The state of Hungarian soccer...

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by goindownsouth, Jun 19, 2006.

1. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know this has been addressed, in part, in other threads, but I thinkt his deserves a thread of its own, and I am curious to hear what others have to say...

Being married to a Hungarian woman, I am lucky, because she and her parents, who live here in the USA, are proud of their heritage. I hear stories from her father of the proud Hungarian soccer teams of the 1950s, and on and on...

Needless to say, the Magyars have not sniffed the sweet smell of World Cup action since 1986, I believe.

What went wrong? Are their youth teams doing well? Is there young talent in the wings giving hope to qualifying for the 2010 World Cup?

I hear nothing about Hungarian league action... Is it just not popular there anymore?

2. zmse

zmse New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Hungary
    you have to wait 8 days for the answer : )
    (about league - 6 teams entry wasn't accepted to the first league, they have 8 days to react)

3. budaig

budaig New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Hello!

I'm from Hungary and this is a good opportunity to learn English (sorry about my mistakes) and chat about my favourite hobby.
    I'm very sad because Hungarian football is not too popular in abroad, just some person talk about this topic. For examle, this is the first international forum where I can find a 'Hungarian' topic.

So, 2008?
    - Our group is very easy. I think Norway have the best chance, but Turkey and Greece are also able to reach the 1st position. I don't think that Bosnia or Moldova can finish on the 1st-2nd places. In Hungary, the trainers and supporters think that the 3th place wouldn't be a bad result. In spite of this general opinion, I hope we can go to the Euro2008.

2010?
    - This is not too important in our country. We concentrate to Euro2008 and Euro2012, because we would like to host the competition. I think we won't be as lucky as now at the draw, so we will get strong teams and there will be no chance.

4. fradi

fradi New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    hallo budaig welcome
    Where in hungary are you?
    I'm from long island new york (sziget lakok) as yous ee we can speak in both languages to each other.
    1/2 amerikai magyar vagyok Az apam magyar az anyam amerikai De, nem tokeletes de, kicsi tudsz magyarul
    Na, hogy vagy budaig? udvozjuk a forumban
    Udv. Sanyi amerikatol

5. budaig

budaig New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Hello Sanyi!

I'm from a little village (Dömsöd) next to the River Danube, an hour from Budapest.

Nagyon szép, hogy megtanultad a magyar nyelvet, a legtöbb kivándorló magyar ugyanis már nem adja tovább az őt követő generációknak.

I know that soccer is not too popular in the USA. Do you like European football? And can you watch the matches of the Hungarian National Team or our club teams? And have you ever been to Europe or Hungary?

Egyébként meg köszönöm a szíves fogadtatást. Minden jót!

6. fradi

fradi New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Itt vagyok megiint! Szevasz
    I can watch the epl, bundesliga, serie A and ligue 1 the french league.
    Sajnos ma kikapott az en orszagom vb-n es mindeki jon haza. Magyar meccsek sajnos nem lehet nezni amerikaban de, a magyar valogatott neha az interneten petofi radioban.
    En sokszor voltam magyarorszagban. (8ban voltam 3honapot es 2 ev elott az is 3 honapot maradtam pesten.Voltam a puskas ferenc stadionban mikor Magyarorszag- svedorszag eb selejtezo 2004ben de, sajnos kikapott a magyarok. azt hiszem 2-1re.
    Tudod hol 7ik kerulet pesten Betlen Gabor u.?
    Yes, soccer/football isn't popular here but, it's growing, i don't know why Hungary didn't play the usa in a friendly when they were here last december just before chrismas. Do you know why?
    Why is the w.c. on RTL KLUB? I thought in 2002 it was on duna tv.
    Na, csao Sanyi

7. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nem igaz :D

Nem kel megkoszonni a fogadtatast! Orulunk hogy it vagy - akkor is ha mar ugy is ismerlek az xtratime forumbol. :)

8. Bentex

Bentex Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Nottingham, UK
    Nem Igaz ;) all the Americans on xtratime watch the games.

because they offered more money than anyone else.

9. LA_Magyar_LA

LA_Magyar_LA New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OMG, whats up fellow Hungarians!!?? Mi van pajtasok?

I've been looking for a forum to speak w/ fellow Hungarians for a long time. Although I did find a big group on MySpace they are a bunch of jackasses and half of them dont actually speak Magyar or have never even been. Looks like a good group.

