

20. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
  21. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also want us to sign Akinfeev, but i have to admit its more of a gut feeling, as i've only seen him play against Arsenal. But he's young and his record is impressive. If he is as good as advertised he could be our goalkeeper for the next 15 years. And i don't think that he would be too expensive, as they're aren't alot of big teams in the market for a keeper right now.

22. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but you're delusional if you think Djourou "will be good" and that Djourou isn't good enough to be our third choice CB. He's already there, mate - and the facts are quite obvious. May I remind you that BOTH Djourou and Senderos have started for Arsenal at EVERY competition level (including CL) and both started for a WC team that didn't give up a goal during the entire compeition.

This year has definitely been a step back for Senderos, no question. But he missed nearly half our season due to his shoulder injury during the WC. He WILL return to form. I'm certain of it.

I fail to see how getting either of these players more "experience" at a club fighting relegation benefits them when they've each already succeeded at the world's highest possible stages (CL and WC).

And please, do tell where Arsenal can find more "experienced" central defenders than Djourou or Senderos that have already excelled at every level for club and country? Expecially given Arsene's pension for young talent, you certainly don't think we can find another up-and-comer with more "experience" than these two. And obviously, we won't pay top dollar for an established world class center back when we have other needs.

We have other needs: but Toure, Gallas, Djourou, and Senderos is a pool that any squad in the world would die for. Central Defense ISN'T a problem...

23. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he would be a good signing. Everything i read about him is good. He could be one of the better buys because like you say we wouldnt need another keeper for the next 15 years (him being only 20). That is if he realizes his potential.

All good points. However, you have to admit that Senderos does have some issues that need to be addressed over the summer. I think most of us would like to see us sell him and buy another prospect who doesnt have these issues. We could also make a profit off this transaction because im sure AW could find another gem for cheaper then the price we could get for Senderos. I think i would sacrifice Senderos experience for a less experienced player who isnt slower then molasses going uphill in January and who can position themselves correctly on the pitch when defending people.

24. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Djourou reminds me alot of Toure, He's naturally a midfielder, (Though Toure did play striker I do recall...), He's fast, athletic, he's actually taller than Toure. He's already powerful, in a different way than Senderos, and he's likely to gain alot of muscle before he turns 22.

Senderos on the other hand, isn't going to get much better, or stonger, the only things for him to learn are the things that kept Cygan out of the team, the ability to pass short (cygan was I feel one of the best long passer and headers we had when he left) and read the game well.

25. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no Senderos apologist. Just trying to keep some common sense around here. :cool: I'm not opposed to selling him, but I just don't think there are any better (and younger) options to be had for less money. To be sure, there aren't any up-and-coming talents we can acquire and expect to step in right away.

So I'm skeptical, but listening. IF we were to sell Senderos, how much could we expect? I'd estimate 5-6M GBP. I'm not sure how much this helps us... unless we have another ready-made replacement to slide in for Senderos

What's the status and progress of Connolly and Gilbert? If Senderos is sold, one of them is the possible replacement that makes the most sense to me.

I still think Senderos is better than anyone we can (realistically) bring in. Unless we already have someone in our reserves who can step in, I'm not interested.