"The Toronto FC phenomenon" according to FSC and ESPN

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by MLS Detroit, May 11, 2007.

1. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSC and ESPN in their telecasts and highlights over the past two weeks have mentioned on more than one occasion about the "phenomenon" of players not wanting to play in the lone Canadian MLS city. Max Bretos on the FSC report last night described the situation at Toronto FC as the "inmates running the asylum". My question to TFC fans is this: are the players really unhappy with living in Canada or is it simply a conflict with Mo Johnston? You have to admit that all of these recent trades sound suspicious.

2. cmonureds

cmonureds New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    I am not aware of anything in the media here about a poisonous atmosphere in the dressing room that is sending the players running to the hills. Perhasp a few RBNY supporters might have more insight on any personality conflicts that led to Mo's departure. The few player interviews I have seen, they speak highly of Mo and how they look forward to playing here. Personally, I think that as this is a new franchise, Mo is looking for motivated players to help boost results in the first year than might otherwise be had.

3. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Once everybody in the league plays a game in Toronto and realizes it is the best crowd in North America the mood will change drastically.

4. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    My guess is that Mo wants to find players who are happy to player there, as well as players who fit into his system. In fact, I really wouldn't be surprised if he's told his team that if any of them are unhappy playing in Canada, then he'd help them find somewhere else to play. By trading away these players, he earns the players respect by keeping his word, gets rid of players who are distracted, all during a time period when he knows the team will struggle. Once the team has settled down and establishes its identify, I doubt you see so much movement.

Hell, the Developmental Players should all be wanting to get traded to Toronto... with the conversion, they'll be making $14,300 CAN instead of $12,900 US. :rolleyes: - Pathetic

5. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If a player doesn't want to be here because he wants to be close to home or family or for other personal reasons of that sort, that's fine.

On the other hand, if a player doesn't want to come here because it's Canada, then that would be pretty bloody ignorant. Certainly, I couldn't see any European players thinking that way. They made the move to North America so Canada wouldn't be such a change from the USA.

As for the Chivas player who wouldn't come here, Chivas cut him so all he did was cut his MLS throat.

As for Bretos, if his opinions are idiotic as his play-by-play commentary, he's best ignored.

B

6. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'm sure it's not the weather, since Toronto's climate isn't much different than New York's or Chicago's.

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The American media is probably the problem more than anything. The Raports and Blue Jays and the players who [play for them get very little exposure in the US, so players see playing in Canada as a profile killer.

8. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Two words:

Ronnie O'Brien

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Two words:

Please explain

10. ExiledRed

ExiledRed New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Technically thats two and a half words

11. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    After my experience at the World Cup, I've learned that are some Americans that are blatantly ignorant. I doubt that comes a surprise anyone... look at who we've somehow managed to elect as our President... twice!

I don't think I meant that playing for a Canadian team might cause problems. I was thinking more from playing in Canada... i.e., moving to outside the US... further from family and home. After all, Toronto's an international city just like LA, New York, Miami, and DC... albeit much cleaner. :)

12. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    You've already seen how he is, it doesn't change.
    (...Kicking his teamate).

13. hodgkiss

hodgkiss New Member

May 21, 2006
    Toronto
    he kicked the bastard because he didn't want to play in canada and he was showing him where he can go! sorry, if you don't want to be here, get the hell out 'cause we don't want ya! you wanna wear shorts and tshirt all year around? then get the hell out! we only require men up here. no **************! go back home!

14. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    You will see about ROB........you will see......:rolleyes:

15. Steve36

Steve36 New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    MA
    Rome wasn't built in a day.
    You are a new team, and with or without Mo at the helm, you will turn things around.

16. Esky_mo

Esky_mo New Member

May 12, 2007
    Another 2 words "Max Bretos". Says it all really!

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Same with Roy Keane, never hurt Man United and it did wonders for Sunderland this year.

18. rat_1_ca

rat_1_ca New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Who the hell is this Max Bretos guy anyway. He thinks that he is the most knowlegable soccer guy on TV and his opinions are all that. I think he is an idiot. Wathching a game on FSC with Max and their 'in the studio' commentary is painful. If it was not for some of the good games that they carry...who could watch.

19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Not sure what the reason for players wanting to leave Toronto, but if it's because of the town, fans, etc., then those players have to be absolute morons. About fans, all you had to do was watch the FC- Fire game on TV. 'Nuff said. Yeah, and those Greek & Italian restaurants are awful. Not! I guess these players don't like to go out, or when they do they look for Mickey D's- something that reminds them of home. How sad.

20. newfie777

newfie777 New Member

May 4, 2007
    I second your sentiments...since the American medis does not like anyone outside their borders to be able to show them up in anything...hell we do it at hockey all the time...and now it could be time for soccer(football) as well...GO U REDS...

21. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    I cant see anybody playing a game in this environment and not wanting to play for this crowd.

Not trying to sound arrogant or anything but I really think Toronto is going to look like the jewel in the MLS crown by the end of the year.

Hopefully more of them games get picked up and put on HDNET.

22. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Seeing "The Toronto FC phenomenon" in the subject I figured this would be about the crowd. What a great atmosphere, that's the Toronto FC phenomenon.

23. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14,300 CAN = 12,872.45 USD :rolleyes:
    Signed, sealed and delivered.

All converting aside, the BMO field staff learned a new lesson: no projectiles should be thrown into the field on the grounds of removal from the site of competition. Well, that's what the Home Depot Center's people would do. Confetti is okay, though, but not seat cushions.

Just my two US cents. :D

24. gtasoccer

gtasoccer New Member

Mar 18, 2007
    There would have been more fans thrown out of BMO Field than attend a game at the Home Depot Center if they were tossing for that reason alone.

25. TFC4LIFE

TFC4LIFE New Member

May 12, 2007
    Milwaukee
    A) This isn't America.. We don't have to think that people throwing cushions are terrorists..

B) The players love it...

C) Toronto Star reporting on the game and the flying cushions..: "Toronto coach Mo Johnston said he loved the aerial wave of cushions, while admitting he took one to the head late in the game."

D) The fans loved it..

E) The TV audience loved it.

Just because a couple tightwads keep whining about how its dangerous doesn't mean we should actually listen to the whining..