The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Kane came on as a 66th minute substitute vs Belgium on Sunday after complaining of muscle tightness in training. It looks like Gary Southgate is planning on starting him against Denmark on Wednesday. I hate both Gary AND Gareth Southgate...

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Amazingly, Kane played the whole game against Denmark tonight and did not look his best. This from the Guardian:

Kane did not look right. He was slow to lead the press, which is unusual, and it spoke to a lack of sharpness. He had struggled to train properly last week because of muscle fatigue in his thigh and there was precious little threat from him. When Southgate made substitutions in the 72nd minute, Kane took the armband off and clearly felt he was about to depart. The manager left him.

Not so amazingly, Harry Maguire got sent off for 2 yellows in the first half and Kyle Ricketts-Walker conceded the decisive penalty, converted by a certain Christian Eriksen.

3. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I kinda agree with Mourinho here. Southgate came across as an ass in his prematch interview! Kane clearly wasn't fit and ready to go. Kane shouldn't have played the last game.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/england...onds-to-mourinho-we-wont-take-risks-with-kane

Kane was restricted to a 24-minute cameo in Sunday's 2-1 win over Belgium after suffering with what Southgate described as "muscle fatigue."

However, Southgate sought to dampen rumours Mourinho had been in touch to express his concerns about Kane being asked to play while his fitness was an issue in his prematch news conference on Tuesday evening.

"I don't really understand the story because he's been fully fit since the end of last week, just before the last game," explained the England manager.

"He would have started the last game but hadn't had enough training time really. He was obviously fine during the game so he's fit, available."

"I didn't really understand the stories that were being run so where that's been coming from... it is certainly not the conversations we've been having with Spurs medically. And it is not something that is really affecting us in the camp.

"He hasn't had an injury. He was feeling muscle soreness which can happen to athletes but there was no injury at any point."

"We don't risk players. I've said this before the camp last week. I've been a player. My priority is always the welfare of players. We would never risk a player. We've ended up on very rare occasions with a couple of injuries during matches. That's pretty much unavoidable."

"But we've never lost a player through an error in terms of our training loading and we pride ourselves on looking after the players."

"We want them fit, we want them as sharp as possible for the games. Our issue with Harry before Sunday's game was to perform at the highest level. Now he's got an additional couple of days' training, it is not even an issue."

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    So it seems like we crossed off everything on our wish list for this transfer window. (For me, that would be everything plus Bale, because he was not on my list as I didn't think it was even possible.)

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Yes, I think the best ever transfer window for Levy: I had said he had to step up his game and he certainly did this time around.

soccernutter and Deep Pal repped this.
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Rodon will not be eligible to feature against West Ham and will not be eligible for our Europa League group games.

8. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #1059 pookspur, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    As best I can tell, that is the first Reto Ziegler reference on this forum since 5 Nov, 2011.

We have had (not including this one) five Willem Korsten and two Phil Ifil references since then.

... this is a game I dare not play further. I'm walking away ...

soccernutter and electrickeeper repped this.
  10. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if he managed to play something that looked like defense, that streak would've continued!

11. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    electrickeeper repped this.
  12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice little interview from Kane.

14. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    One of my favourite Ray Clemence memories was our 1-0 win away to Liverpool in 1985, our first win at Anfield in 73 years! Ray of course was also a Liverpool legend, but on this famous day he backstopped us to victory.

pookspur repped this.
  17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Matt Doherty tested positive for COVID on international duty for Ireland, after playing against Wales, with our Gareth Bale and Ben Davies in the Wales team. Fortunately, none of the Welsh have tested positive. Doherty happily is only experiencing mild symptoms. Looks like Serge Aurier is going to be brought out of cold storage...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...oncern-after-facing-republic-of-ireland-wales

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We have drawn Marine FC away in the third round of the FA Cup.

Marine FC are located in Crosby, which is just north of Liverpool on Merseyside. They are currently 9th in the Northern Premier League Division One North West, which is said to be the 8th tier of English football. I will not make any exceedingly bold predictions, but I do hope that Jose doesn't set us up quite so defensively for this one.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    He might re-sign Vertonghen to bring him on in the 93rd minute when we are nursing a 1-0 lead...

mekarshalev repped this.
  21. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, Marine knocked Colchester (yes, the same) out of the FA Cup in the previous round.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Six across the back it is, then.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So ... if I've got this right, our oppenents in the next round of the Europa League will be one of the following:

Molde
    Slavia Prague
    Benfica
    Granada
    Real Sociedad
    Braga
    Lille
    Maccabi Tel Aviv
    Wolfsberger AC
    Red Star Belgrade
    Krasnodar
    RB Salzburg
    Olympiacos
    Dynamo Kyiv

Benfica would be the most glamorous tie available, I suppose, but without fans, I'm not sure if that matters as much. I'm usually all about the glory ties in Europe, but I won't be too disappointed if we get an easier draw, in this round anyway. Not that what I want means anything, in the end. Draw is on Monday.

electrickeeper repped this.
  24. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    braga, granada or even benfica would be nice - closer, warmer, easier...

25. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the knockout reverting back to two legs? Or is it still a single match?