The Team. The Time. The 2006 New York Mets.

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by otterulz, Apr 3, 2006.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, so it's kind of a corny slogan for the new season, but whatever.

Anyway, we start off the season with a nice win. Glavine pitched well and out-dueled Livan. Xavier had a great game, and Wright hit a solo shot. The crowd was getting down on Beltran all game, which I think is a load of horse shit. A lot of Met fans need to grow up. Some even booed Delgado. Hell, all the cheers for Heilman quickly turned to some jeers as well after he gave up that run. I'm surprised they didn't boo Wagner for giving up a friggin hit. I know we have a lot riding on this season, but damn, a lot of Met fans need to shut the ******** up. These are our boys. Support them no matter what. Even if your name was Braden Looper.

Weather was damp, but I think last year was colder. Of course I didn't show up till the 4th inning because of traffic. This was my 7th year in a row going to the home opener. I've been to plenty of the Subway Series games, I've been to playoff games, and I've been to the World Series. Not once did I have to sit in traffic like I did today. I don't know what it was, but son of a bitch, it sucked.

Also, I was listening to Mike and the Mad Dog after the game. All I can say is that these guys are total jackasses. They started off by ripping the SNY coverage. I don't know if it was warranted or not, but if what they said was true, I'll agree with them. But then they started going off on how Wagner uses Enter Sandman as his entrance music, and that there's only one person who should be allowed to use it here in New York. Apparently "everyone" knows that that's Mo's song, and the Mets staff and management should've stepped in and said something to Wagner. I don't know who these pompous asses think they are, but my god. The fact that they'd rip on him for using the same song as another guy? Please. Mike and the Mad Dog can go eat my asshole out. Especially Mike Francesa. Piece of shit.

Ok. End of rant. Uhh.....let's go Mets.

2. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    nice post glad you made it even though it was in the 4th. From here in CT we made it into the parking lot and all around 12ish. So we had some time at least before the first pitch, but still the traffic was horrible. You summed it up all the way pretty much, all I can add was I was very impressed with Nady. A.Hernandez looks good out in the field, even though needs help at the plate, he and Reyes look like it will be fun. Had great seats behind home plate in the loge, the atmosphere was great, weather was lousy. Mike & the Mad Dog complete idiots as usual, lots of SNY coverage all over the stadium. I got interviewed after the game because they spotted by Brian Bannister shirt. another opening day in the books, were finaly undereway. Cant wait to see Bannister tomorrow, not sure if I should get Field Boxes or just get into the stadium and move down because Im thinking with the weather it wont be too packed.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you move down into the Field? I know they're pretty strict on that, and make you show your ticket every time you step out. That being said, I've heard tons of stories on how people give the guy a $10 or something to let them in. Whether it works or not, I don't know.

It'll be interesting to see Bannister tomorrow. It's one thing to pitch well in Spring Training, but in the regular season, in front of large crowds? We'll see. I'm sure it'll take a few starts to get his feet wet though, so whatever happens in between, I hope the fans start to turn on him early.

Weather looks like it's gonna be shit, but in the morning. Forecast calls for some sprinkles in the evening, but I'm sure it's nothing that'll cancel the game. I remember going to Opening Day 2001, and I wore a t-shirt and a jersey. Hell, I even got a tan from my sunglasses. Whatever happened to that?

4. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    look for the Welcome to Shea Banner for Bannister tonight, thats me

5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oi. Tough loss. So many things went right, yet so many things quickly went wrong. Brian Bannister made his first Major League start and showed why he cracked the rotation. He had some good stuff, and got out of jams when he was in them. He had a no-no for a bit before a double broke it up. He then allowed a Nick Johnson 3-run shot to make it 4-3. The Mets offense was going too, with Nady hitting a solo shot to go 5-5. Delgado hit a monster homer with Beltran on. Anderson Hernandez made a sensational diving catch to take a double away from someone, and to help Heilman out. Things were looking good and Enter Sandman came on. However, Wagner didn't shut the door on the Nats as he allowed a solo shot to Zimmerman to tie it up. In came Jorge Julio to pitch the top of the tenth, and the Nats broke it wide open. The Mets would muster up a run, but it wasn't nearly enough.

