The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIV

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A "reporter" writes an article that says that team X beat team Y, and goes into detail about how that happened, describing key plays and maybe gets a few relevant quotes.

A "columnist" is someone like Shaughnessey, who just spouts his opinion, facts and truth be damned. I remember one time Jim Rice threatened to shove a bat up his ass over something he wrote, so he has always been a dick on purpose. He hasn't written a relevant thought in at least 30 years so taking a pot-shot at the Revs should not be a surprise to anyone. At least he didn't wonder whether the sweeper was the guy who uses a broom to clean the stadium after the game, ho ho ho ho! Funny guy! He used that line like clockwork, every 4 years for about 6 world cups in a row.

propnut27 repped this.
  2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think Shaughnessy actually writes some good columns, but this wasn't one of them (or at least not that part - I don't even remember what the general point was). And, I cringe when he talks about Pats opponents as tomato cans, although the analogy is pretty cute.

And, I don't think it's fair to paint all columnists with the facts and truths be damned label - most adhere to pretty high standards, do fact checking, etc. But, this is the age of Fox News, so clearly journalistic standards are under assault.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Doublecard and NFLPatriot repped this.
  4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    propnut27, rkane1226, NFLPatriot and 2 others repped this.
  5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    There's nearly another generation out there not aware that this community is still hanging on.

The funny part is that a lot of the early twitterers went there because of the so-called pervading negativity of BigSoccer. Now, a lot of them lodge similar complaints about the negativity of the #NERevs hashtag on Twitter.

It's got nothing to do with the format of the tools you use to converse, it's all about what the team is doing, and how the fans are reacting. Negativity, positivity, pragmatism, all are present on each one of the different social media tools.

(Related observation: the amount of accusations of "negativity" on these boards seems to have declined in direct proportion to an increase in good decision-making by the ownership and front-office. Funny coincidence, that.)

TOAzer, VTSoccerFan, a517dogg and 4 others repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As one of the formerly loudest Nattering Nabobs of Negativity, what changed me into a fairly thirsty (but not quite ready for Kool-Aid) commentator was when the Krafts actually recognized they had to actually do something to make a 180-degree turn. Sure, it was about 10 years too late, but, dicking around by putting the team in the hands of people who were either too clueless, inexperienced or incompetent was doing no one any good, least of all themselves. They saw the success the Patriots have had with Bellichick, and they brought in the closest thing they could find to the soccer version of him.

And, it seems with the acquisition of Gustavo Bou this summer, they were willing to let him do his thing, which is pretty remarkable. Sure, they let Friedel spend $1 million on a player, but I would tend to trust that Arena could do better with those kinds of resources available to him.

TOAzer, propnut27, pwykes and 2 others repped this.
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. And both you and I (and others here) got suckered in when they brought in JJ, and even showed up at the LA MLS Cup. They went right back to their normal methods though.

This shows that no one here really wanted this team to fail, and kept wishing "this is the move that will change how things are run" ... and it didn't happen till Year 24.

pwykes, Feldspar, Doublecard and 2 others repped this.
  8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know the saying, measure 24 times cut once

TOAzer, NFLPatriot and A Casual Fan repped this.
  9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    At the time I thought people were drawing the wrong conclusions re: signing Jones. IMO, they were only following what they had stated as their requirements for paying big money for a DP: a star player on the field, big attendance draw, well-recognizable and popular player.

I felt (and said) at the time that I didn't think it signally any kind of change.

I do think the combination of hiring Arena and dropping Burns does signal a change in one respect (giving over more control), but OTOH, I think (and have said) that I felt that they have always wanted a Belichickian-type for the Revs-side to make decisions that they aren't confident enough in making. So, the control they've given Arena is new, but I think they've always been ready to do that for the right manager.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I was just over at BC to watch their NCAA Tournament win over Yale (3-0), recalling with a friend having seen Ale Bedoya and Charlie Davies (and Cole DeNormandie) there years before. I often saw Steve Nicol and other Rev coaches there scouting ACC/BE players.

