The things we hear is back - 2021,22 and more edition

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RefIADad, Jan 17, 2021.

1. FlaGrandpaRef

FlaGrandpaRef Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2020
    To be clear I blew the whistle to stop the play before they actually threw the ball. They still threw it and the coach claimed that I was preventing his team the advantage of taking a quick throw. I agreed that I was preventing them the advantage but the advantage was that since they were throwing from the wrong place they were getting behind defenders that should have a chance to prevent his team from moving up the field.

dadman, Kit, Pittsburgh Ref and 2 others repped this.
  2. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Yes! Advantage should not be adventitious

swoot repped this.
  3. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Getting throw-ins from the proper spot is a hot button with me. Not so much because it changes the game materially, but because I view it as an attempt to take an advantage, or even cheat. When I view it is being done deliberately, I shut it down. I try to make it easy for all of us by pointing to the spot of the throws early in the game when we have a situation where the ball has traveled a long way and has to be brought back to proper spot. This lets the players know I am paying attention and hopefully they learn not to push it. And there is often that uber thrower who wants to take a long run and launch it. I make sure he/she knows that if they plan to run, they better back up first. Its just like making that call early in the game - set the tone, early and hopefully things will proceed more smoothly.

On the illegal throws by the younger players, yes, they will give up the ball quickly most of the time. But, the reason they are doing an illegal throw is they were not taught how to do it. I advise my refs (I don't do these game much anymore) to call it and give the re-do (once) and coach the players on proper technique. Someone has to, and they gotta learn sometime.

dadman repped this.
  4. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Heard this in a U14 boys lacrosse game today (different sport, but same concept). Kid is running with the ball towards the end line behind the goal and whips the ball in a pass attempt over everyone's head and out of bounds for a turnover. He is about 20 feet away from me. He says (not yells, but loud enough that I heard it clearly) "why isn't anyone F--ing running".

Whistle was already blown for OOB, and I call him over "#23.........#23........#23eeee" (do kids even know their own numbers). Finally he looks at me and I wave him over. I say, "I'm half deaf and I heard that loud and clear. What do you think the moms and grandmas over there would think if they heard it." He mumbles something about they would not like it and I tell him to find some different words and let him keep playing.

I know that I was able to give him an ejection, or (wish soccer had this) a 1, 2 or 3 minute penalty for unsporting behavior. I choose to catch and release and hope he listens.

Whether we agree or not, it seems to me that the F bomb is becoming more and more common usage. For younger and younger kids. No one noticed, or at least no one reacted. Pretty sure none of the players cared one way or the other.

BTW, this 48 minute running time U14 game pays $70 (less 6% assignor fee) to each ref in dual system. Which is why I am out there, getting paid more to exercise less (shorter games). And after 2 seasons and about 55 games, I almost know the rules......

5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Don't forget your tape measure! :rolleyes:

6. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Heard this from a parent after a game at the tournament this past weekend...

"Man we are so glad we had you. During our first game the AR was behind the parents!"

I ask, very puzzled, "Behind the parents? Like during the game?"

"yeah! He was behind the parents, standing next to me! Petting my dog! I said to the guy 'uhm, shouldn't you be there working? The referee is looking for your help, right at this very moment!' and he said 'Yeah, I guess so' and he went back"

:eek:

MJ91, refinDC, rh89 and 3 others repped this.
  7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several years ago, my son was playing in an out of town tournament in Iowa. I don't know the whole story and probably never will, but the assignor and the tournament admin had a major falling out right before the tournament. Many games, including this particular game, were not staffed with certified officials.

In his last game, two college-aged people were "officiating". They had no uniforms. I don't think they even had whistles for the first 15 minutes of the game, as I saw someone in a golf cart hand one of them a whistle in the middle of the game. One sat down on the bleachers during the run of play. I was injured and at the game in jeans and running shoes, and I was still THIS CLOSE to just asking these two if they'd like me to take over. I would have been better limping around the center circle.

