THE THIRD DP.....

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metz, Jul 26, 2014.

1. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    #1 metz, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=37761

It is true that wait for something for several years is annoying, very annoying.... But like we wait for the Stadium that every body can say It was worth it, the same we can say about the third DP, firstly like Houllier say, have to be sure that:

1.- Henry is gone to bring some body else to replace him as a the flag of the team.

2.- I really hope that they don't bring some body yes because is famous player and come with idea to be famous with us too, NO houndred of time NO, bring some body that play very good soccer and make the rest of the team play well too, only like that, mobilizing all our players is how the team will start winning trophies, because no matter how good a player is, he will not make a 40/45 goals by season by him self that is what the team will need to win a trophy.

3.- I hope they do good in all of this to not fall into the ridiculous again....

2. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah, like somebody who can average ten assists per season while still chipping in about twelve goals himself. Somebody who can play alongside strikers who struggled at their last clubs and turn them into goal scoring machines. Somebody who takes a special interest in the club's young players and stays late in training to help them out.

If only we had a player like that...

charlie15 and theENFORCER repped this.
  3. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Cooper did it and as a bonus and keep Henry happy because every body was talking Cooper and not Henry they ship him out.....

4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Cooper scored 8 goals at Portland the year before he joined us. Henry assisted 40% of Cooper's goals as he scored 18 for us (and only provided 3 assists). Cooper scored 6 goals at FC Dallas the year after he left us.

Thierry Henry makes the players around him better. Kenny Cooper does not. As much as I respect him as a person and a player, there's a reason that Cooper has changed clubs every year since 2011 and took a pay cut to join Seattle this year.

kokoplus10 and Woodrow repped this.
  5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIS.

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Red Bull wants to mainatain some semblanc eof market in our area they need a third DP and also 3 going forward to counteract NYFC that will go all out in an effort to tkae over this area as we are seeing right now withtheir early moves. Manchester and NY Yankees will go all out as usual to make us be ther subserviant Mets!

7. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I saw an article whose author felt ronaldinho would be a goodo replacement fr henry. That would be the wrong direction, IMHO.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  8. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ronaldinho's a tough one, he was completely mentally checked out his last few years in Europe and packed on the pounds, but snapped back into it when he returned to Brazil. If he could avoid the NYC night life and actually focus on playing then he would be an enormous player for us, that elusive #10 that fans have been crying for. He'd put some butts in the seats for sure too.

Personally, I'd sign him in a heart beat even knowing the risks.

9. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Samuel e'to free agent. Cheap. Money left to get more?

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'd love to have him here, only problem is that it looks like he's asking for somewhere in the ball park of $8-9M per year, and there's just no way that Red Bull is willing to pay that much right now. Houllier even said last week that our next DP wouldn't cost as much as the last few, and they've been in the $3-4M range.

11. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  12. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    I wouldn't break up BWP-Henry duo right now

13. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Ronaldiho as a player is done.... For what you will bring him over.....

14. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That's the 2013 South American Player of the Year you're talking about.

15. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think Ronaldinho can play but I'm not sure how he'll fit in the team and especially under Petke's bland style of play. I guess the best spot would be placing him as a left winger but that's usually the area Henry roams in, put him in an attacking midfield role and one of Cahill or Dax might be out of the lineup altering the balance.

I don't think it's a smart DP unless it's a short deal. He's going to be missing more games than playing in them as well.

16. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    -----------BWP-----------
    Henry---------------Sam
    ---------Ronaldinho-----
    -------Dax----Cahill-----
    Miller-Sek-Olave-Duvall

Its a risky lineup, that's for sure. Neither Henry or Ronaldinho are going to defend, so you're basically asking Cahill to be a second holding midfielder which means he'd only get into the box on set pieces. That's just the only way I can see us getting all big name players on the field.

17. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  18. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move imo. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If we sign him we'd be arguing that they are going after over the hill names that don't contribute and if we don't we'd be complaining they aren't spending the $$. I just don't think he fits imo.

19. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Agreed. There's got to be a better choice. Whenever I hear about ______ (fill in the blank 30-something aging star) being suggested for the Red Bulls, it just sounds to me like the club is being force fed. They are always expensive, with an injury history and, with all the mileage, with an indeterminate shelf life. And it isn't like a Thierry Henry can't still play, but I just think the club should have its sights set on a different sort of player, especially now. Ronaldinho is player who, if acquired, it would be hoped that he can give another 6-18 months of service. That just doesn't seem like the player who will provide the continuity this club needs. If he were the last piece in a championship puzzle, it would be a different story. As it stands this club needs to take a longer view simply because they are going to have some significant turnover at the top in the next year or two, anyway, and because a championship is highly unlikely this year. They need players who can form the core of the team going forward. The Yanks (Robles, McCarty and Alexander) are one part. Sam and BWP go in another basket. But there is still a need for high end talent of the kind who can serve 3-4 years and keep the upward trend going.

theENFORCER repped this.
  20. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ronaldinho would only take up one spot, roster continuity involves all 30 players. If we want to use one DP spot on an impact star that may only stick around 2-3 instead of 4-5, I have no problem with that so long as the club is still focused on keeping guys like you mentioned around for the long haul.

21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The problem is that he won't stick around that long. I predict he will be much closer to Juninho in that regard. A flash in the pan may help attendance this year, but it won't do anything for continuity. And with Henry on his way out, I don't even think the potential chemistry will be of much importance. This deal in particular is high cost with very little return.

22. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Juninho was 38 and clearly in his last year as a professional, Ronaldinho would assumedly want to play for a few more years so I'd hope he wouldn't just throw in the towel if things weren't going 100% how he wanted. If he comes this summer, spends the usual six months adjusting to the league, then plays two full seasons (which I think is reasonable) at the level he's capable of, it would absolutely be worth using just one of our DP spots on him imo. Remember, its just one DP spot, there's two other DP spots and 27 other roster spots to focus on limiting turnover. And if you're going to splash for an impact player, you can't do much better than Ronaldinho.

23. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed 100%. It's one thing if Ronaldhino doesn't have injury problems and history of being a team first player but that's the opposite of the case. I think we can all assume he'd miss more games due to injury than being actually fit and that's a big no no.

It's one think if it's a half year rental to the end of this MLS season but that's very unlikely.. I think the FO is going to wait until the offseason where there's a possibility of a decent chunk of the roster leaving like you mentioned. Henry possibly retiring, maybe Cahil leaving(probably not) and a few players leaving; we can assume Peggy, Kimura, Convey, Eckeserly, and possibly Sekayga and Olave leaving.. We are going to be retooling this offseason and it's going to be interesting the new DP's that will be brought in. Might be the best thing for the organization as well.

Woodrow repped this.
  24. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And what exactly is he "capable of?" This is a big part of the problem. People are conflating there estimation of his current abilities with the player he used to be. Folks should be very, very careful when judging a player who already had beaten his retreat back home from Europe four years ago. He won Copa Libertadores and South American Player of the Year with Atletico Mineiro in 2013, but that was a full year ago and despite signing a new contract in January 2014, he's on his way out. Club's don't usually terminate the contract of a player with much market value. I find it very hard to believe that he's going to be anything more than a burnout looking for one last easy payday.

25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I just want to add one thing about Cahill. There's a clear progression with him that means we're still a little ways up the food chain. It has been rumored that Cahill will end up playing back in Australia for a few years. If he does leave next year, given the circumstances, it is possible the Red Bulls will be able to extract a transfer fee for letting him go.