The "Thoughts That Don't Require Their Own Thread" Thread VI

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by huskydeac, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I thought this was funny.

TheLostUniversity and Jon Martin repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Habs/Bruins at Gillette?

I went to a hockey game at Fenway this year, and luckily had good seats, so the sight lines weren't bad. Not sure what this would be like at Gillette, but considering the two teams ... I don't think there's a chance I'd miss this.

4. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I might have a little interest :)

5. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    In light of the constant complaining re: the Revs' budget-constrained lack of action, I read this interesting article on the Patriots coming up short again:

Why Robert Kraft's Most Recent Comments Should Worry Patriots Fans

Also interesting to note is that the Patriots were $6 million under the NFL salary cap this season. A very strong indicator that "cheapness" is part of the overall KSG philosophy and not just at the expense of the Revs. The player personnel have only been paid top dollar in exceptional circumstances, and even Brady is below "market value." On the Revs' side, it's really only been Twellman and Joseph, relative to MLS' pay scale.

RevsLiverpool and a517dogg repped this.
  6. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYI they were $4M under their adjusted cap # in 2013. Which was done on purpose because of the cap restraints they are under for 2014. Going into 2014 season they only have 2.7M in cap space. So the NFL allows you to carry over remaining cap space from one year to the next. The Pats chose to carry over $4M+ to give them about $7M to start the 2014 league year.

patfan1 repped this.
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Saved me from typing it. :)

8. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Look" Whenever you hear that word, you know what's coming! :) It means they aren't a-changin' the master plan. I have come to understand that the Rev's are no different. Just smaller scale.

Anywho, consider this.... The Pats win games much more than they lose. They apparently value building depth using unsung talent and sometimes reclamation projects. But I do believe that that recipe for winning the majority of your regular games comes at a price. That price is that they won't spend on major talent enough to win the whole enchilada; talent to push it over the top. They seem to spend more for overall depth and consistency and then hope things go well enough in surviving the rigors of the season and maybe win the S.B. here and there. Obviously it's backfired lately.

So, ask yourself, would you rather win the S.B. and then maybe crash the next few years, or would you rather enjoy whole seasons, full of wins, only to fall a bit short each year? It's quite possibly a tradeoff.

Soccer Doc repped this.
  9. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the team, and those involved with the team finances would rather the perennially strong, no S.B. team over the up and down S.B. team.

For a fan, I think they take the success for granted, which for the Patriots has translated to softer secondary ticket sales, so if you ask a Pats fan they might say they want a S.B., but ask any other team in the league and they'll want what the Patriots have built. Just to put the dominance into perspective, since 2001:
    3 S.B. Wins
    2 S.B Losses
    2 Conference Game Losses
    2 Divisional Losses
    1 Wild Card Loss
    2 Winning Seasons Without Playoffs
    0 Losing Seasons

I'm sure if you did a percentile rank of NFL teams by their success this century, they would be in the 100th percentile

revsrock and patfan1 repped this.
  10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your entire analysis. When one looks at the Krafts way of spending money on their franchises Revs are not really treated any different proportionately than the Patriots. The Krafts have a style of building a solid team that is cost conscious and depends on great coaching and a roster with solid depth made up mostly from less than hugh profile players.

Minutemanii repped this.
  11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Now, losing a Superbowl, or falling a little short of one certainly is gutting; but only for a day or two. Sitting down with a beer every Sunday in the fall and expecting a win each time is a luxury that I think we take for granted. Imagine being a Browns or a Bills fan? Even Jets fans go into each week apprehensive about whether they'll get a win, no matter who their opponent is. But steering this back to the Revs.... I think we can go into lot's of games this year expecting to do well.

12. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually 3 Conference Losses.

But for anyone who was around and a fan in the early 90's. We would have laughed at anyone who said that in 2014 this would be what has happened.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ain't that the truth. Not quite what I could have even dreamed about when I got my tickets in '93.

14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early 90's LOL. I remember feeling the sting of this team being a laughing stock, that played in a toilet bowl, as far back as 1974.

15. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that is Kraft doing that. I think that is Belichick and style he believes he can coach any player up. Just go look at the stupid long term deals that Kraft signed between 97-99 and how bad the Pats salary cap was come 2000 when Belichick took over.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    KSG doesn't manage the salary cap - Bill Belichick does. If Bill wanted to bust the bank on a player, it would happen. But, that's not how he likes to operate - it's got nothing to do with Kraft.

When it comes to the Revs, I can certainly see them wanting to emulate a lot of things about the way Belichick runs the Pats (as should just about everyone in sports IMO). But, all the evidence points to the Krafts being hands-off, delegating ownership - with both teams.

I have never bought the theory that the Revs management isn't allowed to spend and I still don't. I do think if they want to offer a major DP contract, they'll have to justify the investment with a business plan, but they've long maintained that they have the authorityn to look for and negotiate with serious DP-level players and there's been plenty of evidence to support that.
    That's a false choice - it's possible to do both. The Patriots have and the Revs were nearly at that point, when a fluke, career-ending injury robbed them of their franchise player. I think both teams are designed to be perennial contenders and the Pats have been able to do that, while the Revs made too many mistakes, coupled with some bad breaks, to sustain it.

The fact that they are [finally!] doing an impressive job of rebuilding the team with a young and affordable core is a good sign that they may get back to that point again. Continuity has always been a critical component in MLS.

17. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Belichick and Cassiero control the cap. But remember NFL contracts are really based on signing bonuses and cash upfront. So yes Kraft does have a major say in cash upfront.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he is very much involved in larger contracts for the bigger players (see the convo about Wilfork in A Football Life.)

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it's possible, because it's happened - three times. It's just less likely.

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, a team that is in the playoffs every year for 10 years straight, sometimes going deep into the playoffs, is far more likely to come away with a couple of titles out of all that than a team that's great for one or two years.

21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, ya got a good pernt there, Edith.

22. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just thinking, since 2001, how would the Revs rank in terms of their MLS success?
    4 Cup Losses
    2 Conference Final Losses
    3 Conference Semi Losses
    4 Losing Seasons Without Playoffs

I'm just gonna throw a number out there, 50th percentile?

23. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Except the Pats are "in the 100th percentile" of success in their league. Another team that Kraft owns is not.

Kraft has presided over both the 100th percentile team and the other team that falls a little shy of the 100th percentile, over the same timeframe that SamSam outlined.

If he's really treating both the same way.....then something isn't quite right.

.......so, what gives...?

Inquiring minds want to know.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome story, thanks for finding and sharing it.