The Six-Pointer: Philly v. Boston (FSC Game of the Week 8/29) thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by Charge!, Aug 28, 2010.

1. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    You make me laugh. (Shaking head in dis -belief ...)

2. BChaCha

BChaCha Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Look, let's get it over with. How much is the troll toll?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
  4. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Keep reading and digging up all my posts. I stand by all of them.

If I raise a hard issue or disagree with someone and they can't take it, it rather points out their problems, not mine.

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we've beat a dead horse here, so I'll make these comments and then I will leave it.

If you can find a replay that shows Seger in the picture as the ball is being kicked by Magnusdottir, I'd like to see it. There are no such camera angles that confirm the offside that I know and I did tape the game. The first time you see Seger in the replays I have seen is after the ball had already travelled several yards. Of course, she looked offside by then, as I said she was almost in full stride by then. In the replay that was roughly even with the players, Seger was maybe a half stride (two feet maybe) behind a standing still defender and the ball was at least five yards off Magnusdottir's foot, if not more.

Nary one of the Boston players put their hand up as defenders almost always do when they think the other team is offside. Their reaction was that of team that had just given up a goal (including LePeilbet).

Seeing where Seger was when she first comes into the picture, how far the ball had already travelled, and where the defenders were at the time, and the fact that she was already moving forward at fairly good pace, I don't see any possible way she could have been offside.

In a case where as you say "Sometimes you can't not watch both the player receiving and the player kicking the ball", then you shouldn't be making a call that you didn't see. That's guessing and has nothing to do with being well-trained.

I do agree with socfandan and kool-aide, among others, that the consistency on carding is also a problem. Players need to know the limits of what will be tolerated and what will not and that it won't change from game to game, minute to minute.

My apologies for belaboring this.

6. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I''ll see if I can get a clip or a freeze frame. If I have to make one, it may take a little while
    I was referring to Bchacha who was at a game. I asked the question of how he viewed and judged the play and did not get an answer.

He has to be exactly in line/ even with the next to last defender, then he/ she has to be able to see the ball. Maybe he did not have both in view?
    If you want to know the correct way to judge offside if you do not have both players in view? Listen to the ball being kicked while you watch the player making the run. Did Bchacha do that? If he did, he didn't say so.
    I had not commented on this subject but I am now just for a little. If you'd watched many games from the World Cup, if you ask the referees themselves, you'd see that consistency from game to game is very hard. You are asking differ refs, from diff background, to call the game the same way and that isn't going to happen.
    The LOTG allows for "in the opinion of the ref" and each will call the game a little differently. I can not ask the next guy to call the game the same way I do.

If you ask your coach, he will tell you, play the 1st 15 minutes of each game and see what that ref allows and play accordingly. That is how it is done forever. All you can ask for is consistency within that one game and the ref calls the game the same for both sides.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I'm not talking across the board. I'll take consistency on fouls/cards from just 1 WPS ref not named Seitz (who I haven't really seen much of this season--where's she been?).

8. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I respecfully submit the Independence have bigger problems at this immediate moment, like where to find their heart and soul, and scoring. And why the frak was LeBlanc on the bench tonight? Why is it that in any sport that requires a goaltender, Philly always draws the short straw. ALWAYS?

We're in a choking situation, and maybe it's time for Riley to get sacked. This collapse, 0-3 at the end of the season, with FCGP in their yard, a team we haven't beaten yet in the end...it's unacceptable.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the Charge draw the short straw?

I'll grant you Saskia Webber wasn't top shelf. But what's her name (geeze, I'm getting old & forgetting things...started w/ an M) wasn't horrid even though I thought her best skill was making the easy save look more difficult than it was. And you got young Solo.

ok. on 2nd thought, maybe you're right ;) :D

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Melissa Moore.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. That was bugging me. I got the Melissa part at some point in the middle of the night but still couldn't come up w/ her last name.

12. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
  13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    [​IMG]

You can see Seger's head and chest ahead of the next to last defender.
    You can also see the AR's perfect position,
    and this was before the ball was kicked even.

14. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find, thanks. One call right :D

15. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    This is the foul on Cheney

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tahh1oWxMo&feature=channel"]YouTube- Cheney PK[/ame]

16. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Are you f***ing kidding me? You've been AWOL all season, and now you're the voice of doom and gloom? If you'd been paying attention at all this season, you'd know that Riley thinks he's got two #1 goalkeepers, and both have played a number of games. I think you've got to look at style of play, and perhaps a lack of speed in back as being just as responsible, if not moreso, for the Philly goals-against average. There've been a few soft goals, but both KK and Val have made some spectacular saves, keeping the team in games. Who would you take instead? Hope Solo? Check out her goals-against average sometime soon.

The last Boston game had three goals disallowed for offside violations. Both teams were pinning their ears back and attacking with purpose. The outcome was disappointing, but it was as exciting a game as you'll see in this league. And Chicago knocked off Washington, too, so the Philly outcome against the Red Stars wasn't just some weird anomaly. Looked like dead legs out there, which is no surprise, playing Wed after Sunday, with travel thrown in. Don't be so quick to write them off--they've had a week and a half of rest before they take on Gold Pride. Sacking Paul Riley would be the single stupidest coaching decision of the season. And you would replace him with....?

17. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I know I've been absent here, and that was written in a moment of utter frustration; all of us have succumbed to that at one point or another, here or elsewhere. What matters is that they're in the playoffs, and a home game at that. If they can't beat FCGP Saturday, then they just have to play one extra game. It was just that the Super Semifinal host gig was there for the grabbing, and it was an opportunity lost.

But we're on the same side, and here's to the schneid ending Saturday night, and go Sky Blue. :)

18. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I completely understand your frustration. And if we're frustrated can you imagine how the team feels!!?? I don't imagine they take these games lightly. But they have been run ragged by all the training they've been doing and all the travel. But they won't use that as an excuse and will, I'm sure, give it their all in the Bay Area.

19. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Are Seger & Larsson back in Sweden, or staying around? And is Larsson injured?

20. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Well, hopefully they are still around, since the season isn't over yet!!! Larrson played in the last game, so I hope she's good to go.

21. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    HOLD ON A MINUTE. This was BEFORE the ball was kicked!!! A lot can happen before the ball is kicked! Please...

22. HODOR

HODOR New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    They will play World Cup qualifying play-offs in Sweden Sept 11 and in Denmark the 16th.

23. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

What about the FCGP game Saturday? The first round game on the 19th? This blows big meaty chunks.

24. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Ouch if both Seger and Larsson gone......part of the problem for Philly has been the many games both have played down the stretch run. Both have played games for both Philly and for Sweden so they got very limited rest down the stretch run, which is not good.

The team looked tired at times even though battling hard for every point.

Still it has been a good season and well deserved finish being in the playoffs.

25. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Seger and Larsson will miss the Gold Pride game but should be back for the playoffs. First round playoff game would be 9/19 assuming a 3rd place finish and Sweden's games are 9/11 and 9/16.