The Steven Gerrard saga (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Its only Ray Parlour, Jul 5, 2005.

1. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: He's going.

I concur. As I said in the previous thread-- I hope he fires his agent. That won't happen I suppose. I guess he's going to listen to his agent telling him--the Champion's League win was a fluke, you gotta go to a global club who will pay you what you are worth blah, blah, blah.

Fvck I'm pissed right now.

2. twh3

twh3 New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY

Rafa's been here before, and he's had much success... When he came into the Valencia side, he made a shrewd move, much like this Gerrard move: he sold Mendietta, the heart and soul of the Champion's league finalist side, to Lazio for £27 million. Mendietta's career never rebounded (he was back in Spain the following year with Barcelona, didn't do much, and ended up at Boro) while Rafa lead a re-vitalized Valencia to a UEFA CUP win and a La Liga title.

While risky, Rafa knows the game he is playing. Here is to history repeating.

3. mark madden

mark madden New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    pittsburgh, pa

the real dagger in the back is going to be when gerrard arrives at his new destination and explains his departure from liverpool by saying that the european cup win was a fluke. which is what he probably believes, anyway.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. ScottRP

ScottRP New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Newton, MA
    Re: No One Player is Bigger than This Club

And if you come to Foxboro in a Chelsea shirt...I'll be the one still wearing RED

YOU"LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!!! NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB!!!

Goodbye and may you never lift another trophy.

6. JosyMU_DS

JosyMU_DS New Member

Jun 9, 2004

gutted is not a strong enough word for how I feel about steven at this moment. As much as I'd like to think of a reason of WHY he is doing this..i just cant come up with one...how easily did he forgot those words "How could I think about leaving after a night like this?" is trully amazing to me. The fact that he is upset the club were not tripping over themselves with a contract in their hand when HE felt like it, shows that he was looking for the slightest excuse to back down from the words he said in a moment of extreme joy.

I just hope he doesn't end up in Chelsea for the sake of..everyone besides Chelsea.

So much for loyalty, players these days need to think for themselves and not for an agent trying to get a cut of the transfer. I hope he puts in the transfer request and his agent gets nothing.

7. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The man is a turncoat through and through. He's a bloody liar. He said in his own words "how can I leave after a night like this?". Face facts people, the man pulled a Benedict Arnold, gave hope to every Liverpool fan worldwide, and then turned his back on the club. Some here say we should remember history, and be thankful for all he gave to the club. How can we? He took history and threw it on the floor. He kissed the crest, he kissed the cup, he wore the Hillsborough wristband for gods sake. After all that, he has turned his back on his home, on HIS CLUB. The captain has jumped ship. What he has done to the club is unbelievable. My only satisfaction coming from this is that I know we can build the club around a new team. If he ever, ever comes back to Anfield, he should be treated as villain number 1, because we gave it all to him, it was his club, and he pretty much shat on the crest. He's a disgrace to the shirt.

8. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA

Indeed. And cost of a player goes up exponentially as a player's ability increases. I mean the big clubs will pay huge cash if they can find a top player at their peak. And it only really makes sense to buy a player in that situation if said club already has an incredibly wealthy roster. Like Real Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus, AC Milan....

Liverpool doesn't have the same budget, or the same roster. I'm thinking a manager like Rafa will make better use of the cash to build a team than he could by keeping a very highly paid star player. And he showed at Valencia that he doesn't need a Figo or Zidane to win a title.

Even if next season doesn't turn out to be excellent, I'm thinking this club has a bright long term future ahead.

9. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun

This is totally OTT - the article from Shankly Gates is reasoned criticism but this is just a verbal from a market stall. Liverpool fans, if anything should be better than that.

10. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA

I was angry when I heard the news this morning because this truly is an act of a little kid who got upset that he didn't get his way. I'm 100% behind Rafa because he is right; Stevie G was given many chances to sign a new contract, but didn't. How can someone who is fully committed to staying 30 days ago suddenly backtrack? It's absolute rubbish. His heart was never 100% committed to LFC this season.

I could understand if he wanted to leave a club that he had never won a trophy with. I could live with that. But the fact that he has won every major club trophy (except the league) shows me his selfish attitude. This guy was never captain material to begin with.

Sure we can move on from this and we will. But there are very few Steven Gerrard type players on the market. Look around and you can only group Vieira, Gattuso, Keane and Essien in that same catergory.

11. Crumpsalldave

Crumpsalldave Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    near your mum

Liverpool aren't even in the top four clubs in England anymore never mind Europe. Ha Ha Ha. Where's all the scouse vermin now? "Errrr e'll never leave, he's (Burp)pool through and through". Buahahaha, shyea right. Oh well at least you can sing your spick song, whatever it goes like...

