The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIV

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    85% sure I just saw Scotty on my way home from work today in Braintree.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's his stomping grounds.

I'm sort of sure that I once saw Doug Flutie coming out of a pizza place in Natick.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Another Flutie/soccer anecdote: I was playing in a Futsal league years ago and there was a team that Flutie was playing for. I was so psyched to have a chance to go up against him, but that was the weekend of the NFL Pro Bowl and some QB was ruled out with an injury and Flutie was called in to replace him ... and I never got that chance. :mad:

4. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    This season is fun.

That's the post.

Crooked, Revs In First :) and ktsd repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The USWNT may not have played well enough to get much further, but that PK call was bogus - a defending WC-champion shouldn't have to go out that way.

I'm shocked at how invisible our local Sam Mewis was - after being so dominant at the WC. And, Rose Lavelle, another rising star wasn't much better.

Overall, our attacking players like Tobin Heath and Alex Morgan were very disappointing. Rapinoe was less that she had been in the past, but given her age that would be expected. We seem to be very good at scoring offside goals and running up scores on weak opponents, but our passing and ball-handling was too clumsy against good quality opponents.

I thought our brightest spots were Crystal Dunn (despite her erratic defending) and Linda Williams. More like that, please.

patfan1 repped this.
  6. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Well well well, crappity crap indeed, this just may have been a "jinx" post.

I'll be sure to refrain from this type of unwarranted irrational exuberance going forward.

7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

Feldspar and pwykes repped this.
  8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Women's Olympic final winds up with the winning team unable to manage a goal from the run of play (or anything other than a PK) throughout the knockout stages.

Where was England (sorry, GB), France?

Pretty poor showing for women's football overall IMO.

9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe France were eliminated from the Olympics when the USWNT beat them in Paris during the WWC.

That is how screwed up EUAFA qualifying for Olympic Women's Soccer is.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Maybe those were pandemic rules - to avoid 'extra' games?

Still, a huge loss to the competition. And, I imagine playing as GBR probably took a lot of the cohesion out of the England team that looked so good in the WWC.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BrianLBI and A Casual Fan repped this.
  12. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely a huge loss.

But I don’t think it was pandemic rules. I recall at the time of the World Cup loss hearing that it put them out of the Olympics. Well before COVID.

https://girlssoccernetwork.com/france-germany-olympics/

13. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to play against a team he and his brother played on at the old John Smith indoor facility in Milford.

14. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pleasant surprise at Walgreen's this evening...
    IMG_2781.jpg

A Casual Fan and NFLPatriot repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really should be the Ben Franklin Cup. Because, you know, was Ben Franklin a Bostonian, or a Philadelphian?

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be fine, except the Philly supporters group is Sons of Ben, which kind of ruins it. The Midnight Riders are, metaphorically, the Sons of Paul, so the Franklin-Revere Cup might work, but that just sounds awkward.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Saw that - that was about as high quality ceremonial first pitch that you'll ever see. He probably could have been a serious pitcher (if he had some off-speed stuff). Clearly being able to throw a soccer ball out to the wing at midfield develops a pretty strong pitching arm!

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Ah, thanks for that. They really should reform the qualification, since the best teams are clearly not well distributed around the world. Latin-America, other than Brazil, and Africa are way, way behind; CONCACAF is the US and Canada; Asia just Japan and China along with the Oceania duo of the Matildas/NZ; nothing from Eastern Europe or the middle east - and a stacked (and rapidly improving) western Europe.

Maybe a pre-olympic tournament, following an expended qualifying, to eliminate the no-chancers.

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I imagine he was the kind of guy you'd bump into and be shocked at the inertia he brought.

I played in college against West Point and I swear those guys were made out of concrete and steel.

21. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was was most impressive was the quickness. His brother Darren too. Very quick. Not much skill but they were both a force to be reckoned with.

22. BrianGockley

BrianGockley New Member

NE Revolution
    United States
    Feb 3, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivalry names with Philly:
    Independence Cup
    Colonial Cup
    Declarations Cup
    Minutemen Cup
    Wicked With Cup (you know, like a mix of Bastan's Wicked with Philly's steak w/cheese)
    Ben Adams Cup

I'm out ;)

23. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    The independence cup?

24. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    You do realize Uruguay and Argentina are in Conmebol as well as Brazil and have each won multiple world cups right?

25. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we could get Montreal to go along with the Maple Syrup Derby.

NFLPatriot repped this.