The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the odds would be pretty good that's gonna happen

2. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    How did you know?!?!?

Incidentally, there was no mention in the invite of when the event's corporate sponsor, Reynolds Wrap, will distribute the aluminum foil for the fashioning of headwear. :p

RevsLiverpool and NFLPatriot repped this.
  3. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
  4. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just like to thank the Revs for making this year's magnetic calendar in a larger format.

These eyes ain't young anymore.

5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/mls...cte1441fa7m7qlt2x5k#eivv47cgx0e41jn2x1khnmwuw

Based on a recent poll/vote of MLS GMs, this is a fun article, including some interesting forward-looking takes. Lots of interesting lists with vote totals.

In a number of the lists, the person at the top is only a vote or two ahead of others below them.

But on a few lists, especially this one, there's a good sized gap between the winner and the also-rans.

From the article -

NFLPatriot repped this.
  6. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I see this was posted earlier today in Revs Roster 2018 thread.

7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This part stood out to me:
    Many of us have wished for the same type of partnership between the Revs and the Patriots.

Crooked repped this.
  9. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    ToMhIlL repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for nothing, but I always have cringed at the shameful, backwards-thinking past the Red Sox have had. Fortunately, they have done a lot in recent years to join the rest of the world, but you can't re-write history.

It is pathetic that they declined to sign Willie Mays and Jackie Robinson when they had the chance, and that the BRUINS had a black player about 3 years before the Red Sox did!

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I'm not doubting you Tom, this is fascinating. Do you remember where you read this?

12. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I am aware of the Sox history, I found this interesting as well so I did a little looking online.

Here is a link from Slate.com on Jackie Robinson and here is a link from espn.com on Willie Mays.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think that would've been interesting too, but people should stop citing Portland, that's an aberrant, special case. They have one pro sports team among the big 4 leagues and no major college programs.
    It's easy to blame Yawkey, but, having read some about their history through that era, I think the truth is a little more complicated than Yawkey was a racist. I believe that he was a pretty hands-off owner and so his management was mostly responsible for hiring decisions.

And, in the 1950's was Boston ready for a Jackie Robinson, who would've likely pushed a popular white player out of the lineup? The reaction likely would have been very ugly.

I think in the rush to place blame, with the benefit of hindsight, Yawkey may be getting a bad rap (but, I think the truth is pretty well blurred 60-something years later.

If people associate the Yawkey name with racism, fairly or unfairly, then go ahead and rename the street, but if they do, they should call it "Pumpsie Green Way".

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not to sidetrack into a discussion of old-time baseball from a long bygone era, but the Boston Braves had a black outfielder, Sam Jethroe, in 1950, 3 years after Jackie Robinson first started in Brooklyn. The Red Sox brought in Pumpsie Green in 1959. And things were ugly in that era, no matter what. The Dodgers traded Dixie Walker, a popular white Southerner who made it abundantly clear he wanted no part of playing with black players. The Phillies and Cardinals, in particular were brutal. So bad that one of my (black) friends father absolutely hated those teams and never forgave them, even though anyone involved then had long since moved on.

Whether Yawkey was a "racist," well, by today's criteria, most white people would be, even the most progressive minded at the time. But at the end of the day, whoever a hands-off owner puts in place to make decisions, ultimately the owner must be responsible for those choices. As Revs fans, we know this all too well!

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost wonder if this is actually too much?

Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The beatings will continue until morale improves! ;)

MM66 and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to hang my hat on that argument but we should look at our own Boston big 4 for evidence to the contrary. We have seen over and over, if you like the sport you, like the sport. In each Boston big 4 case success has been tied to the ownership's ambition (or lack thereof) that sets the tone for the rest of the organization on and off the field. When I was a kid in the 80s the pats were the laughingstock of the NFL with barely 10k going to games. Fenway was a creaking, old ballpark in dire need of updating. Sox tickets were easy to come by while the C's we're dominant and B's making Stanley Cup finals left and right. Then the 90s/2000s happened. The B's and C's took a dive while the Sox and pats rose. The one thing the rising teams had in common? New ownership/management (well, except Jacobs - call it pre and post 2006 Bruins).

I believe the same can happen with the revs. If they can get ambitious, passionate owners who hire an innovative thinking management team that "gets" our market, the team can potentially blossom here.

Jon Martin, BERich and pwykes repped this.
  18. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All that science about the importance of recovery is pure hogwash.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're going to be all but dead physically come September.

20. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's really shocking the Revs haven't followed the Big Four into 21st century management. For whatever reason, the Revs still operate like a pack of ex-jocks chomping stogies.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  21. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Or April, whichever comes first.

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I mean honestly. Small roster means they won't be able to rotate bodies. Throw in the young guys like Bye and Segbers who arent used to as long aaseason with the internationals like Somi and Zahibo hitting a wall come August will all the travel. By drilling everyone into the ground it's virtually guaranteed the revs will get leggy down the stretch, ruining any chance of a late playoff push. Then the season post mortem will be "maybe we should have treated this like a marathon not a sprint". Live and learn.

On the positive side, if Zahibo and Delamea keep getting reds their legs may last longer come the fall.

a517dogg repped this.
  23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please note that Brad brought in a top training coach with him from the EPL
    This new training schedule is not without its advocates
    Supposedly it builds greater endurance

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to pick nits, but the Pats never drew 10k for a game since their AFL days. Even in their worst stretch they were never that bad. Also in the late 80s, the Red Sox sold out as season tickets the entire stadium from section 10 to the second-last section next to the LF wall.

But your point remains, their management moved to the present, while the Revs are running things like a 1960s sports team