The Steven Gerrard saga (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Its only Ray Parlour, Jul 5, 2005.

1. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Re: He's going.

Gerrard is spewing complete rubbish. He is attempting to cover his tracks and cover up the greed which has motivated this move.

At the begining of the year he was heartset on leaving Liverpool, but before Istanbul he had a reason: The club supposedly couldn't compete for major titles.

That excuse quickly went out the window with the victory, and a new one had to be conjured up. The problem is the new one makes absolutley no sense to anyone. 100,000 pounds a week, becoming the highest paid footballer to ever wear the kit, that is not in any way a sign of disrespect. In fact is the highest compliment the club could pay him.

Gerrard is making excuses and trying to get off the hook with the fans that he "loves". But he never will in my eyes. Thousands of fans went deep in to debt to be there that night in Istanbul, to listen to him say he couldn't leave after a night like that.

And now he has betrayed every last one of them. He doesn't go for glory, he found the apex of that in Istanbul, winning the Champions League in front of one of the most loyal groups of fans in the history of sport.

No, rather he goes purely and simply for an extra 50,000 pounds a week or whatever Real Madrid and Chelsea can pay him. Steven Gerrard is a liar and Steven Gerrard lacks loyalty.

He disgraces all of the great badge kissers of Liverpool's past, and don't buy into this PR campaign which was begun by this statement.

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's too bad that this is what the game's come to,but it has.No use crying over spilt milk (now spilt beer,fine - cry like a little baby over that).

I can't blame Steven much.Money talks,and talks big.Liverpool knew and he knew that the club could never compete with money offered by Europe's richest clubs.I will never argue with a professional in any field trying to get the best deal possible,especially in a profession which is so short-lived in peak earning years.

I don't blame Rafa for not giving away the store to a player that maybe isn't a perfect fit with his long-term vision of what the club could be.The Mendieta sale is a great example of how this move can secure the next five years at the club.

Us supporters?We didn't go anywhere when anyone else left,and we won't go now.That's the part of the game that hasn't changed yet.May it never.

Cheers and YNWA.

3. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any one want to buy some old kit, real cheap?

How about two Steven Gerrard's (white away and this year's red) and I'l throw in a little Mikie shirt as well.

I'm keeping my Fowler and Riise and Dietmars.

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

You really can't expect us to care about that. Besides, their parternship at Chelsea would be totally different than their partnership for England. At Chelsea they would have Makalele behind them and Gerrard would be playing a completley different role than he does in the England team.

5. Bjornebye

Bjornebye Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Grimstad
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

He's going.

Stig

6. GeorgiaHoo

GeorgiaHoo New Member

May 5, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd take several players from Real Madrid, including Michael Owen, Walter Samuel, and Juanfran.

7. GeorgiaHoo

GeorgiaHoo New Member

May 5, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Who do we replay Gerrard with?

I'm hoping we get 30 million + Owen and Juanfran from Madrid. I'd take the same amount + Cole and Gallas from Chelsea, or same amount + Kaka from Milan

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

Just a quick question - isn't Gerrard actually passing up a financial windfall by leaving? As I understand it, he was offered massive wages by Parry that would be above the wages he would earn at either Real or Chelsea. (Yes, even Chelsea.) An honest question here - not trolling. As I've said before, I know how it feels to have your captain torn from your side after some glorious years. (See: Nesta, Alessandro.)

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Good luck looking for that sort of package.

10. EvanhamFC

EvanhamFC New Member

May 12, 2005
    United States

I've always liked Stevie, his style of football, his personality, and his leadership. If he goes to Chel$ki, however, I'll lose every bit of respect I had for him. Where's the loyalty that he pledged to Anfield not long ago?

Anywhere but Che$ki...

11. givemehistory

givemehistory New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Chicago

This just proves that he really wants to leave, then, doesn't it? :(

12. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who knows what he'll be paid somewhere else. Yes, it is clear that the wage bill wasn't the driver. As I said above he thinks that earning a championship with LFC will be too hard, so why not sign on with your lot and ride along to win one. Of course that assumes that ManUre, the Gooners, and LFC will roll over and play dead again. That's not a given. See my sig.

Look, he is a great footballer but he's not a rocket scientist. Strange that a Huyton boy wants to play for bored, public school, City bond traders every other week in your mausoleum.

13. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just to stick it to him, lets Cup tie him, then see his reaction!

14. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

now that would really stick it to SG --- reduce what we'd get for him by two thirds

15. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn, I was hoping you'd mention how there's no way in hell Gallas leaves West London b/c of how highly Mourinho rates him.

;)

16. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was being sarcastic :D

17. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll rep that.

It was on more than one occasion that he went out of his way after a goal celebration to distance himself from his teammates. Regardless of talent I didn't ever get the impression he was really the "Captain" of this team. IIRC it was him who ran screaming past everyone jersey in mouth after a free kick goal vs. Everton. Nevermind the guy who won the free kick.

Hell, nevermind the players that won him the right to lift that big shiny cup in May.

No one is bigger than the club.

All along Rafa has said the right things but it should have been apparent he wasn't going to put up with egos and when Owen went to "Spanglish FC" we should have all seen Benitez meant business.

You can't read these following words and not see that Benitez could give two shits if Gerrard wants to leave. The man has a vision for LFC and anyone who doesn't want to help to realize that vision can pursue employment elsewhere.

I'll put my faith in the manager because he has come through when it counted on more than one occasion for more than one club.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

I don't know what his motivation is - I just asked about the money, because I don't think that's it.
    I could speculate for a while as to why he's leaving, and I think reasonably highly of my guesstimation skills that I'd likely be somewhat correct. But your boards aren't the place to do it.

Frankly, I don't want him at Chelsea for that massive fee, and while I've always liked him as a player, I have to be honest - there is something attractive about a home grown player who was a fan before becoming captain. Its sad that another player like that is leaving in the world of sports, although its quite common these days. And while I'd welcome him to Chelsea with open arms (and as a Chelsea fan I'd do the same for almost any player whether I wanted them or not), I do somewhat wish he hadn't left this way.
    But - c'est la vie. I'd wish your boys luck - but not too much luck. :)

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Hey, I'm as annoyed at the biweekly "when is Gallas leaving" threads as you must be by the "is Gerrard leaving" threads.
    Oh, wait. ;)

20. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Any one want to buy some old kit, real cheap?

I do need some new rags to clean my boots with. How's the integrity of the material? Is it strong and credible or paper thin and questionable?

21. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Two words: Paul Kariya.

On the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim fan board, I dubbed him "That Little Weasel". He held the club hostage to get a mammoth financial deal several years ago, and later he was quoted as saying, "I want to raise the (Stanley) Cup wearing a Ducks jersey."

He is hated by many Anaheim fans because he took a paycut and a one year deal to play for the Colorado Avalanche, a blood rival of Anaheim.

The only thing that Gerrard could do that would be comparable to That Little Weasel's play would be to sign with one of the top 3 EPL clubs. Real Madrid, Barca, or a Serie A side would be bitter, but not a stab in the back of the magnitude of Chelsea, ManU or the Arsenal.

I can't wish him well. I think these things are betrayals because without a loyal fan base, every sport is just a game in the park. The money may come from TV revenue or from sponsorship, but unless you put people in the seats, it's just a game in the park.

Liverpool will survive the Gerrard Incident, and I hope he enjoys Michael Owens' recent success.

22. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    Re: No One Player is Bigger than This Club

Wow! I thought I was going to take a break from the board for the summer, I can't believe Stevie's leaving, but I can't say I'm surprised I mean we all had a feeling that it could end this way. It just hurts when it actually happens. I'm not going to say anything mean about our former captain, because he gave me some good memories, to include his brilliant header that got our scoring roll started in the CL final. Wherever Stevie goes next I hope he has success. I must say however, that the title of this thread has never been truer, for here WE the supporters are, STILL RED!! In today's sports world it would be unreasonable to think that a player will stay with just one club for his entire career, not to say it doesn't happen, but it is rare. No matter who comes, who goes, WE will still be here holding our Red scarves up in the air!

When you walk........Through a storm......hold your heeeeeaaad up high.....

I'll miss ya Stevie, YNWA

23. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

I can't see any other reason for his leaving. At this point, I don't feel any anger at all. I'm just mystified.

I can't imagine Chelsea paying him whatever Liverpool offered. Ditto Real or Milan. Does he have a better chance of winning the League at Chelsea? Sure, but he might actually diminish their chances by adding to Liverpool's transfer kitty. He could improve his global appeal by going to Madrid or Milan but he's already done permanent damage to his image as a one of the good guys.

I just can't see what the motivation is here.

24. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona

25. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hell if we fetch a straight 40 mil for him, lets get serious and get Robinho.