The "Song" Thread: part 645,284 (cont..) (R)

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by HardHatMike, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe we were doing "score another goal" at the end last year.

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I prefer team oriented songs chants that represent the whole and not just the individual. Too many times, vocals for individuals will come at odd times, say when Grenebaum makes a basic save and the afore mentioned preppy chant goes up. It's like really? He just made a basic catch on a cross, people! :rolleyes:

BeMassiveSoccer and RoleModel83 repped this.
  3. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Gotcha. I like it.

4. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Depends on whether it's an after-goal cheer or not. If not, maybe "Score another goal"?

The verses are pretty basic - little bit of call-and-response, adding a line each time... We could do something like:

Score another goal against, score another goal against
    Montreal ... MONTREAL!
    Vancouver... VANCOUVER!
    Toronto... TORONTO!
    Score another!

5. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Holy eff I posted before reloading. I swear I didn't hear it anywhere last year. TELEPATHY IS REAL.

6. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'll join in with the Arrieta/Alouette song.

Another suggestion:

I like the "Fools Rush In" song a lot, since it's unique, but I think it'd be even cooler if everyone held their scarves up while singing it. Nothing like a good ol' "scarf wall."

RoleModel83 repped this.
  7. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D
    I absolutley hate this. Makes it seem like there is a lack of knowledge about the game itself. "Yay, he caught the ball after that guy kicked it!"

On to the team side of things. Knowing your affinity for Newcastle, why don't you ever advocate for a "Crew, Crew Black and Gold Army" chant? Seems like there are quite a few Newcastle supporters around here and this is very easy, can go on for a while and sounds good in numbers. Plus our supporters and theres along well at the most recent friendly between us.

8. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Few seasons ago Hey Jude was attempted (as you know, at NUFC, it's Geooooordiiiiies). The reason it worked was "na na na naaaa Hey Creeeew" was catchy and easily repeated, no problem. The reason it seemed to flop and wither away was because people wanted to sing the a few stanzas of the main chorus, but laziness and/or the unwillingness to learn the words (or people maybe thought it was too wordy) caused people to stop trying. I'd say that would work as a nice scarf raiser with the na na na naaaa part. Scarves up during 'Wise Men Say' would be a very good thing too I reckon.

9. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D
    Hey Jude comes and goes but it should be in heavy rotation, don't know why it seems to fade away.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  10. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Forgive me if this has been done/suggested before -

Has anyone considered putting some "cheat cards"/lyrics sheets on the seats before games, or is that not kosher? Before last year I could only make it to the occasional game - I was always ready and willing to sing, but didn't know any of the words (or anybody who did). I realize the supporter's groups have some good stuff online, but given that I went so sporadically I didn't even think to check beforehand. Obviously it'd be expensive to do every week, but maybe we could to it for big games (Crewsmas, buck-a-beer, etc.) or when we wanted to introduce a new song (I think maybe we planned on doing it with "Yellow" for Kirk last year, although I was late so didn't see it).

Again, we may have done it before and/or the eurosnobs might get mad at us, but it could help more newbies feel welcome in Nordecke (and feeling more welcome leads to coming back.. and then getting season tickets and then buying jerseys and then the Crew using the extra money to buy even better players and then the Crew winning 6 straight MLS Cups).

11. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I've suggested this in previous song threads. Has yet to catch on.

Would be EXTREMELY easy though.

Example: 4:35

THOMA GOL repped this.
  12. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was awake in bed unable to sleep last night this drifted into my head. It might be complete garbage but I thought I would at least throw it out here.

To be sung/chanted to Bon Jovi Dead or Alive when the match is tied.

Real Song:
    I'm a cowboy
    on a steel horse I ride
    I'm wanted dead or alive
    Wanted dead or alive

Crew Version:
    We're Columbus, We Play 'til We Die, We Want It A Win Not A Tie, Want It A Win Not A Tie
    We're Columbus, We Play 'til We Die, We Want It A Win Not A Tie, Want It A Win Not A Tie
    Columbus, clap clap clap
    Columbus, clap clap clap.......

13. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Have you guys ever considered this song? It is beautiful, man. I don't think we'd even need to change the lyrics, really.

HardHatMike repped this.
  14. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The section lacks rhythm as it is, man.:whistling:

15. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    When Williams does something how about a chant of willo willo willo willo (repeat to fade)

16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont know if this is the right spot to put this but, I have sat in the Nordecke for the past 2 games. The game against DC was really had an awesome energy in the corner. It seemed to me everyone kinda was on the same page. The drums helped keep the beat and songs going. It felt like one large corner. Then against NY it reminded me why I stopped sitting there. Seemed like the drummers where kinda doing their own thing, nothing seemed to work together. Had little energy compared to the DC game.

Granted goals help but still

17. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Delays for scoreboard fires help.

18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? How so? It wasn't like the beginning of the game against NY was sloppy and then got better as people got on the same page. Again, just my opinion.

19. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nordecke was full and ready to go well-before the DC match because of the scoreboard fire pushing the start-time back an hour. It never filled up, nor was it really ever ready to go during the NYRB match. And early matches (4:00 pm) usually put the corner off. Theories abound as to why.

20. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday night (7:30pm) games are gold for our market/fan base. I think we know that much after all these years. For whatever reason, afternoon and weekday kickoffs are horrible for attendance and atmosphere.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *past several responses quoted here*

Well, look at college football for one prime example. Noon games usually have bad atmosphere because people have just woken up not too long ago and have minimal tailgate time. Heck, for some of the games, the students don't fill up the section until right before kickoff.

With an 8 PM game, people have been drinking/tailgating all day, the fans are pumped up, etc.

It's not just Crew games where the later start times help the atmosphere.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My commenting on last weeks game wasn't so much due to the number of people in the Nordecke but how it seemed very uncoordinated as a whole, compared to the prior week. The postponed kick off had everyone there early and fired up and ready to go, that I understand. My original comment was the DC game it seemed like the drumming and the chanting from all the group was TOGETHER. It seemed they were all pulling in the same direction. Contrasted against the NY game it seemed like the drumming was not coordinated well with the chants and the groups didn't seem to pull together.

To me it seemed like a lack of coordination that was the issue not the kick off time. However, you guys know more about this that me (I mean that seriously) so I will chalk it up to that.

23. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of "Dale" it clearly should be Tchani

Tchani, Tchani, Tchani go
    Tchani, Tchani, Tchani go
    Tchani Tchani
    Tchani go!

24. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like Tchani Tchani Tchani ugh... lol

25. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The half full glass says that Tchani go is to root him on. Go Tchani!
    The half empty glass says that Tchani needs to go. Go, Tchani!

It's the perfect chant!