Bannister was robbed of his first major league win and will have to wait another day. The Mets had plenty of runners in scoring position to break it wide open, but couldn't get it done. The most troubling sign was Wagner not being able to close the door. He didn't have his control or his velocity. He kept throwing fastballs to Zimmerman, and he eventually got one that was without a doubt, a goner. I know it's early and we're only in the second game of the season, but I hope this won't be a trend that we've become all too familiar with. Jorge Julio also showed why he was a worthless pick up. He had his velocity, throwing mostly in the low to mid 90's, but his control wasn't there at all. I surely hope that he gets things worked out, or we're in for another long season with the bullpen.

Mets wrap things up with the Nats tomorrow night. Unfortunately for them, the Rangers play the Isles at the same time, so I'll be flipping around, but mostly paying attention to my boys kicking some Fish Stick ass. It'll be interesting though with Pedro's first start of the season.

6. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'll be 3 for 3 tonight, at the game again and hopefully Pedro can deal with the weather at shea tonight. Well Jorge Julio theres not much to say about him, as expected he sucks and blew it. He just cant cut it, I dont care how much people rant and rave how hard he throws, this guy can not cut it in the big leagues. Either he needs more tuning in AAA or even AA, but he in no way is going to help the mets reach the playoffs this season.

Anyways, Im glad I got to see Ryan Zimmerman, this kid is realy something special. He can play defense, hit well, and seems to be realy aware of whats going on at all times. The Expos realy have something in him, if only they had some pitching.

7. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    He's got several years of ML experience. Tuning isn't the issue. He sucks. Plain and Simple.

8. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Got back from the game a little while ago. I swear I almost punched every Beltran hater I saw. I'd do a match report, but I'm guessing you all saw it and I'm late already as it is.

161-1!

9. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Saw it. And glad that Beltran turned the jeers into cheers. People need to give the guy a break. I wanted to punch some asshole on Opening Day because he wouldn't shut the hell up everytime Beltran came up to the plate.

Pedro wasn't sharp, but luckily neither were Washington's pitchers. The offensive outburst was nice to watch; and my god is David Wright a stud. If he doesn't become a future hall of famer, then something went terribly wrong with this guy. Oh, and I can see myself cursing out Anderson Hernandez in big spots when he comes to bat. Terrible flashes of Ordonez come rushing back.

10. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    maybe the crowd is too hyper critical.
    doesnt take much for the boo's to rain down.
    Even guys like looper and matsui might have been more effective with a less harsh crowd on their backs.

11. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Matsui was never that good to begin with, and Looper should've never been used as a Closer, he wouldve made a decent set up man. Instead he went to closer, and gave up 22 9th inning runs, IIRC.

When I got back in last night I saw that Beltran was reluctant to take the curtain call, and Franco had to convince him. Our fans kind of suck.

We got the Fish tonight. Trax is going up against Vargas, 710 start out at Shea. Why do Trax's starts seem like they go on for 8 hours?

12. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    so, the design for the new stadium look awesome

13. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I bet they were a bag of nerves every time they stepped out at Shea.
    sure they werent great players ,but with the crowd on their back they are never gonna perform in a sport like baseball .

14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Franco played a huge part in last night's game, or so it seemed, even though he never picked up a bat. He seemed to keep Guillen cool at first base after he got plunked be Pedro the second time. Gary Cohen was saying how respected you must be to be an opposing player to go up to a guy and talk to him. No one on the Nats seemed to mind that Franco was there talking to him either. Then you saw him getting on Beltran to take the curtain call which was huge. I don't know if Beltran was staying in there because it was an FU to the fans, or because he was trying to show humility by not going out for hitting a homerun. I'm going with the latter. I hope to god anyway.