When the referee sat down on the bleachers, I finally had enough. I walked over to the individual and asked point blank, "Excuse me - aren't you one of the referees for this game?

"Referee": "Yes" (With a look that indicated a strong preference to be anywhere else in the world at that moment in time.)

Me: "Then shouldn't you be on the field keeping up with the game and putting an effort in?"

"Referee": Gives me a dirty look and walks back to the field.

Following the game, I wrote our state referee committee and the tournament administration and expressed how disappointed and embarrassed I was as a fellow official to see this.

IASocFan, rh89, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    As a coach, our team was in a youth tournament, sanctioned by USYSA's state association. The tournament used college players as referees, uncertified referees. It was bad. Not only did they have only a sketchy knowledge of the Laws of the Game, they were also allowing college men's level of physical contact in a U-12 boys game. About the middle of the second half, it was at the point where I pulled the team off the field. The opposing coach was nodding his agreement. I sent a letter to the state youth association reporting that this affiliated tournament was using uncertified officials, in violation of USSF rules. I'd like to think that this got the state to tighten up a bit on the use of uncertified officials.

Years later, when I was a tournament director myself, I discovered that the USYSA sanctioning application requires that the tournament report the name of the USSF certified assignor that the tournament will use. And it is a violation of the USSF code of ethics for assignors to use uncertified officials "except in an emergency." At least in my opinion, not having "enough" referees is not an emergency. An emergency would, IMHO, be an assigned referee who doesn't show up and there is no one else available, or something similar. (and I was for some years the chair of the professionalism committee, that policed referee, assessor, assignor, instructor behavior.)

dadman repped this.
  9. Mi3ke

Mi3ke Member

Oct 18, 2011
    New Mexico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't have a problem with this. :)

Cheers, Mi3ke

10. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had an assignor who said at the state's AGM one of the committee members brought an application to him, "Did you see how many teams the [club] wants at their tournament (that the assignor covers) this year?" "No." It was an absurd number, 25% bigger than the previous year and the tournament was already the largest in the state. The club had him sign the paperwork, which is a commitment from him to cover the games with referees, then filled in the number of teams. The assignor went and found the club right then to get that number changed because there was no way he could cover those games. He already was pulling refs from at least 4 states.

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  12. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Tournament game in miserable Memorial Day weather.

U-10 girls player, muttering too low for the sideline to hear it but still dripping with disdain: "I'm playing *center mid*, Dad."

The other fun thing today -- on one of my more acrobatic dodges of a ball zipping my way, I stumbled and hit the turf. Spectators were sincerely relieved that I made it through the game without injuring myself.

The good part about dreary weather is that I think parents and coaches are more appreciative that a ref is there, especially given the shortages.

dadman repped this.
  13. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    or the parents stay in the car so we don’t have to hear their riff raff

IASocFan, voiceoflg, Law5 and 3 others repped this.
  14. ilyazhito

ilyazhito Member

Manchester United
    Spain
    Feb 9, 2021
    The Laws explicitly allow players that have impairments preventing them from using two hands on a throw-in to take them one-handed.

15. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    I don't think that's correct. NFHS allows it, I think NCAA does as well (I don't ref college), but IFAB has nothing specifically about that.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish them good luck, but it is getting worse each year:

[​IMG]

dadman, MJ91 and LampLighter repped this.
  17. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    That's just disheartening, why continue to ref games when that stuff happens? I'd be walking off the field.

18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the world of refereeing and parenting collide . . .

My son's U13B President's Cup semifinal. Very good game overall - his team lost 2-1 on a well-played stoppage time goal. Referee crew did a very good job. Obviously a couple of plays (both ways) that I might have called differently had I been in the middle, but I'm sure a referee watching a game I work would say the same thing.

Big call midway through the second half. Off of an offensive corner kick, the ball comes back across the area. Opponent's defender has the ball carom off of his upper chest near the shoulder. Absolutely not handling in any way, shape, or form. But our parents start the obligatory "Handball! PK! Come on!". I'm standing stone silent.