I'm really anxious to learn about Hungarian club soccer, all I know is Ferencvaros and Szekesfehervar. Fradidruker hahahaha.

10. stardog87

stardog87 New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    NJ, USA
    Hey,

Im second generation here in the States, Ive 'adopted' Hungary as my other national squad (The dissapointing US as my first). However, I find it quite hard to follow Hungarian club football on the internet...any good sites?

As I see it, I think it would be very difficult for Hungary to really put up a good showing in '08, even in a what I consider an average grouping. Ive read the youth squads are doing reasonably well, but how well do you think that will translate in the future?

As far as the national club goes, is it really just Gera and then everyone else?

11. sanyi

sanyi Member

Aug 9, 2003
    KÜLFÖLD
    best sides to follow hungarian football are
    http://www.xtratime.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186
    www.nb1.hu
    www.nemzetisport.hu
    www.foci24.com
    www.bentex.tv

regards,

sanyi

12. Bentex

Bentex Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Nottingham, UK

Here is a huge list.

Hungarian Football links (In English)

13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Many people may find this story odd but I've always felt a special affection to the Hungary NT because of my dad.
    During the 50s and 60s it was not uncommon for Eastern European clubs/NTs to travel for tours (pre-season, etc..) to South America, and that is how my dad's uncle got in touch with the team.
    Back then (I don't know about now) I suppose German was taught at a mandatory level in Hungary, and since everyone in my family speaks (and spoke German--we have all gone to this German school in my home country) the team went for a tour of the city--Vina del Mar--and they needed a translator. I suppose none proficient in Hungarian was available, but there is quite a number of German speakers, and my dad's uncle was able to take them around the city and whatnot. My dad got to meet the team, and they even signed his '62 WC book, which is a very prized possession of ours.
    I have always tried to follow the NT as closely as possible, and even some club teams when they get into European comps.
    I suppose how nice it felt to meet such a great team (during that time) for my dad is something that has been passed on to me.
    Metro

14. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    I think the Hungarian national team is on the up and up...

A couple of years ago the national side was in tatters but now as of late they've been getting better. Under Lotther Mattheus they were playing much, much better, but Mattheus recently went so Salzburg so I wonder who the new national coach is...

I know that last year Debrecen went to the champions league last season and beat Hajduk Split, the Croatian champions 8-0 on aggregate. In the third qualifying round they lost to Manchester United 3-0 on aggregate if I remember correctly...

I hope Hungarian football improves, as I'm from Serbia myself and I'm hoping that my hometown club of Red Star Belgrade also improves as well....

15. MagyarGyerek

MagyarGyerek New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    First of all, you are lucky to be married to a Hungarian woman. They are the most beautiful in the world! The storys you heard about the 50's and 60's were true, we were undefeated for about 4 years. We were the first team to beat England on their home soil.. everyone was shocked because of the pure talent we had and the fashion that we beat them in. and when they came to Budapest a year after, they lost by about the same margin, (6-3) I think. Lately, Hungarian football has been improving, from what I have seen. We have a few stars rising, Gera Zoltan and Dardai Pal are a couple of examples. Unfortunately in October of 1956 there was a revolution against the Soviet Union and the communists, and during this period the Hungarian team was on tour, and were not let back in the country. Most of our stars started new careers abroad. But as I stated before, we have been improving. We have a new coach, and hopefully we can do well in the euro 2008, and get the euro 2012 joint with Croatia. This will be a very big boost in the right direction for us right now. We have had many close matches with very big names in soccer lately, such as Argentina, Mexico, England, Greece, and Sweden. We are always in the matches, but always seem in the end to come short. Maybe this new coach will help us be in the games for the whole game, and come out victorious. I do believe Hungary has a good chance of coming top 2 in our group for qualifying for the euro 2008. For our domestic league, the NB1, it will be much different this year. Ferencvaros, for the first time in the history of the NB1, will not be in it. This personally to me is very sad because I was born in the IX K. of Budapest, which is Ferencvaros. Debrecen is a very strong team though, and hopefully can do well in the champions league, and it looks like Videoton is our only hope in the uefa cup, seeing Ujpest lost 4-0 in Budapest in the first match. I feel Hungarian football is improving, We will see how we do against Austria on August 16th in a friendly if we have improved or not.