:)

12. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun

Khhhm... "Cinco Copas!!! Ole! Ole Ole!"... High five? :)

13. centrino

centrino Red Card

Jul 5, 2005

benitez will spend the money well and in a few months no one will remember gerrard.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

From Les Lawson, of the Liverpool International Supporters' Association

'The ball is in Liverpool's court. I wouldn't sell him for less than £40million. If Chelsea come in I'd ask them for £40million plus William Gallas and Damien Duff. That's what I'd look for. With the money, I'd go out and buy Shaun Wright-Phillips, Michael Ballack and maybe Ruben Baraja. You are not going to replace him with one player.

This guy must be on drugs. Ha ha ... 40 mil + duff and Gallas. He must be kidding.

15. Tarka

Tarka New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Maryland, US

The only good side to him going to Chelsea (if that is where he ends up) would be the fact that it would give him and lampard time to get a strong partnership in midfield before the WC. I dont think its that fair for people to turn against him so fast, its not like he hasnt done anythng for the club hes leaving on a high note and leaving a whole sack of money :cool:

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not a Liverpool fan, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some thoughts. Isn't it great that our (former) captain has given every tosser on Big Soccer (except Thomas Flannigan) a chance to post here about what crap our club is?

How can I, after half a century, still be gutted by the mercenary attitude of the overgrown boys we support. I mean it really shouldn't surprise us.

On reflection, what the heck can be his justification for the move? Win things? A CL, UEFA, FA, European Super Cup, and two Carling Cups in five years. No EPL title, but that’s it. How is that inadequate? Or on the other hand, is it money? 100k GBP a week translates to just short of $9M a year. That’s silly, NBA money to play for your hometown team in what is not a high cost area of England. Or is it endorsements? You are not that good looking a lad and you are not likely to beat out Becks, Fat Frank, or Mikie for the English endorsement cash. After all you speak in an impenetrable Huyton scouse. Although I’m sure your agents have told you otherwise.

So the only explanation is that you have decided that you are too good for the owners, managers, trainers, fellow players, and supporters at Anfield. They are simply not up to your self-important colossal standard. They can not win enough things to fulfill what you perceive as your destiny. It is the only explanation that makes sense. So now you hope that this will lead you to something up to your standards. Like winning balls for Drogba and Fat Frank.

On the other hand, how about 20 million pounds and Juan Fran with little Mikie thrown in? Perhaps Real M1erda will want to trade in last year's Liverpool model for this year's.

Finally, check out my new sig.

18. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Well,the bidding war will begin shortly,so i think we should get around 35 million for him.As an england fan i would like to see gerrard and lampard play together in a team,but as a liverpool fan it would hurt me dearly to see him walk out at anfield with a chelsea shirt on.

So,what to do with 35 million?Duff+Gallas+20 million?If we sell gerrard to Real,and rafa accpets a player plus cash deal,then i will lose all the respect i had for rafa!Real dont have any player capable of being a big hit in the EPL,so i would expect to get every penny of the 35 million.

And we will now have to find a replacement!God ,it was only a couple of weeks ago when gerrard said ¨Its now in liverpool´s court¨!!!!INCREDIBLE.I wont blame the club for all this,gerrard had his heart set on moving away from the moment he turned down Chelsea last year!Baraja,Ballack,Hargraves?

19. centrino

centrino Red Card

Jul 5, 2005

you read the post's literal meaning, but you failed to grasp its essence

20. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Who do we replay Gerrard with?

Personally if I was on the board I would take the blue's offer of 32m and include that we get Joe Cole in the deal, I think Joe is worth about 8 to 10m. if Steve goes there Cole would be on the bench for most of the season, and if he wants to play in the world cup he has to leave. Just could be a very good bit of business 32m and a quality player. :rolleyes:

21. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Re: Who do we replay Gerrard with?

Yeah,i would look for 25 + Duff/Cole+Gallas.Then use the money and the 15 million rafa has left to buy Balack,and maybe a bid for SWP.With thos four players we could move closer to ManU and Arsenal,but chelsea would be unstopable.What about milan,they could also bid for gerrard,and if they get him,then which players would you consider in a player+cash deal?

23. ChanceTheDog

ChanceTheDog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    lexington

The only way we should trade with chelsea is if they throw that rich russian in on the deal with all his money. Then we could buy him back and half of real madrid as well. oh and i can't forget Crouch.

24. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: No One Player is Bigger than This Club

to quote a legendary Scouser "instant karma's gonna get you"

25. ChanceTheDog

ChanceTheDog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    lexington

I'm hoping we get around 30mil and juanfran from real madrid.