Finally, one parent asks me what I thought.

"Sorry, that's never handling. The crew got that 100% right."

In stoppage time after the goal to make it 2-1, my son's teammate takes an off-balance shot. Opponent's defender makes a fair shoulder to shoulder challenge as he lets the shot go and the attacker goes down. A couple of parents start calling for a penalty again, but then they see I'm standing there nodding. One of them asks what I would have called.

"The exact same no call. It's a fair challenge. Even so, it has to be a LOT more blatant than that for me to think of calling a penalty to potentially tie the game in 2nd half stoppage time."

Parent: "You're right. I think I let my heart get in the way." Me: "My heart wanted that called, too. But that's never going to be a penalty."

dadman, voiceoflg, Bubba Atlanta and 6 others repped this.
  19. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I've been to a few of my kid's matches. :(

dadman and Beau Dure repped this.
  20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    My first year reffing overlapped with my kid's last year playing, and we were back in rec league where I knew all the refs.

dadman repped this.
  21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given I work a lot of upper-level games in Iowa, I know nearly all of the officials working State/President’s Cup. Today, I was a parent after working yesterday. I stopped by the ref tent when we got there to say hi and see how other games went yesterday, then I went to the field. Iowa always has ref coaches watching games, which is a good thing. I had some good feedback from the coach watching my game on Saturday. I caught up with one of the coaches really early in the game, then went back to standing with the parents.

In Iowa, those of us who do a lot of upper-level games know each other. Many of us live in the same metro area, so we see each other all the time at meetings. I have to tell myself that when I'm a parent, I need to stay the heck out of the way.

Beau Dure and dadman repped this.
  22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    U-11 girls tournament final. 0-0 at halftime. Quiet game, especially compared to the higher-bracket final that preceded it, which featured an unusual amount of cynicism for U-11 girls.

Coach comes up: "Hey guys, a quick question?"

Center: "Sure."

Coach: "So when we play the ball forward, than can we go ahead?"

(pause)

Center: "Say again?"

Coach: "I mean, like, when we're at the 50 and play the ball forward, is it OK to go after it then?"

Center: "Um ... yes."

Coach: "OK, thanks. Some people don't play like that, so I wasn't sure."

They won, of course. The "yell at the big girl until she scores" strategy proved effective.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  23. robssecondjob

robssecondjob Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    AR2 in a U23 match in 90+ degree heat. Hottest day of the year. Absolute track meet of match.

Second half there is a quick turnover and change of direction in front of me and as I swivel around the ball does a quick out and in that I missed. Two seconds later the ball hammered into the stands. Spectators start screaming about the missed call. Striker for the team the call went against turned to the fans as told them to relax. "Refs don't get subs during a game, I don't think any of you would be still standing this late in a game".

gaolin, soxfaninny, RefIADad and 20 others repped this.
  24. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I guess I am responsible for this, but last game of the year, U13 boys, final water break of the final match of the Spring. Very laid back match, not physical at all.

I looked at my ARs and said "Have I blown the whistle for a foul yet?" They said no. Two touches after the restart I blew for a penalty.

My AR after the match: "That was inevitable as soon as you said it."

MJ91, dadman, roby and 5 others repped this.
  25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd buy him a Gatorade or a beer (if of age) after the match for sure!

I'm running AR1 in a U13 semifinal at an out of town tournament. Red team is good, but their coaches are your typical "professional" coaches. Whining about everything as the center (a state tournament high school referee) is crushing the game. I know Blue's coach really well from my previous town. Red's coaches are griping about us restarting after a sub as their players are still (barely) on the field and walking off the field. They are wasting time quite a bit to the point where the center added quite a bit of time (despite it being against tournament rules) each half. They try to gripe to the center, then they try to gripe at me. From 50 yards down the touchline, I just put a hand up and say, "No, Coach."

Blue's coach comes up behind me and says, "I hate it when coaches have their self-worth tied up in a kids' game."

Quiet nod from me. That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

swoot, Law5, jdmahoney and 4 others repped this.