The St George's Park National Football Centre thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 18, 2010.

1. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    If money that large is being offered then it should go to a more high profile candidate, but I doubt it will.

It makes you wonder what Pearce earns at the FA these days...

2. rubinkazan

rubinkazan Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Just looked about this centre on youtube and the first thing I noticed was the the size of all the training pitches, they are all full size. No other credible European nation still trains it's youth on full size pitches, except us. Maybe they should rename this 'hoofball and run training centre', because I think the FA have got it all wrong, as usual.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Is this a wind up?

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    looks nice! not many small pitches though?!

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This place is not intended for kids, it's for coaches and the youth squads up to seniors.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    still see youth sized pitches at top club academies and small sided games are still useful in training

8. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i wonder if he has been offered a management job?

10. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I'd be surprised if he does return to management so soon. He will continue as an ITV pundit though. Now he is out of the running to be the new Technical Director it certainly makes you wonder who the FA will appoint.

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    All that crap from Brooking about how important that role was and Southgate was just doing a part time job covering for Brooking and now he leaves.

12. dwanyewest

dwanyewest Guest

Jun 29, 2005
  13. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    When Hodgson was still manager at WBA he recommended Ashworth to be a candidate during a press conference.

There is this article that was released yesterday in the Independant regarding Southgate's departure and the Technical Director position:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...avoid-joining-the-blazer-brigade-7962451.html

It's interesting what's said at the end of the article by the supposed FA insider regarding the TD position - "not as many people want it as you might think".

14. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2012/09/04/dan-ashworth’s-fa-future-hit-by-doubt/

Appears to be another bad move by Brooking & co.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't even get his excuse for not wanting someone now. They wanted Southgate who had limited experience in the role anyway and when he says he's not ready they scrap it? :eek:

Makes no sense from start to finish.

16. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Exactly, as soon as soon as Southgate leaves the FA for some reason there is no longer any need for a Technical Director. It's completly farcical to not have a real TD for a centre like St. George's Park, this just makes us look a bit amateurish.

I think Brooking just wants to have as much control as possible. It's a shame because St. George's Park needs to have the best personnel availible. Ashworth would be a great TD for this new Centre.

17. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...club-to-take-up-a-key-new-role-at-the-FA.html

18. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...le-overseeing-future-of-English-football.html

Shame it is going to take until next season for his appointment. It's nice to he has sought guarantees on the definiton of his role and the overall control he will have.

19. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/...ball/rss+(Football)&utm_content=Google+Reader

thebigman repped this.
  20. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    http://www.thefa.com/News/2012/sep/dan-ashworth-appointed.aspx

thebigman repped this.
  21. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ashworth looks a great choice, young English and good experience in a similar role.

Sign of Hodgson having more influence than Brooking? That would be a welcome thing, long past time for 'Sir' Trev to get the boot.

22. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Hodgson tipped Ashworth for the job when he was managing WBA so it wouldn't surprise me if Hodgson had some input into his appointment. He is clearly the best English option around, it's just a shame he can't get started straight away.

23. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
  24. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    5live are doing a show from St George's Park (Monday) tommorow.

7-9 pm, British time.

zXen repped this.
  25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah just came across it, so popped in to alert folks.

Well done!