The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIV

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the reply of the 2006 playoff game with Chicago on Saturday night. The one thing I took from re-watching the game, the level of play in MLS has definitely gotten better. It reminded me of a U-15 team I had. Working with them on 1 and 2 touch passing. If you are doing 1 touch passing, the pass should get closer than 5 yards of your attended target!! :D

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    My continuing frustration with the Revs has been with consistently inaccurate passing, even in non-pressure situation. That's the stuff you notice from players from elite leagues - that every pass not made under duress is spot on target, whether leading a player to space, playing into space or to foot/head.

Even when passing the ball around the back line, so often the receiver has to take an extra touch, a step back, etc. to adjust to what should be a simple pass. It all adds up in bogging down an attack and making a team less threatening.

A Casual Fan, Revs in 2010 and BERich repped this.
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember if it was 2/3 years ago that it seemed like we'd be in the midst of a counter, there would be one bad pass ... and all of a sudden we're passing it back to the keeper. We'd go from a 3 on 2 or a 3 on 3 to ... back to the keeper. Happening once in a game is OK, this seemed to happen all the time and was infuriating to watch.

4. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    On average, the first touch of a fair number of players is also still suspect. (Independent of the quality of any particular ball played to them.)

Teal in particular has feet of stone - nearly every time, the ball "gets air" the moment even a perfect pass reaches him.

Diego too seems to frequently struggle to corral cleanly a ball played to him. (he's also a prime offender in the passing department, often lifts the ball when there's no reason to do so, so it arrives ankle/shin high at the receiving player.)

It's the lack of that **crud** in other higher-level professional leagues that is the huge huge noticeable visible difference from MLS re: how the game is played.

i.e., the difference isn't primarily due to speed, its not athleticism, etc.

-- it really comes down to how well clean technique is brought to bear in the quick or simple moments - which I am convinced is a function of mental toughness/concentration.

i.e.,the technique shortfall in MLS is not an issue of "not enough reps" - it seems too too often an inability to bring full concentration to enough of the many moments of the game.​

VTSoccerFan and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Hmmm, methinks there's an All-Time Best 11 BackPassers waiting to be discussed.

>> Clyde Simms is my # draft choice for this team. Terrific guy, but oh my lord so few incisive passes.​

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Imad Baba has a safe place in this line-up.

ToMhIlL and A Casual Fan repped this.
  7. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All Time 11 Back Pass Maestros? Are we limiting it to Revs players, or allowing the league as a whole? Because there is a special place in Back Pass Hell for the likes of Mike Bradley and the infamous "Pass Back Pete" Vagenas.

BERich repped this.
  9. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with your whole post, but I want to point out that this last bit can be said of the vast majority of "american-grown" (either youth or college coached or both) players. One touch play, and crazy ball skills that are common in Brazilian kids at 10 or 12, just aren't part of most American kids' experience. This strikes me as being like languages -- comparatively easy to learn young, but very hard to learn once your brain is more mature. This is part of what was spectacular about Dempsey -- he had these skills and never let them get coached out of him.

10. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The all time best back pass I've seen live, belongs to Carlos Mendez, who wrong-footed Jon Conway from about 45 yards for the most improbable own goal ever. AND it was the game winner IIRC.

Crooked, BrianLBI and Doublecard repped this.
  11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    A sure-fire hall-of-famer in that category! He'd have me pulling my hair out. All it took was a defender to show up in front of him and he'd turn and go back.
    I remember this from coaching both boys and girls teams that in simple pass/trap drills, their attention was so hard to keep engaged. Instead of trying to make every touch 'inch perfect', their minds would be anywhere else. Contrast that to some kid in an academy in Europe or Latin America who knows that there are a thousand kids who would kill to get their opportunity and you can imagine the difference in focus.

I always took it as a personal challenge that no side-footed pass should ever make the receiver have to take a step - and that became my best skill.
    Ironically, Dempsey had to spend so much time practicing alone, since he grew up hundreds of miles from a team anywhere near his level.

And, Wynalda, because of his ADD or whatever, grew up kicking a ball against his house hundreds of times every day - that'll give you a pretty good touch.

VTSoccerFan and ToMhIlL repped this.
  12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Baba would drive me NUTS! The thing is, he had the skill to take on (and beat!) defenders 1 v 1, but he rarely did.

13. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are not alone -- my all time favorite Baba story: Imad had overlapped JMM on the right wing and Moore laid a beautiful pass to right where Baba should have been right near the corner flag but Baba had stopped his run just as JMM released the pass (would have been a wide open opportunity for a cross). The ball rolled out for a GK, and JMM (about 30 feet from my seat at the old Foxboro stadium) threw his arms in the air, and SCREAMED "Imad!"

The only saving graces of the old stadium. Real grass and in the front few rows you felt like you were right on top of the action.

14. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    K League puts an interesting twist on "social distancing"

Let's just say sex dolls >> tarps on empty seats:ROFLMAO:

A Casual Fan repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He also mentioned (don't know if it was part of that interview) that we don't need to be playing the national anthem at all sports events - I've felt that way for a long time, as it seems to be trickling down to more and more sports events (ex., youth soccer tournaments). It's become a test of nationalism IMO.

Part of his point was that for MLS games many, if not most, of the players aren't US born, so they are just passive participants.

A Casual Fan, CTREVS and ToMhIlL repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I always thought the National Anthem before sports is something we can do without. It started in WWII and just continued ever since. It used to be just on special occasions like Opening day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc. I can see it for National Team games but for domestic MLS games, it's not necessary.

Things have gone too over-the-top in recent years for nationalism and glorifying the military, etc. It has it's place, but not everywhere.

BERich and CTREVS repped this.
  18. CTREVS

CTREVS Member

New England Revolution
    Apr 18, 2002
    Hamden
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been to soccer matches in 5 countries outside the US and a Rugby match in England, At precisely NONE of these was a national anthem played. I'm pretty sure in most countries across the world the National anthem is reserved for cases where it's country against country and not pro club against pro club.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. National team games it is the norm (which makes sense), but for club games in a domestic league, most of the time clubs have their own "anthem" or some sort of song where the players walk out to it and the supporters sing, etc.

20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Ok, I've searched the boards here, and the internets in general as well, to no avail.

So those of you of a certain age: I vaguely recall an association of "LPFK" with the Revs. (For example, was that sign on Cambridge St used for printed copies of POCM?)

Maybe I am, in the words of Roger Clemens, "misremembering"....

21. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, that POCM had LPFK (as a section/regular feature, IIRC).

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. And if I'm remembering right (@ToMhIlL please correct me), this was Evan Whitney's piece.

23. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

LPFK.jpg

ToMhIlL repped this.
  24. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
  25. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Casual Fan and NFLPatriot repped this.