As for the booing, I don't know if it hurt Matsui's and Looper's performances, but it sure as hell didn't help. Maybe some players say that they use that as motivation to up their game, but c'mon, I'm sure it doesn't feel good when you try your hardest yet get booed anyway. Plus I think Looper's situation is a little bit different as a pitcher. We're behind him all the way until that final strike. There's no way we're booing him when the count is 0-2 or 3-2. The boos don't come until he fails, which was often. Not that I'm condoning it, but I think it's different whereas Matsui's name comes up and he gets booed relentlessly.

And the new stadium? Looks awesome. That is going to be one classy looking ballpark. I'm glad they made revisions to the original plan they unveiled a few years ago, and for the one they proposed during the Olympic bid. Wide concourses and seems like great views of the field from anywhere. I know some people hate the 10,000 less seats, but at least the crowd will look bigger on Tuesday games in April when hardly anyone comes out. It also seems like they have no plans on having the apple come out of the top hat anywhere in the field. I don't know whether or not that kills the intimacy and charm of a retro ballpark, but I like that thing. It used to excite me as a kid. Anyway, hope they have some plans for parking during contruction, because I can only imagine what Opening Day 2007-2008 is gonne be like with the fewer parking spots.

15. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mets fried the Fish last night at Shea, 9-3. Jose Reyes went 3-5 and had a homer. He's been hitting well to start the season. Beltran also had a hit, hopefully showing signs that he's coming around. The hitting is carrying this team right now. Trachsel also pitched brilliantly, only allowing a Mike Jacobs homer, one of three hits, over 6 innings. Of course Jorge Julio ruined it by allowing 2 runs. The guy sucks.

It's still early though, and the Mets haven't actually faced quality pitching. Today should be interesting though as Glavine goes against Dontrelle. Willis has an outstanding record against the Mets in his career, going 8-1. We'll see what the offense can do against him. Still, we're getting an early idea of what this lineup can do, and it's doing what everyone pretty much expected.

16. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    before I get into the marlins game, back to the Pedro game. I had never actualy been at a game with a bench clearing incident and its pretty intense, the guys rush out of the bullpens like its a bar fight, it is quite interesting. But in the Pedro game I noticed a real aggressiveness with this team, they are very poised and seem focused. This first week its clear they want to go out and get the job done, scoring early so far in the first inning of each game. Had seats on the 3rd baseline so Soriano heard it pretty well from the fans most of the game.

On to Friday night game 1 vs the fish. I continued my streak and Im 4 for 4 on the year have been to each game. They said the attendance was 39,000 it looked no where close to that, that was a far stretch. Another solid weather night, after they said It may rain. I was very impressed with Trax, his first inning was shaky, but he realy looked like a veteran against a lot of the fishy little leaguers. Not much I can say about the offense other then it is impressive, and Rick Down did a hell of a job in St.Lucie with improving the pitchers batting tactics. Trax continued the streak and helped out his cause for a win last night with a hit. From seeing all 4 games, and Anderson Hernandez bat in each game, he clearly looks overmatched. I've seen some realy poor swings from him over the course of this week, he realy needed some more fine tuning in AAA. Sure his defense is stellar, except theres only a certain amount of time that the defense can carry him if he cant hit.

17. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap! Rick Down actually does something?!?!?!

I was at game 5 of the 2000 NLCS when Jay Payton got drilled and tried to charge the mound. That was pretty interesting to see, but the crowd didn't seem to care that much as we were on the verge of becoming NL Champs. It was just further delaying the inevitable.

Well, game got cancelled and they'll make it up in July as part of a double header. I don't know why they don't make it a double header tomorrow, but whatever, what do I know?

18. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good pitchers duel at Shea yesterday. D-Train vs. Glavine. Willis went 8 strong and allowed 2 runs, while Glavine allowed 2 over 6. The Mets rallied from 2-0 down to tie it at 2 in the bottom of the 7th. David Wright got 2 rbi's with a triple. In the bottom of the ninth, with men on 1st and 3rd, they decided to pitch to Wright, and he hit a sac fly that scored Beltran for the win.

David Wright has been damn impressive so far. It's scary how good he's becoming, and how clutch he's been. I don't think the Mets have had a player like this since Edgardo Alfonzo during the 2000 season. The guy hits it opposite field and has total control with his bat. It's sick.

