The Spurs News Wire

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, May 18, 2010.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting this here because Spurs wear Nike:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/06/08...es-to-supply-iranian-players-with-cleats.html

A week away from the first games of the World Cup and geopolitical tensions are making their way into the event.

American sportswear brand Nike said they would not provide cleats to the Iranian National team this year.

I don't like Nike as is, but this takes it to a different level. IMO, I think we should move to get Spurs to change kit suppliers.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  3. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bunji played for us in the wrong era. Elegant ball playing centre back able to play in midfield, he'd do well in the modern "play out from the back" style.

RIP Bunji.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    RIP Alan Gilzean

the bad news keeps coming. legendary striker alan gilzean has passed after having been diagnosed with a brain tumor just a few weeks ago. Spurs from '64-'74, he was certainly a bit overshadowed by Jimmy Greaves during the first half of his time with the club; and then maybe a little bit by Martin Chivers afterwards. Still, 133 goals for Spurs makes him the 9th highest scorer in the history of THFC.
    a great player from a great time for Spurs. RIP

5. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some of my earliest fuzzy Spurs memories are of watching Gilly. Such a distinctive figure, tall with his balding pate, he was unmistakable. It feels like a little bit of my childhood is gone.

Later I learned he was an intensely private man, and for a while the club could not even track him down. He was Neil Armstrong to Chiv's Buzz Aldrin. Only added to the mystique. RIP Gilly.

6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Today in Spurs news... re-ups for Lamela (2022) and Son (2023) :)

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not to mention... :sick:

[​IMG]

What's interesting to me is the official shop has 'Europe shorts' which are plain white, as is traditional for us, but these shirts are going to look stupid over white shorts...

And the second kit is basically a Barca training kit. Nice. :mad:

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't care if Vorm concedes five against United, Poch has to do the right thing here and suspend him.

BalanceUT and soccernutter repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs legend... um...wait... looking at the record books... one season player Clint Dempsey, announces his retirement from soccer after 15 years as a pro. He played in MLS and EPL, starting in New England (3 years), then to Fulham (5 years) and Tottenham (1 year), before returning for 6 years at Seattle. He was a major star for the US National Team, scoring 57 goals with 141 caps, including 4 goals in 3 World Cups. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...psey-announces-retirement-professional-soccer

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw that and thought "Dempsey played for Spurs?"

13. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    onamah loaned out

Sheffield Wednesday have signed Tottenham midfielder Josh Onomah, 21, on loan for the rest of the season.

14. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still a mod here...crikey.

BalanceUT repped this.
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    holy hell, keeper. welcome back.

how's life been treating you?

BalanceUT and electrickeeper repped this.
  16. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't complain.

Unless we're talking about Levy's lack of investment int squad.

[emoji16]

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    developments in C-bus got you back on the boards today, perhaps?

18. electrickeeper

Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, decided to attempt a comeback.

BalanceUT repped this.
  19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  20. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    How old is everyone here? I'm 38, my first experience of Spurs was in the 86-87 season, Glenn Hoddle in full cry - what an absolute legend of a footballer. Youtube compilations don't do him justice, the goals as highlights are wonderful but his ability to run a game off both feet was just extraordinary.

Get better Glenn, keep your ********ed up opinions on disabled people and reincarnation to yourself but this world need its legends. Get well soon GHod!

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm old as hell, so Hoddle wasn't a 'childhood hero' for me - that was Ralph Coates (ok, it was actually Brooks Robinson). At any rate, that '87 team was a great time to come on board with Spurs. A brilliant, brilliant team.

the thing that's weird for me is that, back then, I really couldn't see them much. I would get results and info from the Sunday Times, and a variety of magazines, but I seldom saw them play. And Hoddle had to be seen. Ardiles, too, I suppose. Because even though everyone will acknowledge them as our best players at the time, it was Clive Allen (on the scoresheet every week), Gary Mabbutt (Spurs through and through), and Chris Waddle (who I remember as always looking better for England* [which is where I saw them most]) who I really loved.

Of course, I always knew he was brilliant - everyone always said it. But it wasn't until the YouTube era that I could really have a look, and understand. There's a video somewhere - I'll see if I can find it - that has to be seen. Most Hoddle highlight reels will feature the same (admittedly brilliant) goals and a bit more; but this one was, like, 15-20 minutes of Hoddle just pinging it about - 10 yards, 30 yards, 60 yards - putting it on a dime from anywhere and everywhere for what seems like forever.

Some perspective for the younger folks: think of how good players like Gazza ... Klinsmann … Ginola … Van der Vaart … Bale, etc., have been for Spurs. Now think of how often you've heard any of the older fans equate their abilities to Hod's. That's right - they don't. Because Glenn Hoddle was better.

*and later Sheffield Wednesday - legend.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    At least some good news - Dele signed a 6-year contract through to 2024. By then the new stadium should have been opened.

BalanceUT and mekarshalev repped this.
  24. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    surprisingly no poch around...don't know how and if we had to read this differently...

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    That's a good point, no Poch with the arm around the shoulder, the world has gone cold.

I know he got a lot of stick for those pictures, so maybe he doesn't do those any more for that reason. I can't remember if he did one with Kane this summer.

He has been moaning this week about how this is the worst he has felt at the club. To be fair, the stadium fiasco is not ideal, but I think what really is eating him is that he signed his big contract under the impression that Levy would back him in the transfer window in the summer. Remember, if he wanted, the Real Madrid job was his for the taking, but he made a big commitment to sign with us. I think he feels a bit let down by the board, but he is too loyal to the club to openly say it.