The Steven Gerrard saga (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Its only Ray Parlour, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...iteid=50061&headline=he-s-off--name_page.html

2. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gerrard hands in transfer request

That's one of the most disturbing avatars I've ever seen.

3. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Im an arsenal fan, and im going to have to agree.

4. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London

It's official. "Steven Gerrard has indicated a desire to leave Liverpool FC".

It's not an official transfer request but it's more or less the same. More news to follow.

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Yup - it's official. He gone.

6. Pelle...grino

Pelle...grino New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Chester,Englandshire

ahhh well. if he is not commited its best he goes.

carragher or hyypia as new captain?

7. GeorgiaHoo

GeorgiaHoo New Member

May 5, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: He's going.

So, who does he go to and what do we get in return? And who do we purchase to replace him? I say we do NOT sell to Chelsea. Real Madrid is where he should be sold, for cash and players, maybe Samuel or Juanfran. Guess we buy a winger (SWP?) and center mid, though I don't know who exactly.

8. lfcfan858

lfcfan858 New Member

May 19, 2003
    San Diego, CA

I have all synapses firing on who could be a possible replacement (insert discussion re: the irreplaceable Steven Gerrard here). My first thought is Essien, but with Lyon turning down that monster bid from Chelsea I assume he is out of the picture, barring a ridiculous offer of Gerrard's entire transfer fee plus Milan Baros. Ideas?

9. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London

His agent should get shot!

Jamie Carragher will be the next captain.

10. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London

Real Madrid please. For the sanity of us all.

11. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Gerrard = Raul + Guti + Juanfran

I'd definitely sell to RM away from the competition, Chelsea, but with Madrid already offering a huge amount for Robinho, I don't know how much spending power they will have. Q

12. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004

I hope he goes to Chelsea. It will make every word that came out of the man's mouth meaningless. He wanted to win titles? They won the CL. There is no more excuse to lean back on if he leaves other than greed.

I am disgusted; although not particularly suprised. The one player left who I thought got it, who understood the glory, the magic of the European nights, is leaving for a few extra quid a week.

Now Liverpool truly will become the La Liga all-stars.

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Wow...I didn't think it would really happnen. Let Madrid and Chelsea get into a bidding war and the price could approach 40 million. I would also prefer he goes to Madrid, because if he went to Chelsea I would hate him. And I really don't want to hate him after all he has done for the club (especially last season's Champions League).

His replacement should be a holding midfielder that will work well with Alonso. Our midfield will run through Xabi for now on.

14. GeorgiaHoo

GeorgiaHoo New Member

May 5, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, we probably won't get a midfielder that is as complete. Maybe Baraja from Valencia? Is Michael Ballack available? I can't think of anyone in the EPL who would be adequate, except Viera. Essien would be nice but I think he is out of the question.

15. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004

I just don't understand why he'd want to leave Liverpool ........ they have a world class manager in Rafa ......... and clearly they are improving the quality of the team with key signings ................ Liverpools looks to be a very strong contender next season. I am a Man U supporter and to be quite honest I like the looks of Liverpool's chances better than ours -- albeit if they stay healthy!

So excuse my ignorance but can somebody with a wee bit more insight/experience elaborate on what his motivation is for leaving Liverpool?

The only thing I can think of is more money -- but I was under the impression that Liverpool was planning to rectify this.

16. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD

You know, I always held the position that it would be okay if Gerrard left. After all, the transfer fee could get us the quality to replace him. But now that it's happened, I don't know if I really feel that way. Things won't be the same without him.

17. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun

All football agents should be executed. This is an absolute disgrace - I will never believe that if it was down solely to him, he'd have left.

Good luck, Stevie G, but f8cking be careful who you listen to, lad, f8cking be careful...

I felt terrible when God was sold (despite his problems and realities) but I feel f8cking dreadful now, even though I have all the trust in Rafa that he is the man to use that money well.

Well, we've lost Keegan before and got King Kenny in...

18. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA

As I was saying before, his value to the club can be compared to what other signings can do with the same amount of money. That is what I'm talking about. It's as simple as making the strongest team with the wealth that a club has.

Anyway, I guess it is disapointing that he wanted so much cash from LFC. Though should we blame him? I don't know. I haven't been such a top class professional footballer.

19. lfcfan858

lfcfan858 New Member

May 19, 2003
    San Diego, CA

I think we all share your frustration. I wonder if "why?" is even a question worth asking, seeing that the only remotely valid answer would be from somebody who knows him or is him. If the report of transfer request is true, then we just need to accept that the club will feel and look different, enjoy our good memories of having him, get some closure, and look ahead to what's next. We have a new captain to pick and some new talent to speculate on.

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

So we come to it at last. A week is a long time indeed. And gutted doesn't even descibe the feeling.

There is much about this that is not just adding up, what caused thsi ill-feeling and such a sudden chill in relations. Given that he has asked for a transfer, does that mean the agent gets nothing from us? I truly bloody hope so. And in the middle of all this turmoil, I hope clear and wise heads prevail in further transfer dealings and we do not panic.

21. lfcfan858

lfcfan858 New Member

May 19, 2003
    San Diego, CA

In case there was any doubt about Stevie asking to leave...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm

From the news post:
    A Liverpool club statement read: "The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield.

"Sadly, he has told us that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave," the statement added.

Gerrard delivered the news to Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry via his agent, Struan Marshall.

And Parry said: "We desperately want to keep Stevie and we've told him we don't want him to leave. However, in rejecting our offer of a new contract he has indicated he wants to go."​

22. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004

i dont believe he actually is leaving for a few extra £. i believe he just simply wants to better his football career and move to a bigger club.
    we may have won the CL but afterall we came 5th in the league, and looked poor all season. Rafa may have a plan which i believe wil work to change the club round, but wil this realistically happen in the next 2 years, i dont believe so.
    stevie is 25, wants to play for a bigger club simply enough, same as owen did, same as macca did. we can all have our blinkers on and pretend liverpool are that club because of this years success and 18 leagure titles, but to be honest we came 5th in league and i dont think there can be one football fan who can blame him!

23. Eertamai

Eertamai New Member

Mar 16, 2005
    London

All this trouble started when Gerrard was apparently upset over Liverpool not falling over themselves to offer a new contract the day he returned from holiday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has been waiting absolutely ages to make his true intentions clear to Liverpool. If any one is guilty of stalling it's Gerrard.

I don't think it's money, more to do with realistically winning the Premier League in the next 2 years, which for Liverpool is not going to happen. I'll be gutted if he goes to Chelsea but will be much more able to accept Real Madrid. It's a bad ending to something that could have occurred with an amicable split.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

He probably feels that he has done all he can with Liverpool. Bit gutting if you are a Liverpool fan and a kick in the teeth given his previous comments. Likewise, I feel a move to RM would be best for "us", but I'm not sure if it would be best for Gerrard. I hope you get this sorted out soon so you can hopefully bring in additional players before your season starts.

25. ChanceTheDog

ChanceTheDog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    lexington

I'm glad liverpool are holding out for Stevie to put a transfer request in, at least his agent won't get a cut that way, i have no doubt he had at least some part to play in this, even if it is Gerrards final desion. :mad: