The Steroids Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by 655321, Sep 28, 2004.

1. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Re: Bonds tested for steroids

His head has grown the same proportion that his body has. What I meant, and I'll explain it even though you already know it, is that he doesn't have that obvious stuck out forehead that people with an overload of testosterone have.

2. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

You know that cognitive dissonance that some Bush fans probably have? You're more familiar with it than you know.

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

And I know most of you will assume he's guilty until you administer the piss test yourself, which of course will never happen.

We'll never know whether he did or not. I'll admit it doesn't look good right now, but in reality we'll never know. But we're all aware that steroids don't make you hit 700 HR's and if they did, every player would be taking them right now.

I will say that it's pretty sad that Ken Caminiti can take them and other hardcore drugs and win the MVP on them, and then still be considered a hero and great all around great guy, but Bonds is suspected of it and since he doesn't "admit" it, is considered a cheat and a fraud.

5. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

You're kidding yourself if you think that even doing that would actually sway one single person.

6. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia

The next thing you know Bonds will blame Griffey.

[​IMG]

7. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH

Dude, do you even follow baseball AT ALL?

Pretty much every good MLB player DOES take them. We know this. Just look back at the problems they had in picking the Olympic qualifying team. 1/3 of the minor leaguers selected were DQ's for steroids and THAT'S IN A LEAGUE THAT HAS STRICT DOPING TESTS AND RULES. Until last year in mlb, there were no rules and no testing.

It's just common sense that at least double the percentage of major leaguers have been on the juice for the past decade. The rewards are so much greater, and there has been literally NO incentive not to do it.

Look, Bonds' accomplishments are still amazing. Even compared to all the other juiced guys right now like Thome, Sheffield, Sosa, Pujols, Bagwell, and so on, he stands out in a league completely his own. He puts good wood on the ball at a rate I've never seen before, and I don't think roids can help him do that (other than improve bat speed, perhaps). IOW, he would have been an all time great without them; it's just sad that he'll be rememberd now for being a cheater more than anything else.

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Not a baseball player but Alvin Harrison, another athlete involved with BALCO, has been banned from his sport for 4 years due to his testimony of using the undetectable steroids. What Bonds said when subpoened will come out eventually.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1905046

9. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1912471

"Court documents released late Friday offered detailed accounts of interviews by federal investigators in which BALCO executives allegedly admitted that Barry Bonds received and used steroids.

According to a memorandum summarizing the interview conducted by the Internal Revenue Service agent who headed the investigation, BALCO vice president James Valente told federal investigators on the day the lab was raided in September 2003 that the Giants slugger received alleged steroid substances, as did Valente's boss, lab founder Victor Conte."

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I am getting totally sick of the steroids crap. Maybe it makes football more interesting, but I long to return to the day when 40 HRs was an astonishing accomplishment and a 4 ERA was blech.

11. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

I wonder if we'll ever find out the truth. I'll believe him until he is proven a liar or admits it himself, but I'll say this isn't looking good for him, those who stuck up for him or for the game in general.

I just hope it's not true.

12. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    What Happened to our Roids Thread?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/

"Jason Giambi injected himself with human growth hormone in the 2003 season and also used steroids for at least three seasons, according to a Wedesday report on the San Francisco Chronicle's web site. The newspaper reviewed Giambi's grand jury testimony from last year."

Think how pissed the Yankees must be. They've now got a below average hitter who used steroids to fool them into offerring him a contract for a superstar, and he's locked up long term. They should force him to continue using, health be damned. "We signed Steroid Giambi!"

Seriously, I'd consider allowing them to void his contract. Complete false pretenses.

I really wanted to read the part about how Big Mac got him hooked in the first place. That's for a later story, I guess.

13. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Re: What Happened to our Roids Thread?

If any of you are surprised by this, I've got a clue here that I can beat you over the head with.

14. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH

You wouldn't believe the number of Giants fans on here who still believe Bonds is just being picked on because he's so good...

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

:D

As I predicted on the old steroids thread the players' testimonies would start to come out and tah dah!

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

No, he's picked on because he doesn't play a media game and comes across as a dickhead. Not because "he's so good".

I'd also like to point out how not one person (that I saw) has said a single thing about how he was MVP this year (for the seventh freaking time), but it took less than 12 hours for the Giambi story to go public before Bonds' name is mentioned in a steroid thread.

17. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Steroid threads merged, re-titled.

18. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

For anyone who cares, here's the front page article from today's San Francisco Chronicle (this is the paper that broke the BALCO story, and the journalists have been on this case the whole time):

Giambi admitted taking steroids by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams

19. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

Cute, but untrue. Last count, there are two regular G's fans on this board (well, 1.5 actually because I'm more of an A's fan). And I never once defended Bonds or tried to imply that he's either "picked on" or "innocent." I even went back and searched just to make sure I didn't defend Bonds, in case I posted when I was on acid or something.

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Have you even read a transcript of what Giambi said? If you did you would know that he said:

So I started to ask him (Anderson; Bonds' "trainer"): 'Hey, what are the things you're doing with Barry? He's an incredible player. I want to still be able to work out at that age and keep playing,' and that's how the conversation first started.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1936592

21. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    All of the players so far that we've talked about (Sheffield, Camminiti, Giambi) have been plagued by freak-ass injuries (something long-term steroid use does) in the recent past...why not Bonds?? Why is he in absolutely fantastic shape?? His only real problem has been bad knees, which at the age of 40 is hardly indictive of steroids.

If Bonds has been taking them this long and still is (or even just stopped in the last year or so)...he'd be having injuries and lots of them, no doubt about it - end of discussion. But he's not. So, he maybe he stopped taking them?? Then why hasn't his size decreased?? It hasn't at all, but Giambi and Sheffield's has, no?? Bonds has maintained his weight and appearance for many many years now. He hasn't grown freakishly large overnight(*) and hasn't gotten suddenly smaller. How do you explain that??

EDIT...before you start, check the stats...cause I can't think of one offseason, where he all of a sudden came back tremendously larger than the season before. It's been a gradual process.

22. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    For anyone who's really, really interested in this, one of the SF Chronicle journalists who's been covering this fiasco from the start (Mark Fainaru-Wada) will be on KNBR 680 AM today at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST with Ralph Barbieri and Tom Tolbert.

Those of you who live outside the Bay Area can hear it by going to the KNBR web site and clicking this scary-ass icon:

[​IMG]

23. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'd also like to clarify that I'm not trying to say that Bonds has definitely not done steroids. I just see plenty of reasons to think there's a good chance that he hasn't (or at least not to the degree that people think, not that any degree is acceptable).

I also find it a bit disturbing that other players that get busted are generally ignored or brushed off or shrugged at like in a "oh well, I guess everyone does" sort of way, while the mere mention of Bonds in this scandal and everyone starts foaming at the mouth (not here necessarily, but anywhere baseball is discussed...Oakland especially :) )

24. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Giambi's admission is front page news nationwide. How is that being ignored or brushed off?
    Giambi had a few good seasons.
    Bonds is redefining greatness in the modern era.
    There are many more asterisks to be placed and history to be fvcked up if evidence surfaces that Bonds used.

25. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    People will forget Giambi's very quickly...he's not that important, and if Bonds' trainer wasn't involved it'd be on page six or the only the front page of the sports section.

I do understand that there's more at stake with Barry, but I'm sure you can admit that are more people, uh, "interested" in Bonds. And I don't believe there are many people hoping he's innocent.