(THE SUN ARTICLE): "It's Time to Think About the End of Wenger"

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Jan 18, 2012.

1. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    you say that like he is currently being successful. he isn't. he hasn't been for a long long time.

and in case you missed my post in another thread, the last time the arsenal team were doing this badly at this stage, the manager WAS sacked.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he cant go on another year. For his sake and the club's.

The real problem is the incompetent board, and they will be found out once Wenger is gone, but I cant excuse 12 million on Gervinho. I cant excuse Chamakh and Squillaci. I cant excuse seeing young players sent out on loan and not playing because they are not good enough. Wenger has to go at the end of the year. Firing now will be stupid because that shit could make us even worse, but he needs to get a golden parachute and GTFOH in May. Champions League qualification or not.*

I hope Wenger steps down and goes to PSG or Madrid and get a real chance at Champions League. And I hope we get someone in to move the club forward, but I have no faith in this board to do that.

*I reserve the right to change this position

WoodDraw, charlie15 and TxTechGooner repped this.
  3. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    our matches are like they are in a training session.. problem is, the other team is playing a professional football match. they are actually engaged and are trying to kick your ass.
    we act like its all fun and games and woah... you get paid to kick the ball around a field of grass.

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    dude, he hasn't been successful in almost a decade.
    this isn't 2002.

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok, I'm in Athens, GA right now, and it resembles a wake. Which is sort of what this is place is like right now. Since we're all mourning the loss of our beloved Arsenal, I have to ask what you would do to fix the club? It's not enough to say Wenger has to go: you have to say what you would do to replace him and improve the team. Discuss.

6. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's not enough to talk about sacking Wenger--we need to talk about constructive solutions and alternatives. Alternatives that can be successful for as long a period of time as Arsene has been. Otherwise we're Liverpool.

7. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Damn, posted without looking

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I understand you the question you are asking, but I will answer with a simpler response (that also has no chance of being accomplished): we all, as fans, need to stop buying jerseys and to cease and desist in giving our money to a team that seems more interested in maintaining cashflow than winning trophies. I don't expect fans to ever successfully boycott games, because going to games is fun and it (can be) entertaining. But why anyone would pay $80 or so for a jersey that's going to be changed next year anyway just to reward a team that has very little motivation for actually winning, well, I just don't understand.

9. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The depressing thing is that for the first time ever, the control/power of the board is not in the hands of Arsenal supporters. The vermin that have currently infested our beloved club's top spots are not hurting today like we are. The majority shareholder, I'm convinced, is happy with mediocrity as long as there's a profit being made. Let's face it, he got involved in this "project" for the long term return. The CEO is a hired gun, a Manchester City fan who learned the ropes in MLS' business of contrived mediocrity for profit. As long as the "business" is healthy he gets his bonus. The rest, who knows, they probably don't have the pull to do anything except go along.

Even if Arsene were to leave in the short term or at the end of the season, I'm not confident either that this board knows what to do to get us where we want to be.

TxTechGooner repped this.
  10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it does. I'm gutted more than I thought I'd be. Didn't expect to beat Bama....but to come that close....ouch.

11. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsene should be made club president or something. Have him involved in running the club, transfers, etc.

His approach to managing is so stale at this point.

TxTechGooner repped this.
  12. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I should've added that I think it is time for him to move on. He has the longest dry spell as well as being the most successful partly because he is the longest tenured Arsenal manager. Much like Cy Young has the record for wins and losses in baseball because he also has the records for most games & innings pitched.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And never won a single Cy Young Award. How do ya like that?

mebeSajid repped this.
  14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if he goes then i don't want him on transfers lol his old strength is now a weakness

15. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's made some very poor decisions lately no doubt but also still signs good players at good value.

Cazorla, Giroud, Podolski (maybe), Koscielny, Mert, Arteta, Ox.

I think more than anything there needs to be someone who can challenge him and offer an alternative vision. The club has been willingly turned into an organization of yes men on a number of levels, not just at his.

16. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Below is an old article that seems to apply more and more...."Arsenal were last crowned champions in 2004 after completing an unbeaten League season and the Portuguese feels his old rival is running out of excuses for failing to deliver major silverware.

Arsenal have not won a trophy since the 2005 FA Cup and Mourinho believes that run will continue given the strength of rivals Chelsea and Manchester United, as well as the new threat posed by Manchester City.

"I don't think Arsenal can win," he told Sky Sports News HD. "Year after year it looks like they will but no. It's always the same type of comment, 'It's a young team, it will be next season'. FROM LONDON PAPER

17. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My view on ARsen is this...he is a great talent scout, probably the best in the world at finding gem players and developing them. However, he has poor tactical knowledge (he displays this over and over again), unable to adapt to teams, poor timing and selection of substitutes, and not a motivator, more of an reassuring grandpa.

18. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I begin by saying I am a Wenger fan to a certain extent...his footballing style of play is great! However he is not a top winning manager...so with this in mind...
    1. If Arsenal want to win trophies then ARSEN needs to move on and the gunners need to open up the bank and pay Guadroiola the big $ to take over Arsenal.
    2. If Arsenal simply want to make money by selling their developed talented young players and competing in the Champions League, then you keep Wenger and you dont win shit!
    [​IMG]
    Pretty simple approaches boys!

19. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAST ONE OK FROM THE SUN!

Mourinho rapped: “He should especially explain to Arsenal supporters how he can’t win one single little trophy since

2005.”

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Quoting Maureen is a neg rep worthy offense.

21. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those quotes are hilarious.

Mourinho has never won without drastically outspending the competition.

22. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seeing Wenger go out not on his own terms will be extremely bitter sweet for me. In fact I don't know what the 'sweet' part would even entail. I keep wanting to think he has time to turn this boat around.

A couple of nice transfers this winter should do the trick.

23. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    do you trust him not to lumber the club with more deadwood tied into long contracts at inflated wages?

24. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he is with the club AND running it, he will cast a long shadow...it is called the Shankly effect (ask any Liverpool old timer). IF he were to go, I would not mind him as the honorary president, like Di Stefano at Madrid. But, he is not going anywhere anytime soon if I have to bet.

Ultimately, the guy that paid 700 million to own Arsenal has to wake up and smell the coffee. But looking at how his other franchises are run, I am not betting on it. I hope he understands that he is not playing in a closed and capped pro league.

I think the board is incompetent and Arsene is a victim of his own success.

25. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever happened to the neg rep system?