The Sky is Falling Thread (Philly Edition)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Z010 Union, Sep 11, 2007.

1. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Re: The Sky is Falling (Philly Edition)

I'm sure the renderings already look vastly different, as this is a seperate project, but those were suite/hotel rooms in the corners.

I don't really get why Philly fans always feel it's necessary to make it us OR them all the time. If you have an ownership group and a viable stadium plan you will have a team. I get that waiting an extra year would suck, but if it happens, it would have to be because the plan wasn't ready.

I can't imagine if Philly's ducks are really in a row that MLS would put everything on hold just because some people don't think there will be enough talent, or unbalanced conferences, or some other trivial reason.

MLS is never going to stop at 16 or 18 or even 20 teams if there's more prospective cities with enough commitment like Chester AND Collinsville.

2. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like someone needs to see a classic pic

[​IMG]

Still looks like dodgeball to me.

3. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanx for the example.
    Bill Cosby MUST BE hiding in that photo, somewhere!
    ;)

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

keep in mind this thread is completely and utterly tongue-in-cheek.

5. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeh, en Iy keapz byttin' mee tung! :mad:

6. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007

"Ugh---our team totally sucks. They lost the first match, the season is over. We need to dump the coach---he's an idiot."

Voice from the future....

7. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

atta boy - i hope it's future like 2009/2010 instead of 2030

8. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007

It will be---the more that trickles out from the league, the more I think they are just playing HEEEAAAD GAAAAMESS. HEAD GAMES!

I hope also that we can transpose our collective dislike of da**as (lowercase and I refuse to dignify it by spelling it out) to this new team. After all, our hatred for the opposition often outweighs the love for our team, and that's half the fun of being Negadelphian.

9. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Re: The Sky is Falling (NegadelPhilly Edition)

Whether y'all are tongue-in-cheekin' it or not, you of course do realize the key issue here: if you're lining up the ownership, and you're getting the local (local/state) gubmint on board, and the ownership is getting the stadium plan lined up, then Uncle Don will be dropping by any month now with the keys to your shiny new MLS side. Everyone on these boards knows the truth about MLS: if you've got the dough, you get the club. Period.

Thus, regionalism has exactly zero to do with it. If the league had such a hunger for a club in a particular region (say, the Northwest), then they'd also be trying to central-plan their way into the Florida market, too, among others for example. But they aren't. And that's because the MLS club/No MLS club equation i$ mea$ured in preci$ly one way.

So, even if all this self-flogging is just a Philly thing, such that I wouldn't understand, that's all well and good, but just don't lose sight of the fact that lots of MLS supporters who wish their town had an MLS club are very much encouraged by what you SOB's have been able to accomplish thus far.

I for one am thoroughly looking forward to the day when my DC United whip your cheesesteak arses for ninety glorious minutes.

In my opinion there is something right and good about having Philadelphia teams in the trenches of the pro sports our nation is blessed with. Frankly, I think you rank a very solid second, behind only Brooklyn which at the moment is nothing more than a figment of not even my but someone else's memories, since I wasn't even born until 13 years after the Bums left for Lala-land. (One hope for miracles in the future...)

An ideal day would be to watch DC tear your side apart at the (for instance) Modell's Sporting Goods Park, home of Phildephia FC, and then celebrate by submerging myself in Yuengling Black-n-Tan and a small mountain of crabs at DiNardo's in downtown Philly.

Do the MLS supporter community a favor: finish your bitching and get back to work bringing your great city the pro soccer club it deserves, and the league a great city it deserves.

Cheers.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a friend to WorldGame in the real world, please my SoB brothers, be gentle.

:D

11. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando

I know all of you understood this, but just in case---my earlier post was meant in total respect for just about everything pertinent to this discussion: your city, your future MLS side, and certainly your efforts in working toward getting an MLS club.

It has been my experience, in business and otherwise, that Philly-ans are the rare types who don't require a bunch of PC-style schmaltz, and it's been something I dig about them.

Anyway, that's what I meant by the 'get over it, and get back to work' comments.

12. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everything is fine but this paragraph. Everybody knows Florida, with the exception of Tampa, only supports winning teams because all the fans are not locals.

13. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando

Your point is well-taken, although it is not quite accurate. Obviously not "all the fans" are non-locals. If that were true, supporters (or, dreamers as it presently stands) such as myself and SoccerPrime to name two would never have discussed any of this in the first place.

But mainly this wasn't my point to begin with: the point was that MLS does not have any desire to artificially force new franchises into regions of the US that currently are un-represented in MLS, and that is borne out by the fact that new franchises are the direct result of ownership groups with the moolah to pay for the whole deal, including a new park. In essence, a new MLS franchise is practically required by the league to be organized like a start-up business, prepared to lose plenty of dough for a few years before stabilizing and maturing into a profitable, growing (and winning) enterprise.

I disagree, though, that if MLS was doing some kind of Soviet/command economy campaign, so to speak, and dictating where teams are located, that they would skip Florida. I think they very likely would look to Florida regardless of the fallout after the Mutiny and the Fusion, not to mention sketchy attendance at everything from NFL games (eg: this weekend's 9/23/07 Jaguars game is blacked out due to a non sellout) to college football, and we won't even go into the trainwreck that MLB is down here (which breaks my heart, but...), even though the Magic have been doing ok. But if MLS did try and do a central-planning thing and dictate what happened where, they likely would succeed about as well as the extinct Russian economy did.

14. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No new news in a long time.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i heard from a reliable source that we are officially out of the running. seattle will be announced this week as team #15. cooper has all his T's crossed and I's dotted and will be team #16.

it was fun while it lasted, gents.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in baseball news...

17. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't being facetious. I know this group has thrived on the "quiet" but shouldn't we be hearing more?

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know they say that no news is good news ... but this is ridiculous.

19. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Even the crickets are cooked.

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

St. Louis news has run dry also.

Now I'm just hoping that after the Seattle fanfair, MLS says, "And, oh yeah, Philly and St. L will be playing also. We've been so busy blowing Paul Allen, we forgot to mention that - our bad"

21. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand their excitement about getting that kind of investment income. I wonder what city will be the surprise and leave StL and Philly out in the cold. Las Vegas? New York 2? Tulsa's new 22,000 seat stadium?

I'm still hoping MLS Cup will be our debut instead of our going away party.

22. PJBrian10

PJBrian10 New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Center City Philly

I have two questions--

1) I know there hasn't been much written about the subject in a while leaving us with little or no news, but how does everyone realistically rate our chances right now?

And...

2) God forbid, but if we end up out in the cold this round, what is our next best chance at getting in? Any chance at 18 teams? I seem to remember a Garber quote from a while backing sayin 18 by 2012.

Anyway, thoughts?

23. Riverplatephilly

Riverplatephilly New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Ambler, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man if Vegas or NY get a team......
    We have a decent feeling about Seattle, but all these rumors are making me paranoid.

Not sure what Senor Garber is looking for. How many times has he hinted that "we're a front runner" and we're "in the running?"

I care, guys, I'm w/ Bryan76, hopefully MLS cup will be our Debut.

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Sport Billy