The time has come...

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FanOfFutbol, Aug 24, 2002.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings."

This is also a good time to think about what the WUSA fans that are not in, or close to, a WUSA city can do to help the league and what the league can, should, and is able to, do to help the far flung fans in their endeavors.

I have a couple of ideas and I have heard a LOT more in other threads and I just thought that a thread aimed at this, and this alone, would be a good idea.

In this thread I would hope that talk of play quality, expansion, contraction, team movement, trades, draft picks, referees, and other things like that will be at a minimum.

My two ideas:

1. Find a creative way to get more games on channels that most of the country can see. One game a week on PAX, or any other network is NOT enough and the games that are on strictly local channels do nothing to build the league.

2. Commit the league to the open cup and play the later games in cities that do not have a WUSA team. That means that the WUSA would play almost all of their games as an away game BUT that would be good for the league. Beginning with the quarterfinals the games should be in cities that do not have a WUSA team and should be double headers to draw the max fans.

These two would help the league get exposure and that would be a good thing.

I would like to hear other ideas and then, if there are any that are truly any good then maybe someone could formalize them and get them in front of the league.

I know that there is a supporters summit but it is impossible for many outlying fans to get there and, I believe, it takes more than just a summit to get anything to happen.

2. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    So then for example, Atlantians would never see the Beat play? How does that make sense?

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: The time has come...

I was talking about the Open Cup games. The regular season games would still be as always, half at home and the WUSA playoffs would not change.

I also siad that most of the WUSA games, again in the open cup, should be away, I did NOT even say that all Open Cup games should be away, however that would not be bad for Women's soccer.

I did say that from quaterfinals on the open cup games should be in cities without a WUSA team.

Nothing would change for WUSA games but there would be a participation in the Open Cup, something that women's soccer needs.

4. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    I disagree. You can't expand a league by ignoring hosting cities. That might piss a few home fans off.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: The time has come...

Games for the US Open Cup are different than the regular season for the league. Atlantians will still see the Beat play 10-11 games a season.

6. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    I think i'm on a different page.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mel, Do you know what the Open Cup is? If you do sorry for this short, well short for me, explanation.

An Open Cup is a competition that is open to virtually all teams under a particular umbrella. Like the US Open Cup for men is open to all men’s teams correctly registered in the US, and some in Canada as well.

Open cups are, in some cases, more important to teams that their regular leagues but, in most cases, they are considered "second" or even "third" tier competitions and opportunities to give the reserves playing time in meaningful games. Also they often serve as a way into some of the more prestigious club tournaments and higher level cup play.

The US Mens Open Cup has been won by teams from amateur to A-League to MLS. The A-League even have a few Open Cups since the MLS has been around.

It is a single knock out tournament that is played, mostly, through the same period as the league regular season and the games are scheduled around the league games. Sometimes league games are declaired to be Open Cup games as well. This happened in the A-League this year several times.

In the US the open cup games are, generally, not televised and poorly attended BUT they do provide great entertainment and the women could use them differently than the men.

The women could use the open cup games to get exposure of the WUSA to cities that are not ever likely to get a team BUT have a W-League team. Believe it or not a LOT of the W-League fans have never seen a WUSA team play.

If the tournament was set correctly the teams would have minimal travel until the quarterfinals and most of the teams in the quarters would be WUSA teams. I think there are only about two or three W-League teams that could have a chance to beat a WUSA side.

It is mainly about getting more games and placing those games in front of a public for whom it would be new.

As far as the number of games, the men do it and it does not seem to hurt play that much. In Europe it is MUCH worse. Of course in Europe most teams carry almost two full teams of players on their roster.

8. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    I know what an open cup is, thanks.

9. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    unfortunately, some of the biggest broadcasting companies in the US favor the little league world series games and championships televised nationally over the Founder's Cup...because the little league committee made a commitment with these broadcasting companies (namely espn and abc) and paid a large sum of money for the contract...does WUSA have as much money as the little league? no. not yet.

i do hope you and the supporters of the WUSA (myself included) find that creative way to promote the league...anything that can boost ticket sales and resuscitate its all-too-sudden bleaking popularity...

sadly, it may take a few more years to have the majority of american households appreciate the WUSA...two seasons alone does not guarantee widespread approval from the media and the people...

....even MLS still feels alienated around the core of american sports and they've been around since 1996 and has yet to see itself stand among the elite class of american sports, am. football and baseball to name a few.

i watched the founder's cup II on PAX channel this afternoon...too bad, not everyone has cable and many folks missed out on an exciting game...and mia hamm.

go spirit! [​IMG]

...ciao!
    ...the surfdiva

10. I have not heard anything about a US Women's Open Cup, although I would LOVE to see it happen with the WUSA, W-League, and WPSL (because I know about 5 players in this league). Any concrete evidence of plans for it in the near future?

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Women’s Open Cup has been played every year since 1996 here is the final results from those competitions.
    ==================
    US WOMEN'S OPEN CUP
    1996 Dallas Lightning 2, Sacramento Storm 1
    1997 Sacramento Storm 3, Dallas Lightning 2
    1998 Los Angeles Ajax 5, Dallas Lightning 0
    1999 San Diego Auto Trader 14, Patrick Real Wyckoff (NJ) 0
    2000 Ajax Fram (Manhattan Beach, CA) 2, Detroit Rocker Hawks 1
    2001 Detroit Rocker Hawks 1, Southern California Blues 0
    ==================

The WUSA chose, for whatever reason, to not support or play in this competition.

When the MLS started they chose to play in the men’s version of the same competition and it has been quite successful.

It is not easy to find much info about the US Women’s cup due to the fact that women’s sports and soccer both receive short shrift in the media so it takes quite a bit of effort to find anything meaningful and there are virtually no news stories. This works both in favor and against this being a good venue for women’s soccer.

We can debate the pros and cons of the WUSA participating in the US Open Cup but I would also like to hear other ideas to expand the fan pool of the WUSA beyond the cities that have teams.

As far as plans for the WUSA to play in the cup. I really doubt it because it would require that the league think creatively and look beyond the immediate gains.

12. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Duh...get on a normal channel. Not PAX. But this topic has been discussed ad nauseum by us so I'll move on.

I think the league should concentrate on their area. Grow and nuture current/new fans within xxx miles of their city. Yes there is a need to get fans from such far flung places as Wichita, KS and Missoula, MT. But we would need to hit up the local weed dealer and figure out how to do that. The reality that is the WUSA is that it's not truly a "National" league like the NBA or NFL. It's really still a very regional league.

-------------------------------------

I will say this though for the 741st time this season...I would LOVE for the league to have more audio webcasts. If it would be possible for the league to carry the audio of the RSN/PAX broadcasts..that would make many of this happy!!!