Mets are at RFK starting Tuesday for their first road series of the season. Interesting to see if the Pedro/Guillen thing will carry over.

19. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    It will. The media will make sure of it. Who gets the first start in Washington?
    I hate to follow up a question with another question, but when do you guys think Pelfrey will crack the rotation?

20. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Got tickets for the Sunday game against the Brewers. Bannister is the probably starter.

21. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bannister goes tomorrow against Ortiz. We'll see how Bannister's second outing goes tomorrow. Remember that Bannister also hit a couple of Nats during last week's series; most notably, the pitch to Soriano's head. But Pedro starts Wednesday, so we'll see what happens. Bob Watson told both teams to play nice. I'm not really worried about it, but with Jose Guillen, who the hell knows?

I think I need to get myself a David Wright jersey.

22. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Exactly what I was thinking. I want the pin-stripe one though.

23. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, some guy on eBay sells 'em for $200, plus $8.50 shipping. That's like $50 cheaper than retail I think. Jersey looks legit too, with authentic numbers and letters. Of course, I miss the days when I had a 30% discount from working at the Mets Clubhouse Shop.

24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    haha wow thats awsome, I heard them talking about that on the FAN last night, I knew someone would find it.

after being at every met home game this past week here are a few things.

Willie- He realy has seemed to mature as a manager, there are still politics involved but not as much as last year.

Starting Pitching- well seeing everyone except Zambrano, they seem to realy have grown on the fact that they have a solid offense to back them up. A good offense + decent defense = the pitchers can do what they want and not have everything hit the fan.

Reyes + Wright- everyone knows it, I mean everytime I read or hear about these guys, and that there only 22 and 23, to think we can have 10 more years, its just awsome. Reyes is still a little raw, developing nicely, from last season to this you can realy tell he is more confident at the plate. I think it has to do with knowing he has Lo Duca, Beltra, Delgado, and Wright behind him to move him along. Whereas last season it was Matsui, Beltran, Floyd, Piazza. Quite a difference, and I think it has payed off, he takes a lot more pitches and seems strong. At sundays game, when I looked at Wright all I could think of is the word Poised. This kid is clutch and realy poised at the plate, its amazing to see.

Newbies (Nady, Lo Duca, Delgado) - Nady had the fans with him with his strong showing out of the game, add some nice defense and he's impressive to date. Lo Duca, a great addition a realy hard nosed player, calls a good game, and nice with the bat. Delgado, has done what hes here for, has hit well and a good clubhouse guy with all the youngsters.

Pen Newbies- Jorge Julio.... sucks, hate it to break it to you Omar and Willie but if you guys are this "win now team" winning now is going to be difficult with this guy on the roster. Were stuck with him due to the politics.

Sanchez- absolutely nasty, I had heard of his filthy stuff when he was in LA but now to see it almost on a daily basis, is another story. He likes to pitch as much as possible, and realy looks confident on the hill.

Bradford + Oliver- have looked good their couple of innings of work

Wagner- still getting accustomed I think, he'll be fine once he is 100%

As for the Minors and to answer your Pelfrey question. He is in St.Lucie and has pitched well so far, striking out 6 in 5 scoreless innings in his first pro start. Alay Soler followed it up the next night also went 5 scoreless and struck out 5. As for other notable news, Henry Owens in 4 innings for AA Bingo has struck out 10 batters, and not given up a hit. The only guys at AAA to pay attention to are Milledge, Keppinger, Bell, and Ring. Bell and Ring have both pitched well, so as soon as they are fed up with anyone in the pen cough *Jorge Julio* cough, one of the 2 will be sent up. Pelfreys future looks bright, and fast approaching, once the weather warms up he'll get called up to AA Bingo, and then if he realy excells and overpowers hitters, he will be in Norfolk by September. Then from there it all depends on how our rotation is doing. So Pelfrey AA for sure, AAA if all goes well september late summer, and finaly NY Mets 07'. Thats all if everything goes well, and our rotation hits the fan.