The Teal Bunbury Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by morry, Jul 26, 2010.

1. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally conceived as the "Josh Wolff needs to go thread"- no no no

How about that rookie?

It has only been three matches since he began starting up top and he has only scored the one goal but this looks like an entirely different club with Teal starting (and Wolff sitting). His strength has given MLS center backs fits and Chris Smalling didn't look much better versus the big Canuck either. His ability to hold up play combined with his threatening speed to open up backlines is really working out to his advantage. There seems to be a lot more chemistry between Teal, Kei and Ryan than there was with Josh roaming up top- they look for each other and are playing for each other which is refreshing and hopeful.

2. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    undeniable.

3. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's no coincidence that this turnaround we are on is because of Teal (and Auvray ;)) being in the starting XI. If we get Omar Bravo, I would be very surprised if Josh gets any substantial minutes for the rest of the season. I'm glad it didn't take all season for PV to finally figure out that Teal needs to be playing and Josh needs to be sitting.

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've like Teal since his first minutes on the team. I really think he could become a force in this league and if he pledges allegiance to the US, he could be a future starter on the USMNT.

I just hope PV and company doesnt screw up his development.

5. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    add the 3 mids to that list as well, the overlapping runs that Davy has gotten when Teal comes back to the ball and holds have produced. The overall movement and understanding of space just seem to be better with Bunbbury, and he has the skill set and athletic ability to play CF, which im not sure many others on the team have.

6. CTMo

CTMo Member

Jul 7, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he stated that he wants to play for the US? or Canada?

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he's said Canada, but I don't have the time to go searching for the article.

8. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me for using Wiki for this, but:

I would imagine Canada since he's already played with and knows the squad pretty much.

9. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but he will never get to play in a WC with Canada. That would be a huge selling point for me to make the switch.

10. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why bump? the last post is only an hour ago.

12. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Didn't stop Ryan Giggs playing for Wales, or George Best for Northern Ireland. Sometimes your own country means more than flying the flag of convenience that other players do.

13. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont disagree with that nor would I blame him for choosing to play for Canada. I was just making the point that he has an incentive for making the switch.

14. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I believe Bunbury's problem lies in how he is identified. Yes, he was born in Canada, but knows very little about the country. All of his development happened here in the US. He tried to make the US youth teams, but never made the cut for whatever reason.

His dad used his contacts to get him on the Canadian youth team. Even though he made the squad, he played very little. My sense is: Bunbury is truly a late bloomer. He started to excel at Akron, but only in his sophomore year. He started off slow here, but is about to become a force in the MLS.

Canada continues to claim his as their own in terms of development, but never had him as a "must have." His recent form has caught their eye and they are hoping he commits to them. Again, I believe his dad is playing a major role in keeping him on the Canadian radar.

Hopefully, the US is seeing him as their own product, and are making all the necessary moves to get him in one of their camp.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently on It's Called Football last night, Teal was on and from the talk they seem to think he's going to choose the USA over Canada, http://bit.ly/b8z7Xh

16. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How far is he really from being a impact on the USMNT? What does Jozy have on him? Seriously? I know it might sound crazy in a knee jerk reaction, but its not like Jozy has a ton of skill or some great tactical head. Bunbury is more raw at this point, Jozy understands the game better since he transfered, but its not like Jozy has taken any steps that would indicate he is going to be even close to worth his 10million transfer fee or hype. Bunbury is bigger, faster, and his feet are just as quick. I actually think he strikes the ball better than Jozy does as Bunbury can strike the ball really well low and hard. Hes just a better athlete.

What forward on the national team is clearly "better"? With how the midfield attacks, a forward that can push and force pressure on the D is key, and even though Teal is still raw, this is something he does quite well. Teal has the potential to be a massively impactful player, the sky is really the limit with his phyiscal attributes and skill considering. The rest of the forward pool has either hit their wall in terms of improvement, or just isnt improving like one would have expected.

Teal still panics a bit when he gets isolated on breakaways etc. but I think thats just a matter of comfort in the situation as he has increased in the stage.

17. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Jozy is pure shit.

18. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought into the hype up until about a year and half ago. Him being basically a pen'd in starter for the USMNT just shows the state of the forward for us. I dont think its crazy to say Teal isnt far from being at the least on par with the current pool, heck, just based on all the true forwards really not being any good (Dempsey is a midfielder, Buddle needs to be paired with speed, etc..), if you default then to phyiscal ability, its over, Teal is cleary a specimen.

19. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he had some potential, but he never seemed to progress past the raw stage. That is where Bunbury is now and it will be interesting to see how he develops from this point.

Bunbury needs to work on his first touch and his finishing or he will end up like Jozy.

20. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    isn't jozy only 21?

21. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    20 for two more days.

Jozy Altidore: November 6, 1989
    Teal Bunbury: February 7, 1990

22. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah -- that is right where I am with regard to Jozy, he just quit going forward in terms of his development and maybe even stepped back. Admittedly a season under Phil Brown might do that to anybody but he has to step up sooner or later and he hasn't. His potential was exciting, but at some point you have to actually achieve it be considered a player of note and he hasn't.

I can see Bunbury progressing past Jozy pretty quickly, hopefully if 3rd rate Europe comes knocking with a bench warming spot open he will have learned a lesson or two from Altidore and declines.

23. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this

24. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though Teal and Jozy are similar in age, I see Teal as much more mature in the head than Jozy, which gives him a big edge in development.

Sure, Teal had an idiot moment in San Jo, but I'll take that over Jozy showing up late to practice and then Twittering about it.

25. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little bit of college never hurt anybody.....;)