The things we hear returns - 2019, 20 and beyond edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by djmtxref, Jan 12, 2019.

1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    For me it was just the opposite with no hint of a compliment! :mad:

2. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I’ve nevet gotten dinged for it, I watched myself on video and my backpedal needed a LOT of work. Thank god I saw it over the winter though, so I had time to work on my form. I also changed up the way I pump my arms to look better.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Interesting. How does one improve backpedal form (other than trying hard not to fall down, which I've always considered to be greatest flaw in my own backpedal)?

MrPerfectNot, roby, IASocFan and 2 others repped this.
  4. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly standing more straight up (rather than leaning back a lot) and how I was moving my arms. I now keep them more stationary and down at my sides, but still move them slightly.

5. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I apparently need a rearview mirror when I backpedal. Last Saturday on a goal kick, I'm backpedaling. When the ball is kicked a U12 player ran forward and didn't see my 6'0 350 body. He ran eye first into my elbow. Gave him a shiner but he returned to play the second half. The coach blamed me for "injuring" his player!

dadman repped this.
  6. Rocinante

Rocinante Member

Oct 9, 2018
    One thing that changed my life was when another referee recommended that I side step more instead of backpedaling (where appropriate). It gives you a better view of the field and helps you not run over players. Granted, it sounds like your player ran into you more than the other way around!

IASocFan and seattlebeach repped this.
  7. SparkeyG

SparkeyG Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Mokena, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to keep this mind, a few years ago I was doing a U9g match where i backpedaled over a girl that had bent over to tie her shoe. I went head over tail and ended up banging my head on the hard ground, earning a concussion for my troubles.

8. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Turn 180 degrees then run. :)

I try not to backpedal, at least quickly. It's too hazardous from whoever may be behind me.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I did achieve something of a breakthrough in my backpedal technique when I quit trying to outrun the oncoming 17-year-old attacker and learned to make a quick decision whether to break right or left and get the heck out of the way ... :barefoot:

Rocinante and MJ91 repped this.
  10. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I actually got that advice from a national candidate. Don't back away from someone dribbling toward you, read them and pivot out of the way.

GearRef repped this.
  11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of my short HS football umpire career. Standing just behind the linebackers, the 150 pound quarterback found an opening. I stood flatfooted and got my 200+ pound body run over. My wife told me we made the evening news. I did the same team a year or two later and we recognized each other and agreed on no repeat performance.

dadman repped this.
  12. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I'm so slow that I backpedal just as fast as I run forward.

dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  13. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have, but it was a log time ago prior to my referee career.

14. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Nearly literally every match... especially futsal.

dadman repped this.
  15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Ah, that might explain it. I've never even seen a futsal match .

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    "You need to sweep off all that shoe stuff." What? Oh ...

Wife after walking in off the back porch, having noticed all the little black turf pellets where I take my shoes off. Hey at least I learned not to take them off in the house ... :barefoot:

MJ91, dadman, YoungRef87 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    My wife calls those pellets "turf turds".

18. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    After doing a match in Brattleboro Vt on a newly lined cow pasture my wife made me remove my shoes at the end of the driveway. :whistling:

MJ91, YoungRef87, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Ugh, yeah, we used to have a field that for some reason really attracted the geese. Sometimes it was practically carpeted. Fortunately they turfed it and the geese lost interest.

voiceoflg, YoungRef87, roby and 2 others repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  21. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    The local high school leaves the turf field unlocked so people can walk/run on the track. Pets are prohibited, but one guy used to take his small dog there and let it run around on the field. Every $&@! game one season we had to police the field and scrape up one or more piles of dog feces. Probably a good thing I never met him in person...

dadman repped this.
  22. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    9v9 rec, mixed bag of skills, first day of season. red team no subs, green has one, so we did take mid-half water break.

Clearance up field, player bends arm and raises it in the air knocking ball down to teammate. "[tweet] handling, Red kick".
    "But, I used my ELBOW !!!"

Same game, in late 2nd awaiting two "equipment corrections" prior to throw-in. Girl watching her opponent, turns to me...
    "Sir, is tying shoes considered timewasting?"
    "Not so much when they're losing by 4 and she does it quickly... Timewasting, huh? Any chance you're studying to be a referee?"
    "Ewe, no! I'm 11!"

dadman repped this.
  23. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    dadman, YoungRef87, MrPerfectNot and 2 others repped this.
  24. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    So I am doing a u11g season opening in a premier league. Had a situation where I had to call a drop ball. I'm holding the ball at waist height and announcing drop ball. Both girls are looking at me like, huh? Finally one of them says, "so exactly how does this work?"

But even better, today I am doing my 3rd boys LACROSSE game ever. Before the game, my 71 yr old partner turns to me and says "I forgot my hearing aids, so listen carefully to whatever the coaches say" !!!!!

uh....defref here too.............(not that I care what coaches say, but I really am clueless out there). But hey, $63 for a 48 minute running time jv game on Thursday afternoon.

dadman, voiceoflg, roby and 1 other person repped this.
  25. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It couldn't have been me although I did a few of those in Ct. many moons ago. :oops:

dadman repped this.