The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XVI

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jun 6, 2024.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for a new thread.

2. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Après moi, le déluge."

--Louis XV

patfan1 repped this.
  3. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    So Pep Guardiola was at the Celtics game last night, had a Celtics hoodie on and was cheering for the C's. He's also apparently tight with Joe Mazzula. Maybe one day.....

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, like that time George Weah was seen in public wearing a Yankees cap, and everyone knew he was going to sign with the MetroStars! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

5. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you imagine Pep going to the Krafts and saying, here's the list of players that I want! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

6. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Right? :D On the other hand didn't Twellman or someone like that say the Krafts would 'open the vaults' when they get their new stadium?

7. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I was thinking about Vrioni and his inability to score. I feel like the limited shots he gets always end up on target and away from the keeper, but that keepers routinely make the saves. This is different from other frustrating Strikers we've had, who routinely missed the net.

I'm wondering if there is something about the way Vrioni shoots that makes it easier for keepers to read him and make the saves he's at 3.5 xG as we near the halfway point of the season, which is pretty low for a striker in terms of shooting location quality. But he also isn't getting very many shots, so the .13 Sh/x% means the shots he is getting are actually fairly high quality. I can't find the PSxG numbers but he's got 13 SoT (so ~50% of his shots are on goal) and from my film memory I feel like he isn't shooting directly at the keeper every time.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not how I remember his season. I looked up his stats, he has 28 shots this year with only 12 on goal (2 goals). I think he's missed the net on more sitters than the two he has scored.

The last game stood out to me, because he actually got a shot on frame and forced Meara into a great save. That was not something I was used to seeing this year.

Esmir has 9 shots on goal in 300 fewer minutes than Vrioni.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, that's putting it kindly...

Euro 2024: Every MLS player to watch this summer
    MLSsoccer staff
    Friday, Jun 7, 2024, 06:34 PM

Henrich Ravas
    New England Revolution • Goalkeeper
    Team: Slovakia

(underlining mine)

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    It's definitely a LoL because Ivacic (so far) had clearly been a better GK for the revs.

Just in terms of base stats Ivacic (6 games, 9 GA, 78% sv%) is crushing Ravas (8 games, 17 GA, 65% sv%). But the advanced numbers paint an interesting picture. Per fbref opponent shot quality is down since adding Ivacic (0.28 PSxG/shot compared to Ravas at 0.34) so our defense has improved. Ivacic also has been given the green light to hoof it, almost 75% of his GK go long compared with 55% for Ivacic, and their touches during the run of play show a similar distribution.

ASA also agrees that Ivacic has been better, but that Ravas wasn't hurting the team. Ivacic has allowed 10 goals on 11 xG (8th/36 MLS GK with at least 360 minutes played on a /90 basis) whereas Ravas let in 17 on 17.06 (19th). So the team under Ivacic is clearly allowing fewer quality opportunities, even before he contributes his above average shot stopping.

So although Ivacic is clearly better and likely to keep the job, Ravas was solidly average in terms of contribution, and represents someone the revs could shop this summer (looking at Colorado for example) to open up a roster spot.

On Vrioni fbref has him at 13 SoT. Not sure how they disagree with you on SoT but w/e

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Banner 18!!!

Man, I so badly want this Revs team to enter the pantheon of Boston Champions....

rkupp and NFLPatriot repped this.
  12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the exact same thought this morning.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's been a remarkable century for our local teams. And I can't help but think how different things would be if the Revs had won even one time in the 5 attempts...

pwykes and NFLPatriot repped this.
  14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is always in the back of my mind and on the front of my mind when I pass through security at Terminal C. Even the Free Jacks have a banner.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Ivacic has the #1 spot locked down. Ravas is a talented keeper but has some flaws in his game that need to be fixed - and I think they can be.

Whenever he gets his next start for us (assuming he does, with rumors of a sale), I expect to see an improved product after Hitchcock has had some serious time to work with him.

Minutemanii repped this.
  16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree. I liked Ravas at first. A better option than Edwards but then he displayed some moments of indecision; enough to give me pause. Ivacic has shown to be solid all around!

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I didnt like the 2 goals he allowed vs Vancouver. Not because he allowed goals and thats a bad thing. But because in both cases he didnt even react to the ball. Maybe its an anticipation thing, or a footwork thing, but to see it twice in one game gives me pause about him being "solid all around".

And thats before any discussions on his passing ability. He goes long on nearly every touch, which might suit out team but is certainly not the way Ravas was being directed to play. I suspect its because Ivacic cant play out of the back at all.

pwykes and NFLPatriot repped this.
  18. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Ivacic is experienced enough to know he had no chance at those two balls.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe Ivacic knows that by rolling the ball out to one of his defenders, his experience tells him there's a good chance it will be coming right back at him from a dangerous spot...

20. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    In both cases they looked infinitely saveable, especially the long range effort for the 2nd goal. I think he thought both would miss the net.

21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    So Ravas has to play Porter's system or be benched, but Ivacic can do whatever he wants? Porter has done that fairly liberally this season it would be out of character for him to suddenly stop

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's often the difference between veterans and young players - and those who show results and those who don't.

That's what I remember from my college team - the goal-scorers knew they could do whatever they wanted (and knew the coach knew it).

23. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're watching the Euro's, Lalas is making an extra big clown of himself today. He's off-the-chart hyped up. It's really embarrassing to me as an American.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's absolutely awful.

Lalas has become one of those that believes his own hype. He says outrageous things just to get attention.

Minutemanii and BERich repped this.
  25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I have to say that Ian Darke is the one who most makes my head explode. If he’s not stating the the most obvious (“the Dutch want to win” - thank you Captain Obvious) or the completely irrelevant, then he’s displaying his British arrogance and delusion (still bringing up Beckham’s red card vs. Portugal and excusing it because of Ronaldo’s “knowing wink”).

And his partner LD is only about %95 useless.