The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bale has rejoined the 'Left Spurs and won a trophy' club.

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    That's old news, the lad did win a few pots at Real...

3. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I find all these injuries very strange

Are they prioritizing the World Cup or do they not like Conte's work (he seems to be a tough guy to get along with every day)?

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Romero and Richarlisson have definitely checked out for the WC, but the break is coming at the right time for us. Hopefully, we will have our best XI back for the major part of the season.

5. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think playing 3 games a week is kicking everyone's backside and many are making executive decisions, which is fair enough.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The manager has not rotated enough.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It's official, Dier and Kane in the England squad. Dier should consider himself a very lucky boy to be on that plane.

8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stones is the only English CB I have any faith in.

Glad that Maddison got in.

jumhed repped this.
  9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Here are our players heading to the WC:

Dier, Kane (England), Davies (Wales), Romero (Argentina), Perisic (Croatia), Hjobjerg (Denmark), Richarlisson (Brazil), Son (Korea). Lloris (France) and Bentancur (Uruguay) should be confirmed soon.

Pretty well most of our starting XI, representing 9 countries. Not great news as most of these have already been run into the ground by Conte's reluctance to rotate. The silver lining is only 4 of these countries can get to the last 4 of the tournament, so the majority of them will be back well before the PL resumes on Boxing Day. And I don't see countries like England, Wales and Korea going very far.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Was thinking the same thing - although Coady has played well for Everton - I would take him over Dier and Sanchez in our side.

11. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also Sarr for Senegal and from the loanees, Rodon for Wales. Lo Celso would have gone but for injury.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Those will probably be the only games Sarr plays this season. After this season, I would be shocked if any young player signs with us.

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Apparently some of our players not going to the WC will still have to play for their country in meaningless friendlies. Madness! Let the guys have a break!

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  15. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phillyspur and Golara repped this.
  16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    One of the last of the old-school mazy wingers.

17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My favourite Lennon moment was the flying, outside-of-the-boot pass back to Tainio, for the second goal in the 4-3 classic over West Ham in 2007.

Golara repped this.
  18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He ran like a fairy.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #1344 pookspur, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Just kidding, of course. I mean, he did, but it's hardly what he's best remembered for. In addition to the aforementioned brilliant assist to Tainio, I'll mention two other moments that leap to mind:

1) breaking into the clear at the San Siro before squaring it to Crouchy for the winner v Milan, and

2) my deffo favorite Lennon moment (and one of my favorite Spurs moments ever), the instant that he controlled Keano's cross v Chelsea, before putting it onto his left foot, and firing into the (in)side netting for what would be the first game-winning League goal against Chelsea in about a zillion years. There was a collective gasp throughout the ground, and everyone seemed to hold his breath until the net rippled ... then the place exploded.

Best.
    Atmosphere.
    Ever.

Edit: ooh! Honorable mention for his last second equalizer in the 4-4 NLD thriller at the Emirates. I made a bit of a spectacle of myself at the pub when that one went in.

electrickeeper repped this.
  20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I can remember him scoring a nice breakaway goal vs Woolwich at WHL in a 2-1 win in 2013.

Wouldn't prime Lennon be a nice right wingback in the Conte system?

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm pretty sure he got one (the 3rd or 4th) in the legendary 5-1 League Cup semifinal, too. So that's at least three ... I wonder how many he got v them. I can't recall any others, but I hadn't realized he had three until this thread.

I knew that Jenas had a few (at least four) against them, but I guess Lennon got his share, too.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Oh yes, that was the 4-0 goal in that LC semi-final.

In the 4-4 at the New Library, Jenas scored a lovely goal with his left foot for 4-3 (and what looked like a consolation as the game went into stoppage time), before Lennon got that crazy equalizer.

Jenas also scored a last-second equalizer against them at WHL in 2007 if memory serves.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Jenas got the opener in the 5-1 semi, and I'm pretty sure he got our goal in the 1-1 first leg at theirs. We absolutely battered them in the first leg ... when they got the late equalizer I was seriously wondering if I'd ever see us beat them again in my lifetime.

Golara repped this.
  24. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Here's all his Spurs goals;

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    He had a real knack for scoring late goals.