The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XIII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!

Is there such a thing as "real LA" in the most plastic, fake culture in the whole country? OK, LA is a big city and there are a ton of regular everyday people who live and work there and do all the "normal" things in life that everyone else does, but I have to laugh at anyone who uses any suggestion of "authenticity" with "Los Angeles."

TOAzer repped this.
  2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think that's just the point. Pretty much every team in LA uses the Hollywood sign, palm trees, stars, etc. to market themselves, whereas LAFC has marketed itself more around the ethnic groups that make LA (outside of Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, etc.) an incredible diverse place.

a517dogg repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
  4. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCourt bought Marseille for €45M. Now an English billionaire buys Nice for €100M.

I’m not going to say Ligue 1 is some fantastic league but it still leaves me scratching my head on MLS entry fees.

5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Because MLS is the Hotel California. "You can check in anytime you want but you can never leave"

TOAzer repped this.
  6. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    TOAzer and ToMhIlL repped this.
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Casual Fan repped this.
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah! I got that reference immediately.

Also, you can't forget the epic EC final where Dempsey did his "stop, drop and roll" celebration, because everyone knows that's how you put out a Fire!

TOAzer and BrianLBI repped this.
  9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think of it, I just want to say that one of the best things about the Arena era has been the end of the infighting and bitterness on this board. The Friedel/Burns era was understandably frustrating, but it was doubly so how it ended up getting folks here so angry at each other. It’s so nice that we’ve gotten back to a point where things are upbeat and friendly again!

TOAzer, NFLPatriot, A Casual Fan and 3 others repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HEY! What are you talkin' about? No one here likes to fight and argue, and I will thrash you within an inch of your life to prove that point! :mad: :whistling:

Feldspar and A Casual Fan repped this.
  11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I cant help but look at this bit of Revs history through an even more-Burnsy lens knowing now what we do about Burns and his actions during L'Affaire du Landing Jones.

Given how there has been very little public comment from Revs over the years on the workings of this particular sausage factory, the Revs NOW making a comment on this (and at any point in the future) feels different in this new context. Feels like a there's perhaps a poke at Burns somehow. I'm not exactly sure how it is; but I felt a glimmer of that when I first saw this tweet.

(I cant re-find the source with the story of Burns declining Jones, only to have other Revs powers step in and force the issue with MLS - anyone else have it?)

TOAzer repped this.
  12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TOAzer, VTSoccerFan and A Casual Fan repped this.
  13. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    While those aren't entry fees that are being paid for those clubs, I get that the value of having a team in those leagues would seem to worth more than an MLS entry fee. It does however point to the perceived value of the US soccer market.

TOAzer repped this.
  14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd wager that Marseille and Nice both come encumbered with some significant debt. The longer MLS can build itself as one of the very few financially stable higher leagues in the world, the more enticing ownership of one of its teams will be.

15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Nice only has 22M Euros of debt. He is also buying Allianz Arena for 250M Euros on top of the 100M for the team. I read somewhere that the squad is considered worth about 155M euros.

https://onefootball.com/fr/news/nic...lub-et-le-stade-fr-25717715?variable=20190825

Red Bull and Man City seem to have invested in MLS as part of a feeder system? Chivas... well we know what happened. Other than Beckham’s Miami (maybe) is there much foreign interest in the great potential of MLS? Is it fair to say that only American investors seem willing to shell out the MLS franchise fee and build a stadium to boot?

I acknowledge the prior responses about MLS and they are valid. I’m not trying to put the league down. I’m just trying to make sense of the value proposition. I’m back to comparing a 350M euro investment to get a about 383M of net assets (well we don’t know what the payroll and the facilities represent...) to the situation in MLS where it is around $250M to enter and you have to build a $250M stadium in most cases. $500M to enter... I get that MLS may have potential but I’d be more convinced if TV revenue and salaries were rising faster than we’ve seen.

Ratcliffe will be in the stands Wednesday night watching his new purchase in action. St. Louis investors will be waiting 2 (more) years to play (and who knows how long until they see their team in a new stadium). So no revenues from operations for a long time. It just seems a striking contrast.

FtCollins repped this.
  16. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Agreed, but it should hopefully signal to the players union that there is more money in MLS than perhaps MLS is leading on. It would be interesting to see the difference between the presentations MLS makes to prospective owners and the one they make to players about the financial stability and possibility of MLS!

BERich repped this.
  17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's easy.
    To the players they go with "Hey, look at that dirty scrungy bottle you guys want to take a piss in. So obviously half empty!"
    To the prospective owners they go with "Hey, look at that translucent and shiny Jeroboam you guys would love to take a swig from. So magnificently half full!"

Like Backbiter, the truth can be made to cut both ways.

18. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting fact: The REVs are tied with NYCFC for fewest away losses in the Eastern Conference. After the road futility over the past years who would have thunk it?

19. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    (Emphasis mine)

Buying a new MLS franchise is an excuse to build a new stadium, and new stadiums are cash cows for club owners. Even if the build costs are split 50/50 (and usually the public pays well over 50%) the club keeps the VAST majority of the revenues, like naming rights and parking and concessions and sponsorships, and they almost never pay property taxes based on the full value of the property, if any. The public is often on the hook for all maintenance and every 10 years or so the clubs get government handouts for further upgrades.

Also, in MLS there is no fear of relegation. In most of the rest of the world, the possibility of relegation could artificially reduce club values.

BERich repped this.
  20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, ATL has twice as many road losses (8) as the Revs (4). How crazy is that?

21. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    pwykes and tsb11 repped this.
  23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    There's an interesting article in The Athletic, referenced by an article on the NESN website (for those without a subscription to The Athletic) about how Julian Edelman and Bruce Arena met and got to be friends. Edelman is credited with helping convince Arena to come to the Revs.

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    #499 rkupp, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    I'm actually surprised it hasn't been brought up, but Charlie Davies had some really pointed (and explicit) comments about Mike Burns and the bad contracts he signed players to last week. Unusual because it was so clear and direct.

If you’re a Revolution fan, you are just overjoyed that the team went from bottom of the Eastern Conference, bottom of the league in goal differential. You lost a GM who couldn’t sign a player, who gave the worst contracts to players

Wow, shots fired.

I think I can understand some bitterness from Davies - he had fallen pretty low after his accident and failed attempts to come back. The Revs did give him a chance - which did help him revive his career - but he had to swallow a pretty low salary that was a fraction of what he was making a few years earlier.

But, more likely I guess, is that he is speaking for a lot of the guys that he shared the locker room with.

25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Wow. Where was this? Article or radio interview?