The thundering hooves of the NFL are approaching.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by detroitexpress, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    ...and every year they seem to obliterate MLS's post-season.

Do you think MLS could benefit by wrapping up their season & postseason prior to NFL and NCAA kickoffs?

And if so, how?

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    well considering that 84% of the country follow the NFL, you might want to consider playing the season a bit early.

3. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I would like to see MLS end the season earlier IMO. At least one month earlier from mid-September to mid-August. MLS Cup is schedule for September 20 right in the middle of american football season. I believe MLS teams play a 28 game schedule. Too many, just play every team home and away. Or at least cut four games. That would be 2 less weeks right there. Another factor is too many teams make the playoffs. Cut that from 8 to 4 and theres two weeks less right there. Theres a lot of ways to tweak the season schedule, but the way it is now I would guess more games more profit mentality for the owners.

MLS plays a lot of weekend games that contribute to season length. Basically all sport seasons will overlap each other.

4. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    what if they started the season in feb right after the NFL season and ended it in july with the playoffs in augest before NFL starts.

5. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    October 20

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many fans are going to go sit in columbus, denver, kansas city, boston, d.c., new york in february? yes, the hard core fans will. but mls needs to get the casual fan out to games. not going to happen in feb.

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Due to September 11th, the NFL's Super Bowl wasn't until February 2nd this past season.

Let's say you end the regular season on the 28th of July, as this is the last weekend of the month. Just for example's sake.

So...starting on that Monday, February 3rd and ending on July 28th would give you 175 days of season in which to fit in 28 regular season games, plus the U.S. Open Cup games, other international tournament games, exibitions, etc. Plus a weekend off for the all-star break.

In comparison:

1999: 246 season days (32 game schedule)
    2000: 211 season days (32 game schedule)
    2001: 197 season days (28 game schedule)
    2002: 211 season days (28 game schedule and WC)

So, by trying to fit 28 games into 175 days, you'd be compressing an already tight schedule.

Maybe if the regular seaosn ran from early february through August, then playoffs in September. That way you finish the regular season when the NFL is still playing exibitions, and you chop a month off the conflicts that develop with NFL teams and stadiums. Under this scenerio, you could end the season on September 1st this year (labor day weekend), and you'd have 210 season days to work with.

But how many of you think that you'll get 20K out in Chicago, Colorado, New York, Kansas City, Columbus, D.C., New England, in February weather?

8. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Dont cut down the regular season matches. Move up the season start to the first weekend in March and cut down the number of teams in the playoffs to 4. If MLS Cup can be held some time in mid-September then it wouldnt cut to much into football season.

9. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start the season at the beginning of March and let it run. Keep the focus of games on the weekends. Better attendance those days. Playoffs and Cup in September with fewer playoff teams (4).

I would like the season to be longer, pushing deeper into the fall, but that just isn't feasible right now. The offseason is too long as it is, but there are several factors in preventing a season lengthening. 1. There are too few teams to stretch out the season. The schedule has become a bit boring/repetitive as it is. 2. Control of stadiums. With the exception of Columbus and soon LA, we do not have 1st priority in scheduling. It would be too difficult working out the schedule. NE and KC would have an easier time. 3. As mentioned before, weather. Columbus is the obvious example. Freezing weather doesn't get the crowds out.

When does the cold weather really start in the midwest? Could the playoffs/final be in November or even possibly December?

Anybody have attendance figures, charting the drop, for MLS and NFL cities in the fall?

10. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I say who gives a rats ass about the NFL? Leave the schedule the same as it is, for now. People around here need to stop trying to work around all the other sports in America and just cheer for your club and the league. If people want to go watch the lame pointy ball league, let them. We don't need them. OK I'm done.

11. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What other teams are there other than the Crew and BlueJackets in Columbus?

12. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    I agree that MLS should start earlier. I hate seeing NFL markings on soccer fields, so if the season ended earlier I wouldn't have to see those ugly lines. Plus stadiums would love clearing up their schedules. Stupid NFL screws everything up.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Ohio State is Columbus' most popular professional team.

Sachin

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to NFL-style, knockout playoffs, higher seed at home, would chop 2 weeks off of the season.

15. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's face it....The playoffs themselves suck. Its not about the NFL. Why do you think so many of us care about the Supporters Sheild. Heck, we capitalize the damn words.

They don't think Americans would understand a 2-legged playoff, fine. Give us a 4 teams, 3 total games and be done with it.

We should always have an MLS Cup, we don't need 8 out of 10 teams in the playoffs.

Very Simple.

16. mlsfan31

mlsfan31 Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The answer is New F@#*ing Stadiums.

Oh and NE fans you are F@#*ed. You will always have NFL lines and logos for the rest of your lives. The NE owners are first NFL owners second MLS owners. It would cost too much to paint over Patriots lines and logos they will never do it.

17. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    MLS should consider scheduling matches for Saturdays and every other Wednesday. This would shorten an already overly long regular season and also leave Wednesday dates open for US Open and friendly matches to be scheduled. Even though weekday matches don't draw as well as weekend matches it might be a good way for the league to increase it's profile in a saturated sports market.

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting rid of the All-Star game (or moving it to a Wed. evening) would be a good way for MLS to gain another weekend for scheduling matches.

19. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    or even the home and home playoff format (the ONLY THING related to European soccer that I'd like to see in MLS) would help

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    isn't this pretty much what is done now?

21. umrebel96

umrebel96 New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Louisiana
    Anything to cut down the 8-team playoff format.

22. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I might be allowing my love of baseball to show, but I've never liked the principle of the two leg play-off. In Game 7 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals Patrick Roy gave up 6 goals, the Diamondbacks only won one game in World Series by one run, every other win was by a large margin. Everybody can have a bad day, everybody can get lucky bounces. A best-of series allows a good team to recover from a bad day. MLS should cut down the play-offs to four teams and use the best-of-three for all series, possibly even the MLS Cup itself. But in the latter case, I understand that the probably league wants a championship event, in the vein of the Super Bowl. Don't laugh about that last one.

23. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Not exactly. If teams played 6 times a month the regular season would end around mid-August. Even with the drawn out play-off format currently in use the MLS Cup would be played no later than the last week in September. The bottom line is that the entire season is at least one month too long.

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, the playoffs are a bit of a joke--how much drama can there be in the regular season if only two teams are NOT going to make the post-season?

Someday, there will be at least 16 teams in MLS. At that point, it would make sense to have eight teams.

Right now, MLS needs to quit acting in a knee-jerk fashion, doing things because "That's the way 'Major League' sports are played in the USA," and work with what they've got.

The post-season is WAY too long. Make it short, make it mean something, and I think you'd get decent attendences for those games, and decent TV ratings for the Cup.

25. Charlie Armstrong

Mar 7, 2001
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think you're half right...

No offense, but if we follow your advice in the second paragraph, then the first paragraph doesn't make much sense. Only in the screwed-up USA "'Major League' sports" does the idea of 50 percent of a league making the playoffs make any sense at all.

If there are 16 teams in MLS, then maybe a four team playoff field might make sense. It would depend on how the league schedule was arranged. If it were up to me, a 16-team league would have two divisions that played a very unbalanced schedule then had a championship series. Sort of like pre-1969 MLB with interleague play. Once you get to 24 teams, you can look at 4 divisions of 6 teams each. That's when a 4 team playoff system becomes a legitimate way to name a champion. Prior to that, owners are just talking about ways to "maximize their revenue stream."

Charlie in New Jersey