16. Nemeth Aron

Nemeth Aron New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Hello all...as people others on here I too grew up hearing about legendary Hungarian of the 50s...Puskas, Hidegkuti, Kocsis, Czibor etc..Anyway, I have two questions after the disappointing Euro qualifiers...

1. When do the World Cup qualifiers start? When the US played Brazil, Kaka said they were starting for Brazil in about a month.

2. Living in the US I don't get to see the games. Does anyone know of a Hungarian bar or something in NYC or NJ where I can go to watch them?

thanks..

17. VHZD

VHZD Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Győr, Hungary
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Hi all! I've just found this thread, and I'm happy that many people from outside Hungary follows our NT.

The draw for the qualifiers will be tomorrow. But now the most importatn question is, that will Péter Várhidi remain the coach of the NT. I hope he will becouse he is buiding a young and talented squad. And if dont get a group of death we could have a chance to qualify!

18. Wappy

Wappy Member

Jun 18, 2007
    HK
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hungary have lost to Moldova and Latvia in the last few games but I think it's acceptable... the current Hungarian team is still very inconsistent and capable of pulling embarrassing results...

anyway I am encouraged that the team has also produced some solid results:
    3-1 over Italy is a definite highlight and they were VERY VERY unfortunate to lose to Turkey.
    so, I would say Varhidi has made a pretty good start as a coach
    as he seemed able to utilize the talents in the squad
    The main problem with Hungary is their lack of good coaches. If Varhidi can continue leading the team like before, I feel optimistic for Hungary's future. After all, Hungary still produces fine footballers these days:
    Gera, Huszti, Priskin, Hajnal, Dardai, Fulop etc.

19. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    There's just loads of problems related to Hungarian soccer today compared to the "Golden Team" of the 1950's. So, I prefer not making comparisons.

If you look at Hungary today, it competes with countries of comparable size.

For some reason Hungary just doesn't seem to get a break from UEFA. For example, Hungary had a bid with Austria for Euro2004, but it was rejected. This would have been a good cash infusion and forced the government to upgrade stadia. Instead, now in 2008, Hungary's bid partner for 2004 (Austria) will host with Switzerland. Why is that acceptable and Hungary/Austria, not? Ask UEFA.

A positive step forward is the number of talented young Hungarians playing abroad. As mentioned above, Hungary has a solid corp of quality young players.

I would like to see the Hungarian FA go on a serious raiding mission of Romania, the Ukraine, Slovakia, and the Balkans. Undoubtedly, there are quality ethnic Hungarians playing for these countries. At all costs and as a matter of national pride, these players should be brought back into the fold. This will undoubtedly raise the hackles of the true Hungarians who still live in Hungary, but I think it is the most peaceful, yet effective methods to raise the world's consciousness to the fact that Hungary is still, the only country that lost over half of its land mass and people after WWI.

I know, I need to get over it and move on.

20. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Friendly NT matches on FIFA match dates in February and March ?

21. Bentex

Bentex Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Nottingham, UK
    Undoubtedly? I can't name one. So who are these quality players you talk about?

22. DGags

DGags Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Thread City, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am, like most Hungarian-Americans are, incredibly proud of my heritage. So it pains me to see the country that basically invented modern soccer in such a terrible low. I read somewhere that mass corruption in the Hungarian soccer association is somewhat to blame for the current problems. Is that fixed? It's also kind of embarrassing that the National Stadium is such a dump. I read that the upper deck isn't in a good enough shape to be used. How come it isn't fixed or a new stadium built? I know Hungary's economy came into question last year when it turned out the President lied. Is Hungary poor?

23. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  24. Adil ADOUI

Adil ADOUI New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    hello everybody.. i'm a french player, i just want to tell u that i loved budapest, people and everithing there! i had a test with a magyar team (honved).. i really wanted to stay there, but there's not enough money.. i think its just the problem in the hugarian football, because there are good players and well equipement..

ADOUI Adil

25. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hello, I'm French too and I have to say that there are common things between French and Magyar soccer: we're both sore loosers !

I've calculated that the Hungarian teams played 6 finals of European Cups and lost 5 of them ! Only one country has the same statistics in Europe: France ! We won 2 European Cups and lost... 11 finals ! Gasp !

Fortunately we finally managed to win the World Cup, but after the 80's we never could think about that as a possibility and dear am I happy.

The '54 final was unfair for soccer and for you.

Life is unfair. *POW !*