The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIV

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm always reminded of Terry Francona's handling of Dustin Pedroia (among many other examples in all pro sports), that great coaches realize that it's often worth sticking with a struggling player and have the faith that they'll figure it out (since it's Dustin Pedroia night tonight, his example stands out - that was the time when fans were all over Francona to sit him down, but he resisting the fan/media pressure and the result, as Pedey loved to point out ... "laser show!").

I've developed a ton of faith in Arena is his short time here. He's stuck with Bou with his ups and downs and been rewarded for that faith; he's stuck with Buksa and has gotten good production out of him - if he's sticking with Traustason, as he seems to be, I'll have faith that he knows what he's doing.

Since there's been no information about Kaptoum, it's really hard to know whether he'll be back and become a factor at some point.

Even if Mafla gets healthy, it's going to be tough for him to supplant DeJuan Jones at this point - and even if he does, it seems like he'll always be a significant injury risk. I'm sure that's one of the reasons we got DeLa Garza - though he hasn't played and we don't really know what he has left.

And, ditto for Boateng.

I think our biggest need is a better two-way DM, to replace Polster. That, and maybe an upgrade for Farrell (but, that ain't happening).

Sachem07 and teskicks repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good read that I think some of the old timers especially will appreciate. The Bent Musket had a nice interview with BOD.

Crooked, Steve_R and NFLPatriot repped this.
  3. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. When Matt Doyle talked up Jones as a potential break-out candidate this year, I was pretty skeptical. And I couldn't understand why he kept starting, since there was so little end product. But, as you say, Arena knows what he's about, and you can see Jones getting better and better each game.

And it's a further reminder that while the MLS Superdraft may be an afterthought for every other team in MLS... it's not for the Revs!

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, great point. Someone pointed out that the whole Revs starting back line (when Kessler is in the lineup) are draftees. Turner was an undrafted signee, though also a US college player. Rev picks in bold: there's Buchanon (9th), Bunbury (4th), Bye (8th), De La Garza (19th), Farrell (1st), Jones (11th), Kessler (6th), Kizza (24th), McNamara (20th) and Polster (7th).

5. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Do I *HAVE* to sit down if a fan requests that I sit? I was in 107 and especially in the second half, I was spending most of my time standing and following chants coming from the fort.

I'm happy to move outta your sight line. I'm more than likely to sit down during extended slow periods of play. But if you're just gonna be an angry grouch about it, I'm gonna tell you to engage in intercourse with yourself, and stand up with me, especially in minute 86.

Admittedly, I was bringing a first timer to a Revs game, and I wasnt sure he'd want to stand in the fort the entire game etc. He made a comment to me that he wanted to stand up and cheer and yell with me, but he was worried cuz of all the people giving me dirty looks.

Prolly just do that next time. I woulda joined the march but I was juggling 2 beers that cost like a weeks salary

6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The midfield crowd is pretty mixed, but, yeah, probably not the best place to stand for much of the game if there are folks behind you. My .02.

I watch every second pretty intently, but there are people with their heads in their phones, kids harassing the parents for ice cream, popcorn, you-name-it. At least these days, there are enough open pockets that you should be able to find some open space where you won't bother anyone but the most extreme grouches.

Sachem07 repped this.
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have the type of fan base that will stand the full 90 like some of the other MLS stadia do. It's disappointing (at least to this member of the Fort), but I've just accepted it. We also travel horribly, but that's a different story.

8. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we want a more supporter driven environment, the stadium has to be addressed. As our situation is currently constituted, we'll always an environment that is mainly family-friendly with the supporters culture effectively pigeon holed in specific sections. Only an appropriate sized urban stadium would have a chance to reverse that dichotomy.

9. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My knees won't tolerate standing on concrete for the full 90. Heck, it was bad enough yesterday having to stand in the concourse during the rain delay! The one thing I've learned over the years is, don't sit anywhere near the aisles. The endless parade of people going to and coming from the concessions will kind of ruin your day.

asctester, pwykes and A Casual Fan repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Maybe our fan-base is just more nuanced ;). I just want to watch every second on the game, so standing, chanting, etc. aren't really my thing. I don't think that makes me a bad fan; more the opposite I would think.

Some want the standing and chanting, some want an event for their kids who are coming up in the game, others just are interested in the play on the field, or the team or the sport ...

11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    <HUMOR> Maybe if more people stood, the travel rate would improve.</HUMOR>

As do I. Most often from a seated position. ("Watching intently" and ***standing*** aren't exclusive to each other.)

For many (most?) fans, standing at all times doesn't make the game any more inherently enjoyable. (Keep in mind the fans at Bruins, Celtics, Sox, etc. don't stand the whole game. But somehow many of them are still considered "real" fans, LOL)

Not sure why there's a "demand" from some that all fans should stand the whole game. And based on what I see on social media and here, this demand to stand is also often accompanied by an assumption (or even "accusation") that any fans who are sitting aren't paying attention.

(Of course, it is true that some who are seated aren't paying attention at times - AND there are some fans in the Fort also not paying attention at times, despite their standing up.)

----------------------------------------------------

I paid for a seat, I choose to use it - as a seat. Now, if I paid for a seat where the "norm" was to stand, I'd need to adjust to the norm. And I'd stand.

But that's why I usually choose a section where the norm is for fans to sit in their seat. As I tell my kids often, one needs to be aware of their surroundings. AKA, "read the room."

asctester and Brazile repped this.
  12. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer to sit and watch the game. I coached for over 20 years, so I have stood for many a game! When I lived in Raleigh, I had season tickets to the then Railhawks (now NCFC). A fellow coach sat in front of me and occasionally he would invite his buddy to the game. His buddy had his USSF A coaching license. During those games, we would sit there and discuss the tactics that were going on during the game. Now that was fun!

As for the notion that you should stand during a soccer game; that's from the English. Their first stadiums didn't have seats. They were just metal rows that you stood on. So you couldn't sit.

13. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too am squarely in the sit and analyze camp. I love the atmosphere coming from the fort but that is not how I like to take in the games. I coached for 20+ years after playing for close to that long. We sit in front of someone who is still coaching a HS team in CT. I love the discussions we have.

What I don't like is someone else telling me how to be a fan. The "Stand Up" chant is irritating and makes me want to stay in my seat. I don't tell you how to be a fan. Please don't tell me how to be a fan.

asctester, Sachem07 and A Casual Fan repped this.
  14. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm glad I was able to bring a real discussion to the board. I'd like to say I'm kind of in the middle. I'm happy to sit and analyze the game, but in a game like the Toronto game where we started off poorly, and were coming back, I was certainly in the frame of mind of standing up and yelling for our guys to turn it up and at least get the equalizer. I don't think its necessary to stand up for the ENTIRE game, but when I'm sitting and intently watching, I'm waiting for the moment to stand up and spur my team on to do well.

I'm still glad that we have the sit and watch, get your kicks crowd, or we might not still have a team, but I think that I may find myself better suited in the fort moving forward.

teskicks and BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    What a great weekend for international soccer - classic finals in the Copa America and European Cup. Of course, I'm happy, because both of my favored teams (and favorite player) won, but they were both great battles.

16. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Any idea who the player is that Bruce was referring to on Coffee with the Coach?

Not an exact quote, but he said there was a guy that they had been watching for ~18 months that they were hoping to sign in the next week or two?

I'm thinking we see a CDM come into the fold. Kaptoum and Caicedo could have been a great pairing, but it's looking highly unlikely that we ever see that.
    Wasn't there a guy from Wolves that a lot of people were high on? Jack Price?

edcrocker repped this.
  17. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Tajon vs. Turner tonight.

As much as I want Matt to get another clean sheet, I'd really love to see Buchanan get a goal tonight.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the chance that we might lose Turner and Tajon in the next few months, I'm trying to remember if there was anyone outside of Dempsey and JMM that we lost to one of the "big-five" leagues? Dempsey was ours to begin with (through the draft) and JMM had played elsewhere for two years before joining us, so I feel like these two would be the first since Deuce to head overseas this way (again, to a "Big-Five" league). Or am I missing someone?

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Don't think so. We've had a few come in the other direction, but I don't think we've exported anyone bigger than the 2 you mention.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I haven't (fully) lost my memory.

21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Only other big export off the top of my head would be Parky going to nordjaelland in Denmark, and that's a far cry from the big 5

22. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adin Brown?

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.
    Yep, he went to Norway ... but again, not one of the Big 5.

I'm just going by the Big 5 that is usually mentioned: England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain.

24. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a move to a big 5 league, but I thought the A.J. Soares move to Norway hurt the Revs. I thought he was a steady performer for the Revs and because it happened under the old regime it took years to replace him.

Fondly remember him dumping the Galaxy keeper on his face in the MLS Cup final :

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States