The Summer Thread/Where's Jumhed?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    It was in the Guardian this morning. Sportinglife have stolen it from there.

3. KHowe

KHowe Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Western MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Isn't that a good thing? We need a hard nose player like a young Davids that can aggrivate the other sides for 90 minutes.

Teemu plays like this, but doesn't have the skill to be a starter, unfortunately.

4. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog

Drenthe is only a Davids replica in terms of look. He's very black (from Surinam) with dreadlocks and predominantly left footed.

Apart from that he is nothing like Davids. From what i've seen, Drenthe is a creator with great delivery from free kicks and corners. He has scored a goal from a free-kick (albeit a weak one that the Belgian keeper palmed into his own net) and caused a lot of worry in the opposition box. He plays at left mid but is a converted left back. He is not a player to aggrevate the opposition or break up play. Not from what i've seen anyway.

5. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    I don't know anything about Drenthe and have never seen him play, but what's interesting is how much apparent interest he's gotten since the U21 game against England. It's one of two things:

1) Teams knew nothing about him before and suddenly developed an interest in him because he showed well against England - nevermind what he's done in the past.

2) The media only just heard about him and decided to start stories linking him to English teams.

Or it could be a combination of the two.

6. KHowe

KHowe Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Western MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I've never seen him play, I assumed the replica comment was in terms of play, not appearance. Too bad...

7. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Henry's going to Barcelona :D Spanish news, tv and radio are reporting it's £16m and four years. Done tonight.

If true :)

I am going to Barcelona in August/September. I'll buy some eggs and boo him :) (maybe not).

No idea if Eto'o is moving the other way or anything else, it's not even been confirmed yet. It's on the SSN Breaking news ticker though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6231950.stm

Very small story, waiting for confirmation.

8. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good news. I hope Walcott enjoyed playing with his hero for all of 5 minutes.

9. KHowe

KHowe Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Western MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I just heard it on World Soccer Daily.

BTW, I wrote an email about an hour ago telling Steven to quit blaming the US about the bad call against Canada last night. He read it and said good point haha.

Let's snap up Bent now just so Arse can't sign him. Considering his fee is the same as Henry, he's looking like a deal now.

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You're spot on. I don't get why people keep calling him the new Davids. The only similar things are his looks and his drive, they both just won't stop. In terms of play, Drenthe is not like the pitbull in midfield Davids used to be. Instead, he's all about attacking, attacking, attacking.

12. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Harry Hotspur had a small bit on "Who is this Roysten Drenthe chap, then?" with a very short video clip on his site on June 13th. That was about the time I started seeing the media buzz, before they played England but around the time of the U21 tourny. He hasn't disappointed in the tourney.

-Digital

13. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Harry Hotspur's site is full of shite. See how that rhymes?

It is though. Stolen info from other sites, passed off as his own info for the sake of a few clicks from newsnow viewers. Should not be taken seriously, just another blog looking for pay-per-click pennies.

However, with regard to this particular player.. Drenthe has been good in the tournament, Holland won 4-1 in the final vs Serbia. 1-0 and then Serbia had a man sent off.. Holland missed a penalty too. I only saw the first half though.

But remember there are always one or two players who impress in a 4 game tournament against people their own age range. The real test is in league football. I hope any team scouting him seriously have looked in depth at the player and don't buy him on the basis of the U21 tournament.

14. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
  15. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    It's all rubbish.

Faubert is going to Rangers. The agent is trying to drum up some alternative interest. Vieri got released by Atalanta, he's fat and lazy and a massive ego. It would be a pointless signing.

16. Bizarro Spur

Bizarro Spur Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I don't understand the part about depending upon Spurs keeping Chimbonda. Are they saying that this player will only joing if Chimbonda stays or goes?

17. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    They are saying if Chimbonda stays (which he will) then Faubert wont sign for us.

18. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    :D

A convenient scenario for Faubert's agent ;)

19. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they not like each other or something??

20. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Doh.

They probably don't even know each other. This is the point.. Chimbonda isn't leaving, so any agent talk about Faubert becomes irrelevant. It's name dropping for the sake of it. Faubert is a right midfielder and Chimbonda a right back so there is no competition.

Like saying that Spurs are interested in Cristiano Ronaldo but only if Paul Robinson leaves.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    dammit, dan, if this ends up in The Sun tomorrow ... !

22. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    It might!

Who knows. I have previous for this sort of thing!!

23. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't even know about the guy so I was trying to find out if there was some history with pascal and this other guy.

24. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    For all those keeping score at home, Basturk has signed for Stutguart, and it happened in may...didn't see it mentioned here.

and the Vieri talk has to be a joke...

though the gunners are in the market for a striker...

25. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Marlon Harewood to Arsenal for £4m ;)

:D