The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Feels like there should be some great anagram of his name, but the best I can do is JAM AND NUT AURA.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Showing my ignorance once again, but why is there so much effort to sign Porro? Is he that good? Does he fill a glaring need? Hugo and the back three are gaffe machines and/or yellow card magnets. Perisic is past his sell-by date, Ryan doesn’t look like he’ll make it to his. There’s almost no creativity in the middle of the park. Harry has 16 goals league goals, Son, Hojbjerg, Bentancour, Davies and Kulusevski also have 16.

Emerson/Doherty aren’t the least area of concern, but they’re not the most either. I have such a surface level understanding, but to me there’s just nothing in the middle of the park to open up an opponents defense and no one this season except Kane is capable of creating and finishing scoring opportunities by themselves.

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    You can see why Conte is in no rush to sign an extension.

Porro was a player Conte wanted in the summer, but instead of signing him, Levy went in for Spence, who will never play for us as long as Conte is the manager. He also wanted a play-making midfielder, so far crickets on that one.

And it gets even better. We get 40% of the sell-on price for Marcus Edwards and the Guardian is reporting that Levy is offering to drop that percentage if Sporting lower Porro's fee. So Levy has spent 20 million quid on a player that will probably go out on loan, will pay another big chunk to get a player he could have got in the summer AND will reduce the sell-on fee we get when Sporting offload Edwards.

And so I always laugh when people say: 'Well, he might not be that good on the football side, but at least Levy is a good businessman'. I guess you can afford to make these kinds of gaffes when you are making 6 million pound a year and own 29% of the club.

4. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Speaking of anagrams, the undisputed Spurs king is Bentancur, with options such as

REBOUNDING CARROT
    BURNING DECORATOR
    ACTON-BORN RUDIGER
    A BROODING CURRENT
    NORTON ACID BURGER

I'm in my own little world, here. Transfer window? What?

Golara and jumhed repped this.
  5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Yes, there are only so many Nicola Zaniolo links one can take for 30 days.

Phillyspur repped this.
  6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Have you ever thought about macrame? Or stamp collecting?

7. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have, and they would sure beat following Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. As a literary man, pook, I thought you would be interested. But instead you sound like an ANGRY LIB or a CORNISH LIAR. The kind of guy who HURLS IGLOO or GREASES SONNY or EVADES BIN or like JUNKIE DAVE, SULKS.

8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As I'm sure we've all seen, Danjuma is official, loan with option to buy. Porro seems very very close but it seems that Sporting want him to stay for a cup final this Saturday.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    With our luck, he will pull a groin in the 94th minute with Sporting 4-0 up.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hey now! I've never hurled igloo in all my considerable days.

... as to greasing Sonny, the less said the better.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Looks like Levy is blowing another transfer, Porro deal suddenly in doubt. With Levy involved, somehow I'm not surprised.

Meanwhile Gil to go to Sevilla on loan. So we have basically paid Sevilla 21 million pounds for Gil and Lamela to play for them. More examples of what a great businessman Levy is.

Djed Spence has also been given the green light to go on loan. Another 20 million pound player going out on loan.

Here's an interesting thought: why not take that money and buy a player we need or that the manager will play?

12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think the Porro deal will go through. Sporting know we are desperate so they are extorting us for...something. I thought if the amount of the release clause was paid, a team must sell the player. Otherwise, why is it called a release clause? I guess there's more to it than that. Should have just paid the money when the window opened, then moved on to another deal. Leaving it to the last minute leaves the club open to these types of shenanigans.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The release clause expired in the last 12 days of the window. So we could have done the deal a month ago for the same money we are haggling over now and had the player in our team from the start of the month.

Liverpool had Gakpo done and dusted and in their team for the past few weeks.

Arsenal got Trossard and he has already played for them twice.

This is why Levy has to go.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    In FA Cup news, we get the winner of Sheffield Utd-Wrexham away in the 5th round.

None of the big hitters got drawn against each other:

Southampton v Luton or Grimsby

Leicester City v Blackburn or Birmingham

Stoke City v Brighton

Fulham or Sunderland v Leeds United

Bristol City v Manchester City

Manchester United v Derby or West Ham

Ipswich or Burnley v Sheffield Wednesday or Fleetwood Town

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Pigs' 95th minute equalizer at Wrexham cost us a much easier route to the quarters. United will piss the replay.

We should still manage, of course. And the atmosphere at The (other) Lane will be pretty good. One I wouldn't mind being at (in the Spurs end, of course), for sure.

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well that makes sense - can't have somebody come in and make your player disappear at the last minute. It's amazing how Levy will put so much energy into trying to shave a couple million off a fee here, while at other times he will spend crazy money on somebody like Ndombele, a guy who never seemed like he wanted to play for Spurs.

17. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Gil's gone on loan to Sevilla

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Sky is reporting that the Porro deal is all but done (where have we heard that one before), with Levy agreeing to shave off 15% of the 40% sell-on fee we have for Marcus Edwards.

Again, baffling stuff from our chairman, who could have triggered the release clause at the beginning of the month without giving up anything on Edwards and had the player available for our January fixtures. Btw, Manchester City get 30% of the Porro sale if I don't miss my guess.

Gil loaned to Sevilla with no option to buy.

Spence in Rennes for a medical prior to his loan move to France, no option to buy.

So we now have Rodon, Spence and Gil out on loan. Levy has paid a combined £45 million for the trio to basically play for other clubs. It just shows how inept our chairman is in the transfer market. That kind of money could have been used to purchase a ready-made player in a position we need.

19. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Doherty to Atletico Madrid on loan, apparently

20. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    They're quality, promising players who aren't playing for rivals. Chelsemen have spent the last 15 years hoovering up quality young players and loaning them out.
    I'm not a massive fan of Levy but I don't find fault with everything he does. Sometimes it's just good business sense happening way above my understanding of business.

21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Bit of a surprise that anyone wanted Doherty, but I'm glad Royal is the RWB who is staying. Hopefully Gil will continue to bulk up so he can play in the EPL. With Porro, I think the club have addressed the most glaring need, and Danjuma could turn out to be another good pickup. OK for a January window, I guess. Still need a GK and a couple of CBs this summer, and need to offload the expensive players who are out on loan now.

22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What is it with Simeone and our full-backs? A little surprised to see both him and Spence let go. Conte obviously feels Porro + Royal covers it.

Doherty is 31 and hasn't been the same since his brushes with Covid and Matty Cash. When Royal was public enemy #1, I think Doherty was over rated a bit: he's had his chances.

Apparently Spence will be getting regular playing time due to some injuries at Rennes. Which will be a good thing for him.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I'd say an upgrade: [​IMG]

24. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Spurs have terminated Doherty's contract and let him leave on a free. Gosh.

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC