The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If Jose isn't going to use him, may as well move him out. I would rather have him stay and play for us, though.

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    How Winks gets in the team ahead of him is beyond me. I still don't know what qualities Winks brings to the team besides giving the ball away.

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    This is the problem with Jose: he has a blind spot with talented players. How many teams in the PL would bite your hand off to put Bale and Dele in their XI? Jose clearly doesn't fancy either of them. But if you're a donkey that runs up and down your flank, but contribute nothing else, you get into the team.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    With Bale, I think it's fitness. It seemed like he was getting to the point of starting a league match, but then he got hurt in that last Europa match. With Dele, I don't know what the issue is. I think we all agree that if you put in Dele for Winks, putting Sissoko back with Hojbjerg, you would have a more threatening lineup. Two holding midfielders is enough, FFS!

6. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Some more talk of the European super league.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...n-Super-League-idea-World-Cup-ban-threat.html

According to an 18-page proposal document for the Super League, there would be 15 founder members and five other clubs who would qualify on an annual basis.

Split into two group of 10, they would play between 18 and 23 European fixtures a season.

---

Wall Street giant JP Morgan Chase is understood to be in talks to finance the project, with the 15 clubs sharing an initial £3.1bn 'infrastructure grant' with which to make stadium improvements and replace lost revenue caused by Covid-19.

---

As with the current Champions League, matches would be played in midweek and clubs would still participate in their domestic leagues.

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be the death of domestic leagues.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    So if it comes to pass, there would be 2 groups of 10, you would play 18 league fixtures and then I would guess the top 4 from each group would play a knockout tournament (2 legged quarters and semis and then a final).

This would effectively mean the participating teams would have to play weakened sides in the PL and probably their youth teams in the domestic cups. Sadly, we may be watching the last years of football as we know it.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Was just playing with the numbers, if we make the final of the Europa League and FA Cup, we would play a maximum of 66 fixtures in all competitions this season (that is only 6 short of the NBA). If we go out at the next stage of both of those competitions, we will still play 56 fixtures in all comps (the same number as the NHL).

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    NBA plays 82 (not including playoffs), don't they? Or have they shortened it for COVID reasons?

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Yeah, this season will be 72 games.

12. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Rose on his way out. Off to Turkey.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...or-reach-agreement-Spurs-sign-Danny-Rose.html

Turkish outfit Trabzonspor have reportedly reached an agreement with Tottenham to prise Danny Rose from north London, ending the full back's 13-and-a-half-year spell at the club.

The 30-year-old has fallen down the pecking order since Jose Mourinho took the helm in November 2019, making just five appearances in all competitions under the Portuguese coach.

Rose has been left out of the club's Premier League and Europa League squads has spent the majority of the season playing with the development squad.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Kane has done both his ankles. The only surprise is it took this long. Get ready for the "oh woe is me" speeches from the gaffer.

I give even odds he starts the game Sunday with either one of Bale or Vinicius or both on the bench and Gedson in midfield.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We've drawn Dinamo Zagreb in the round of 16 of the Europa League. Whether we'll be home or away first isn't in stone, as Arsenal (who've drawn Olympiakos) was drawn in the same position as Spurs, and one of those ties will likely be switched so we won't have simultaneous home fixtures.

Dinamo currently sit atop the Croatian League table (alongside Osijek) and reached the round of 16 via an aggregate 4-2 win over Russian side Krasnodar. Matches are to take place on 11 and 19 March. It's hardly the most glamorous tie ever, but it's certainly winnable, and given that Jose will surely be prioritizing this competition, if we don't get through to the quarters, it'll be indicative of worse problems than not being in the quarters.

We played these in the UEFA Cup group stage back in 2008. We hammered them 4-0 at the Lane, but their fans definitely brought the atmosphere, as they were up and singing literally the entire match. Unfortunately, fans won't likely play a role in it this time.

Again, not the kind of big tie I usually hope for ... but I'll take it. I'm wanting this trophy, and anything less than the semis will be a major disappointment.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well if we keep getting lucky draws like this, we have a chance. United drew Milan so one of those will be gone by the quarters.

16. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So the order of the tie may be reversed.

This is actually better for us because Arsenal will lose a day of training before the NLD due to travel.

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Highlights from the last time we played Dinamo Zagreb:

It's that stunner from Huddlestone that was posted here a while back. And moreover, a hat trick from Darren Bent. I swear, I do not remember that. I love watching Spurs videos from the Jol era (and Ramos' before it all went pear-shaped)*. Good times.

*edit: er ... and Redknapp. Fall of '08, I was thinking this was Ramos. Silly that, though, thinking we might have won a game under Ramos in the Fall of '08. Actually, I've just looked it up, and the only game we won was the first leg of the UEFA Cup qualifying tie v Wisla Krakow. We beat them 2-1 at ours, then snuck through with a 1-1 draw in Poland. It actually took an own-goal from them to see us though to the group stage. We then lost our first group stage game to Udinese. Ramos was sacked a week or two before Dinamo.

18. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Modric derby. Crikey, I hope their defensive marking has not gotten any better. Spotted a young Bale on some of those goal celebrations.

Incidentally, without fans, why the need to keep us and Arsenal from playing at home at the same time?

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I was wondering the same. And I'm pretty sure that pubs (and everything else) are closed down. There's really nowhere to find trouble, even if you wanted some.

20. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Sorry nobody to recommend for Spurs to buy from Dinamo this time around. Nobody on Modric or Kovacic level in this Dinamo team playing in midfield. There best young player Gvardiol a defender sold to Redbull Salzburg for about 20 million euros. Petkovic is good as well but Spurs have Kane so no need there. I would give Dinamo about 20 percent chance of advancing.

Phillyspur and pookspur repped this.
  21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hey up, cromagnum. Good luck (by which I mean I hope your lads play well enough, but for the love of Mike, don't win it) in the tie. Feel free to tell us anything worth knowing about Dinamo, i.e., how do they play?, who to look out for, etc.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Didn't Biscan end up at Liverpool?

23. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    He did but had a disappointing career.

24. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Ye no problem. Dinamo is compact team pretty well organized which will try to play on the counter. There main threat is Orsic as he has good pace decent dribbling and good shot. There game evolves around Petkovic as he holds the ball up well can dribble and has good vision. There is no huge talent but some good players. Ademi is a good holding midfielder plays for Macedonia national team. I’m hoping it will be competitive as Dinamo has played well in Europa but in the end Spurs will most likely advance. The next big talent that’s talked about in Dinamo is Saranic but will see what happens as Halilovic and Coric did not pan out.

25. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    I remember watching Spurs all the time when Modric was there. If only Kane was a bit older with Modric Bale and Kane together maybe they could have won a title. The team that had Modric VDV and Bale was really good but they were missing that main Striker up front. Poch was a really good coach to. Loved how Spurs played with him. Shame he got fired.