The TIVO Challenge: reassessing Marvelle Wynne's game

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Michel_Platini, Jan 26, 2010.

1. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    I told you it's hard to overcome mental limitations, My "Cobes" just prove that.

2. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Its cool. Like I said, you've made some really good posts in this thread, so I respect that completely. It just drives me a little crazy to see players names spelled wrong. Nothing on you personally.

3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hear, here. We should all know who to spell.

Sorry GVPATS, but that was just too easy.

4. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    heheh..

5. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Funny thing is, I actually caught the who, how dyslexic slip immediately after posting it. I was just too damn lazy to change it.

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following last evening's display at central defender, perhaps more than one thread should be reopened . . . .

Posts 44 and 98 seem to address the old issues appropriately.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically what you're saying is you bumped a year old thread to pimp two of your own comments?

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhhh, funny stuff.

9. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I think it's a bit unfair to expect a defender to play a perfect game with zero mistakes

I think the real issue is this: are the mistakes part of a pattern? And are the mistake patterns evidence of brain farts, or examples of simply not doing basic technical things, or evidence of being horribly outclassed athletically?

For example, I think missed tackles in the final third are OK as long as you have cover and attacker has a very acute angle to the goalmouth. Remember the guy in the other kit has talent too

But if the guy is at top of the 18 and you have no cover, and you dive in...well, that's inexcusable.

It all depends.

10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^This. In the case of Wynne I've seen the same flaws in his game for a long time. In the case of someone like Gooch, I've seen him greatly improve areas of weakness (passing).

11. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    I would really like to see Wynne improve in this area--but he just hasn't. He still makes the same mistakes. His super human speed is probably what has limited his development. This guy is the fastest on the pitch in international matches.

Which means he has always been the fastest at every level of the game. Slower players have to to be smarter to keep up with their faster peers. I think is likely that Wynne has never not been the fastest--therefore he has never been pushed to develop his mental game until now at the upper echelons of the game.

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the staff should tie concrete blocks to his boots in training???

13. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    Yeah I think so. Or just up his boot size by 4, make him wear 3 pairs of socks, and then soak his feet before he plays.

14. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the rush to define Wynne's weaknesses his strength is too quickly discounted.

The goal on Saturday was text book on his problem. He's not great inside the box. He needs good communication and support to be okay. With the Rapids, Moor provides that. On Saturday a couple of minutes into the half nobody did.

There's another discussion on this forum about the doube-6, that mentions the incredibly high line the US played against the quick Chileans. Wynne enables that. He can keep the line, but he can recover when it gets beat.

Both things were evident with the Rapids all last season. The team kept a high line and was good at killing attacks well outside their box. They were weak on set plays, not necessarily because of Wynne, but there's a bit of subtraction occurring when he's in rather than someone who's stronger inside the box.

As always the question is, can he learn? Honest answer is I don't know. I do think that the situation on Saturday was tailored to his weaknesses - no communication, a cross into the box, and the stronger box defender stepping outside. That can be managed, but is it worth managing it? Hard to say, our center backs aren't fast and that hurts us at times as well - slower in players in the back are common, but that doesn't make it a virtue.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Thought Wynne showed tremendous improvement in his play at fullback. The positioning especially was much improved resulting in many fewer goals coming from his side.

Then he got moved to centerback. I have no doubt he can improve in his play there, but it's disappointing he re-signed with MLS. I was hoping he'd look to accelerate his career and game with a move to Europe.

16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is quite true and he adds a dimension defensively which we need.

Yep, I am surprised about this too. It had been mentioned that he was headed to Europe for a while now. (There was even a bit of a humorous moment when people had heard rumors and he was quoted as saying he had not heard them).

Does anyone know the source of the rumors and the situation around what had been considered a potential move?

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to keep piling on the guy, but he is such a terrible footballer that I can't imagine there are a bunch of teams in Europe looking to sign him.

Also, his technical skill should have been honed before signing with MLS. It wasn't. Very hard to improve tactical skill without technical skill to begin with.

I just don't see him improving in these areas enough to build a career in soccer overseas.

Edit:
    And when I say "terrible footballer" I'm talking about his potential for Europe and the USMNT. He's a fine MLS caliber defender.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Marvell Wynne lacks technical skills has to be one of screwier memes on BS this side of 'michael bradley is a card machine', 'EJ is lazy', and 'Dempsey has an attitude problem'.

What's real is that none of Chad Marshall, Geoff Cameron, Franklin, or Wynne chose to go overseas. MLS hasn't placed a defender in a top 5 league since Boca and Nelsen.

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So wait a minute. Are you saying Marvell Wynne is really good with a soccer ball?

Cause ummm....?????????