The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by msilverstein47, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    And then - The Peevish Petulant JK not addressing the issues, instead choosing the smear approach - questioning Alexander's (author's) "journalistic chops", here:
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/...opefully-mayor-walsh-is-more-receptive-to-it/

One of my all time favorites. No integrity, a pile-o-blameshift on full display, instead of leadership or accountability. Yeah, good times.

TOAzer repped this.
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The follow-up question should have been "OK, you disagree with the premise of the article. So among the main points he makes, what part of that would you say is not true?"

And then there is this. 4 years later, how many meetings have they had with the "new" mayor who is much more receptive to soccer than Mayor Menino was?

3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Let’s go Pats!!

rkupp repped this.
  4. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one might need its own thread.

Very interesting night for Jermaine Jones on Twitter and Instagram. JJ says that the blind draw was fixed.

960711595851628544 is not a valid tweet id

5. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Of course it was fixed. And the Revs deserve credit for insisting the league fix something for them for once.

6. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Because that was the only way they could get someone of his caliber to join the team.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if it was fixed, why is JJ going off about it now? Just odd.

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its obvious that we live in a day that most people would rather engage in and believe that something is rigged than to trust that those in authority that conduct a matter of business can and have acted responsibly. Sad:(

9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who's listened to JJ over the years realizes that he says what ever is expedient for him at any given time.

10. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to hear Richard Motzkin's perspective although I suspect he would hesitate to get involved any more than he is as he is an active agent working with MLS regularly.

I posted this because of its relation to the Revs, but in general, I find it interesting that JJ has offered a peak behind MLS's curtain. Is there anything here? Is this a complete fabrication? Who knows?

11. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    MLS has always worked on the fly to get certain players on certain teams. Look at the Galaxy for crying out loud. BTW, there's nothing irresponsible about it. It's just a league doing what's necessary to bring in quality players. We've always known the league rules were ad hoc.

The Revs wanted Jones and they got him. Good on the Revs for that. Jones is just confirming what everybody knew at the time it happened.

12. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noted friend of the Revs Ron Waxman weighed in on the rigged draw:

13. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that settles it. When Waxman is agreeing with the Revs, you know it's the truth.

It's obvious that JJ never wanted to be here. I'm so glad I don't own a Jones Rev jersey. I'm pretty sure we going to have another Jones on our hands once Lee gets out of town also. Revs need to start looking into PR firms stat!

NFLPatriot repped this.
  14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Create your team in the new-look MLS Fantasy for a chance at $2,000
    February 13, 2018, 12:00PM EST
    Andrew Winner

I've been playing MFLS or this since 2002, but I'm not really all that excited about this season. The unlimited transfers rule they added last year ruined that game for me, making it my least enjoyable season.

I'll probably still field a team this year (I DO like that they are finally planning to integrate it into the phone app this spring), but not sure how well I will keep up with it.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, a different sport, but since this is the appropriate thread ...

I played soccer/football/baseball in fantasy. I actually ran my own league for the NFL for 20+ years (I remember sitting down with the newspaper box-scores to do the points). As the years progressed, I'd gotten more and more sick of it. Especially with football, going to the games and having people cheer for the opponent scoring because "he's on my team." People at a football game spending more time actually checking the stats for other games on their phones than watching what's live in front of them. Just got sick of it and walked away 2 years ago. Now I don't play any, and can just enjoy myself again and not worry about fantasy.

RevsLiverpool, Crooked, SamSam and 3 others repped this.
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, I hate having split loyalties when watching a game (I also lose almost all interest when I don't have a rooting interest in either team, i.e., neutral games).

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care for fantasy sports for those same reasons. But I will still watch some neutral games because I might like certain teams more than others. Let me re-phrase that... I have a rooting interest because I hate some teams less than others

19. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could never "understand" fantasy leagues. When I was in college, friends of mine were in a baseball rotisserie league. We would go to an Angel game and I would hear, my pitcher is pitching tonight for (fill-in-the=blank) and I need a shutout. I would tell them that I was going to the game to see Reggie put one or two in the upper deck, screw your shutout!
    The Revs are a pathetic organization, poorly run and cheap. But, that is the team I root for. I don't want to see Villa get a hat trick against them because he is on my fantasy team; I want to see them win. Screw the other team!

RevsLiverpool, a517dogg and ToMhIlL repped this.
  20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Brad or Freidel = Brad Friedel
    Feldman = Brad Feldman

Can't even use BF - ;)

I used to just say Brad when I meant Feldman, not anymore.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Even if you could use BF, you couldn't - that was taken in this forum long ago.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will only be on Big Frank.

pwykes repped this.
  23. msilverstein47