The Summer Thread/Where's Jumhed?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is the answer they needed. (Sacrasm oozing from the words.) I hope he can show up with 20 goals a season LOL.

2. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reading all sorts of very depressing things about our interest in Alan Smith. Someone tell me this isn't true.

3. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    I sincerely hope it's not true.

4. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    Really? I don't think Smith would be that bad of a replacement for Mido. He's strong, can play in the target forward role and is decent in the air. Not sure how willing he'd be to settle for being our 4th striker, but I think he'd be a decent buy.

5. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    He's a forward who doesn't score enough and who has been played in midfield on and off for a season.

I'd really rather aim higher than Smith. He's alright, don't get me wrong, but not really what we need. Plus if he's going to sit on the bench at a club it might as well be United. I hear he may be off to Boro though, the papers keep talking of a £6m bid being accepted.

6. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt he wants to leave Man Utd to be buried as a third/fourth option. Let Boro have him.

7. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    If ManU take care of business he'll be buried as 3rd-4th option as well. I'd take him for the right price, we seem to be able to make something of former Leeds players...

8. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    Reports are that Smith's rejected the move to Boro - which doesn't surprise me. Plus his price seems pretty reasonable - 5-6 mil.

I agree that he hasn't scored much since his move to Utd, but it's mainly because he's been played in midfield. Apart from his most recent appearance for England, he's been pretty decent up front (at least whenever I've watched him). I think he's got a lot more to offer as a striker and I like his combattive streak.

If we've got 3 top notch strikers already, we can afford to take a bit of a gamble on the 4th, so I hope we go for him. My bet is that he'll start scoring again.

9. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No worries about Smith, because the news is that Bent is done and dusted.

10. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
  11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apparently SWP is being looked at as well. There would be a logic for that, as SWP can also play as a forward and Lennon can play a more free attacking midfield role.

Bent, SWP, Kaboul, Petrov and another centre mid would suit me fine :p

Then time to offload Defoe and the other unwanted lot.

12. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You can go read it on spurscommunity, it's an ITK thing

13. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Exciting times :D

14. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted a link about the whole SWP thing. HE is going to come at quite a price I believe don't know if its worth it.

15. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    I'd rather keep Routledge as Lennon's backup/alternate than spend money on SWP.

16. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    I would agree there, i'm not so keen on either but better the one who already plays for you than the one costing £8m and £35k a week.

Also, Ziegler is set to leave for Sampdoria for £1.4m. It's in The Times today. He was on loan there for the season just gone.

17. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  18. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im very happy with what spurs have done so far I mean we have signed big profile players(Bale and Bent) that are very young and very good. One that has been outstanding in the prem and scored like 36 goals in 2 seasons and he was hurt for a little. Also we have a youngster that has drawn comparsions to becks although that is yet to be seen. All in all very happy but the transfer period hasn't even officially started yet..... I think. It starts July 1st right? Well if it has then great job and keep up the fire guys.

20. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Defoe to West Ham, unless the club makes some kind of deal for him with Chelski for Wright-Phillips.

22. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Villa and Portsmouth are supposed to be interested in Defoe.

I still like Defoe, would be a shame if he did go.

23. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    I think he will want to go for his own good. He's at an age where he needs to be starting.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him at Wham again. The new house, the new girl, I can't see a move to the south coast or birmingham being very appealing. I'd prefer him to stay but will totally understand why he would leave. If he does.

24. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    I'm really going to miss Jermain Defoe...******** bent, he better be golden at 17 million.

25. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have completed the transfer its done and set here comes bent.
    http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...ME=soccer/07/06/29/SOCCER_Tottenham_Snap.html
    Very nice that we are getting good young english talent. I think Berbs will stay but I mean signing a guy for a record breaking transfer fee means that he won't be on the bench for long but we will make oogles of money from the berbs deal if he were to go. Talk about silly money from him alone we better sell for like 40-50 mil no questions asked.