The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread VI

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by huskydeac, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't exactly say they're "living it up"...

(oh someone had to say it)

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, when you have shrimp and hummus wraps to munch on while sitting comfortable with our chilled bottled water in our cup holders we are living our soccer lives with style and grace and for us thats living it up.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wot? No prawn sandwiches?

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping at some point one of the Revs does well at his. I think Alan Gordon had 7.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Lenhart is in the lead with 15, but he "tested positive for performance enhancing paper"

They give the list at the end, and the two Revs players are in last place.

patfan1 repped this.
  8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow this has to be Kraft's fault!

:D

BrianLBI repped this.
  9. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The man is having fun--love it.

11. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Totally offtopic, but once in a while I like to look up where some of the recent Revs international signings went after they left the team, so here's the update:

Milton Caraglio's big Serie A move didn't work out (only 5 appearances and 1 goal for relegated Pescara) so he's back in Argentina playing for their Arsenal (6 goals in 15 appearances).

Monsef Zerka is apparently ripping up the Singapore S-League (a ridiculous 20 goals in 35 appearances).

Rajko Lekic has dropped down to the Danish 2nd division, but is playing well there (9 goals in 19 appearances for Roskilde).

Cardenas and Lozano both went back to Colombia. Cardenas is still in their top division (Santa Fe), but not really playing at all. Lozano dropped down a level (Cucuta Deportivo) but is getting regular PT.

Jose Moreno has played a grand total of 8 games (2 league) for La Equidad in Colombia since leaving the Revs, and is presumably still a giant !@#$ing loser.

BrianLBI, a517dogg, SamSam and 6 others repped this.
  12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Gabriel Badilla is back at Saprissa, playing a decent number of games. Got one NT game in 2012.

13. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    from http://www.soccerbyives.net/

Bayern Munich to open office in New York

[​IMG]

Photo by Joe Toth/ISIphotos.com

By FRANCO PANIZO

"Bayern Munich are coming to the United States, and not just for this summer’s MLS All-Star Game.

Bayern announced on Tuesday that they will open their first overseas subsidiary, FC Bayern Muenchen LLC, on April 1 in New York. The German heavyweights will have a three-person staff in a Manhattan office, and they will be tasked with growing the club’s brand and establishing connections.

Rudolf Vidal, 42, has been appointed managing director of the new company. Vidal was born in Colorado, and was a goalkeeper in the Bayern youth section and reserve teams from 1982-1989 before becoming an attorney and working in sports and marketing.

“I’m delighted to be taking on this substantial and exciting assignment on behalf of FC Bayern,“ Vidal told the club’s site. “Together with my co-workers we will tackle the tasks assigned to us rapidly and with great determination. We want to help in consolidating and continuing to develop the club’s international reputation.“

Bayern Munich are set for a visit to the U.S. in late-July, early-August. They will wrap up their American trip with an appearance in the annual MLS All-Star Game on Aug. 6 in Portland, Ore."

I thought this was particularly interesting, and I wondered if we will see a trend toward European superclubs investing in US-based, permanent scouting operations. Given the difference in budgets between Bayern and MLS clubs, I could imagine Bayern having a number of strategic options in the US. Compare for example the 2013 budgets for player salaries: Bayern gave Guardiola 278 million € (380.86 million $), while (all) MLS teams had a salary cap of 19 x 2.95 = 56.05 million $. Now imagine Bayern building an academy on each coast. Imagine Bayern going to Papa Kraft, and buying him out, and then going to Joseph Curtatone and Deval Patrick, and saying will build mini-Allianz with no taxpayer money required.

Obviously, I'm not saying they will. But clearly, they (and others) are operating at a level way beyond what MLS is thinking about or can think about. If they felt it was strategically sound, they could make big things happen.

14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

Hmmm, there is a certain synergy between the Scary Teeth logo for Bayern and the Psychedelic Flag logo for the Revs. Colors, a certain crest-disdaining abstraction, maybe more.

15. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The end of the video he says the Salt n Peppa videos are coming back. How awesome would it be if him and Paolo made videos challenging the Pats, Celtics, etc?

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevsLiverpool and Crooked repped this.
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Heaps has a bad year ... we now know where his replacement will be! ;)

BrianLBI and NFLPatriot repped this.
  19. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    May be my favorite off season move.

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs: Using other teams' stars to sell our team since 1996....

a517dogg and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  21. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely my favorite move.
    I'd be more than Ok with this.

22. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see the game, but reading rkupp's post in the DDC game 3 thread he mentions that Bengston did not show anything different and that Imbongo continues to improve.

This made me wonder how much impact an assistant coach like Mariner would have on our forwards? Could he (or someone like him) help Jerry find a way to make a difference and find his place on the team? Could he help Imbongo develop even faster? What impact would he or such a coach have on the other young forwards? What kind of guidance are our young forwards getting from the coaching staff? Who on the staff is working with our younger offensive players?

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    This is a HUGE upgrade. Causey was totally cringeworthy and always sought to accomodate Feldman, rather than provide an independent opinion.

What Mariner says is always worth hearing - the only problem is that accent is sometimes tough to decipher. I loved hearing the video talks he used to do at the "Meet the Revs" events - always smart, interesting and insightful.

And, I think he should make Feldman better as he should be more deferential to a more distinguished partner and will need to raise his own game. I can't imagine him getting into these inane debates about a linesman's call or who fouled who, etc. with Mariner like he did with Causey.

Crooked repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It would be ideal if he could work as an adviser to Heaps, which shouldn't seem to be a problem, since the broadcasters have usually been team employees in recent years.

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's our "big splash" acquisition.