A great run, coach, a lot to be proud of. Congrats!

msilverstein47 repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so apparently Mass United was playing down in Maryland in the Northeast Region UPSL championship match...1-1 tie in the second half and there was a skirmish and the referee produced a red card. Someone on the Mass United bench possibly either the Coach or an Assistant Coach then punched the referee in the face...sigh.

https://www.massunitedfc.com/news/2019/12/14/official-statement---dec-14-2019

14. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awful story. Don't know the details,but I hope they figure out the right perp on this. On a humorous note, my first thought was Joey Franchino is coaching now, and Cletus has come back as a ref? :rolleyes:

TOAzer repped this.
  15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I was on a club team years ago where one of our teammates did that (punched the ref). Obviously a very regrettable incident (pretty nice guy, outside of that episode). Of course he was immediately kicked off our club. And, not to blame the victim or anything, but the ref handled it very poorly - seeming intent on humiliating the player, rather than de-escalating the situation.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Bruce Arena basically invented the DP (Beckham) rule.
    Who's to say we won't find a way for a 4th dp by winter?
    Who are the revs?! imagine being this optimistic a year ago? i'd get sectioned

TOAzer repped this.
  18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    My pipe dream is still alive: Pafos are shopping Danny Williams

I still think Bruce burned that bridge, but a double pivot of Caicedo and Williams would be saucy

19. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Let me preface this by saying I've never gone to school for this, but I was always great in English class, and I excelled in creative writing which I turned into rap music (different post different day.. inbox me) - but I feel with the internet, you don't need to go to college to do what you're good at.

I wrote this as my first stab at sports journalism.

https://www.facebook.com/larry.beatzkhed/posts/873657243050404

Attached Files:

20. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sorry for double post, but just making it easier to access the content from my previous post.

----

If you know who the New England Revolution are, or have followed them in any sort of capacity over their 24 years in operation, you'd probably realize that it'd be borderline psychotic to be as big a follower as myself and many others throughout this time.
    I remember coming from 98-2001 with my parents and Christmas '01 and I got season tickets for the next season, and got to tour CMGI Field (Now Gillette Stadium) when they opened it and that sold me on the team for life almost instantly.

Granted many of the Revs "glory years" or the Twellman Era of Red and Dread with Dempsey and Ralston were before the DP rule, Steve Nicol didnt have the chance to succeed in any sort of way like whats happening now, but for lack of better word and with passion overloading, we ********in dominated

We've made it all the way to MLS Cup 5 times and lost.

We spent the last 10 years under the garbage management of Mike Burns who couldn't even defend the far post. We'd get a few players not terrible enough to cut by the end of the season in the winter transfer window, and then they'd be gone.

While Jay Heaps and Brad Friedel are probably nice enough guys to kick it with and talk soccer and have a beer, they were NOT what this club needed from a head coach.

Bruce Arena, the most winningest coach in MLS history has taken over on all aspects. He took the same team that had lost by a combined score of 15-4 to being unbeaten in 11 straight games.

We had a total of 11 designated players over the 10 + years the rule has been expanded, but never more than one at a time, with the rule allowing for 3 for a number of years now.

We currrently have three on the roster, and Carles Gil and Gustavo Bou have been with the team for half of a season together, and we all saw what they did, and Buksa seems to have enormous potential.
    Additionally, we've brought back 2 different servicable players to the squad from previous reiterations of this team, and signed some squad players with decent pedigree

They built and opened a $45M training facility in Gillette Stadiums' back yard.

This is everything I've ever wanted.
    #NETID

NFLPatriot repped this.
  21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001

Attached Files:

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes sir. I used to constantly complain about this team. My wife would get incensed with me and would ask me why I kept buying season tickets. I said because they are my team and I'm NETID. She didn't get it. She only heard my bellyaching. Poor thing -that I put her through it. I said, I committed to the team years ago. I can't change that now. It's part of me.

Oh and, BTW, I have not complained once since Smokey The Bear told the Kraft's, Fire Burns and Bruce came in. Nope... I just know things are finally headed in the direction of where we need to be!

Fire Burnsfb.jpg

Sachem07 and NFLPatriot repped this.
  24. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Imagine if we had these when we were 12?
    Even better, we got em when we're 40.

25. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Has Kraft hedged his bets towards the Revs knowing the Patriots are on their way out from the Dynasty years? Tom Brady was 12 when I was born, and reportedly getting an extension til he's almost 50?