The Sun (UK) trashes the Galaxy

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by RedBulls, Jul 19, 2007.

1. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

And rightly so:

"...As Tuesday’s game kicked off at 5.30pm, there were scarcely 2,000 fans sprawled round the Home Depot. And the Galaxy’s hard-core supporters, known as the LA Riot Squad, totalled FOURTEEN...Not surprisingly the team were booed off at the end and coach Frank Yallop was barracked all the way down the tunnel...A shell-shocked Lalas faced the Press afterwards, wearing a look of abject horror. He has put his heart and soul into bringing Becks to LA, yet the grand project is in danger of blowing up in his face..."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007330371,00.html

2. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I'm afraid that it will blow in his face. Maybe he had it coming with all those trades?

Either way, I don't like Lalas as GM.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only problem is that this backfiring will hurt the whole league.

4. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    First - I think its great Becks has come over

Second - Galaxy are a debacle, and it may very well be Lalas fault...Id like to hear from Galaxy fans on who is to blame for the poor performance.

5. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Amen!!! And Rep! I hope we havent dug our own grave!

6. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Telegraph does the same with its own scathing article.

7. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading all these British Tabloid stories has been pretty entertaining.

8. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can trash the Galaxy all they want, but AEG is laughing all the way to the bank.

The Galaxy do suck though.

9. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hence the problem. Do you see the Galaxy fans laughing? Frank Yallop? The players? You saw the look on Beckham's face while he was at the game, right?

AEG are really beginning to show just how little actual results mean to them...and that is going to kill the LA Galaxy brand in the long run.

10. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to British football coverage if you're not familiar with it. Exaggerate the bad, downplay the good.

It was a pointless exhibition match ... 2000 fans is actually a fine turnout for a game with zero meaning and coverage. But of course leave it the British press to blow things out of proportion.

The Galaxy will be fine when all the cameras are on and the whole world is paying attention and stadiums are filled. Becks will make the players around him better.

Just a typical overreaction by the Brits ... it's a weekly thing in England.

11. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'm a Quakes fan, I knew this two years ago.

LA has some serious issues, but I think they extend off the pitch since they're actually at least a moderately talented side:

Goal: Cannon (very good)
    Defense: Needs work but manageable; it'd be helped if Albright could return healthy
    Midfield: Beckham and Landon alone make the midfield pretty talented (although the plan is to play Beckham in the middle...:rolleyes:); plus Klein, Kirk, and Jones
    Forwards: Pavon and Buddle.

Something's really affecting this team, and it may just be the mere presence of ol' David B.

12. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So not only do we have the Minor Chivas in Major League Soccer, the New York Energy Drinks (officially Energy Drink New York) of which New Yorkers want no part, but now we have a cellar-dweller repping the league to the whole world.

[​IMG]
    "What is soccer? Oh, I own that. I hope gays aren't playing."

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    England is not Britain.

14. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    If I was AEG I would put beckham with the Dynamo for one year let him win the Championship and then send him to LA but no they put him in one of the worst teams in the league what a terrible mistake.

Can you picture Beckham playing for the first place Dynamo in the Finals.

15. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHE

And where is that EPL love now?????????

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Except that Beckham wouldn't have signed with MLS if he had to go to Houston. Or Dallas. Or DC. Or just about any other city in America. Posh wanted to go to LA.

And yeah, LAG is quite a mess. I don't think it destroys the league if the team doesn't make the playoffs but it is a missed opportunity. What I think would be worse would be if his ankle is a chronic thing so he misses a lot of LAG games, doesn't play 90 minutes and so folks who bought tickets see him play for 45 minutes or not at all and claim it's MLS doing another "Adu" again. And that would be a shame b/c David Beckham has always been about honest effort, heart and giving it all for his team. Often not the most talented player on the pitch but almost always the player with the most heart.

17. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English reporters blast Galaxy

LONDON, July 19 (Reuters) - David Beckham's new team -- the L.A. Galaxy -- has been dismissed as a pub team by English reporters who watched their 3-0 loss to Mexican side Tigres in a friendly.

The Sun newspaper on Thursday described them as a shambles and said: "Frankly, Becks' new team resembles a Sunday morning pub side.

Now they are bashing the Galaxy and toning it down a bit on the league (MLS)!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/07/19/galaxy.pubteam/index.html

18. SidFarkus

SidFarkus New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    New Jersey
    No, it was pretty embarrassing anyway you slice it.

It's not as black and white as you slice. Sure, the English press overblows everything... but it's also true that the turnout for the game was embarrassing and so is the play of the Galaxy.

19. Super White Boy

Super White Boy New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Re: English reporters blast Galaxy

Phuk'em!

20. Super White Boy

Super White Boy New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    At what point did anyone expect the British media to say a single positive thing about anything that has to do with MLS?

21. joamiq

joamiq Member

Feb 14, 2006
    DC

Jaja
    Yawn.

22. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    1950 World Cup, what a joke for English press. So we can ignore them.

23. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Your team got turned over by Richmond, however good Richmond are they're still semi-professional. I know people are tired of hearing it, but it happened. How can they down play the good, when you aren't having any good on the pitch? Blah, blah, financial, business, ect, ect. Ben Franklin? He can't score goals.

24. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando

English reporters are trained to "bash" things. It was just a stupid friendly for Pete's sake. I doubt there will be articles tomorrow about how the MLS punked Celtic tonight.

25. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Pub leagues... you know, the leagues they have over there that are crappy enough for actual English players to play in.