The Six-Pointer: Philly v. Boston (FSC Game of the Week 8/29) thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by Charge!, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Winning this makes things a whole lot less complicated for the Independence. Lose this, and we could be in serious trouble. Mitts is out for the game with a concussion, per WPS.com, so that'll hurt. Let's get the Super Semi in suburban Philly and nowheres else. :)

2. JSCram3254

JSCram3254 Member

May 5, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Union just finished doing it's part in making Boston soccer fans cry. Time for the ladies to keep up the momentum. Lord knows the Independence has the talent and skill to do it. Let's go Independence!

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We Freedom fans will be rooting for you, for what it's worth. ;)

4. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Thanks, StarCityFan. Your team pulled out a big one yesterday, let's see if ours can finally figure out how to beat Boston. Maybe the fourth time's the charm!

5. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Yep, big game today with lot's of points on the line and big swings in the league standings. Should be a great game between two highly motivated and talented teams.

Go Philly!

6. unionchris

unionchris Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for a Boston sweep this weekend for Philadelphia soccer.

7. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Okay, for those of you who were there - was Seger's header legal or not? The FSC comentators are the absolute WORST. They were looking at the play from an angle of about 40 yards back from the line and saying without a doubt it was a good call. But looking at the replay I thought it clearly showed that Seger did not move until the ball had been struck!! Along with the SkyBlue game and getting screwed on at least one and possibly two goals the refs have definitely changed the complexion of the Independence's season. I think with DiCicco's constant complaining that he is now getting a lot of questionable calls.

Having said that, this was a poorly played game by both teams, and except for the first goal, with some nice work from the midfield and forwards, the Boston goals were bad. Questionable call on the PK, and where in the hell was the defense on Cox's goal?!!

Well, if ever there was a must win for Philly it is now Chicago. Nothing else will do, esp. since the last game is at Bay Area.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was offsides when it was live (b/f replays) but it was close. Almost as close as Cheney's goal that got called back. But I wasn't at the stadium.

9. BChaCha

BChaCha Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was in the SOB section, right next to that goal. We all saw an onsides goal disallowed. The PK was questionable, but my angle was poor.

***Edit***

After reading through the Breakers' forum, they all seemed to agree: the PK was outside the box.

10. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I think the TV replay was excellent. It had the passer and Seger in the same view. She looked offside to me.
    I don't know which forum you are referring?
    I do know that the foul occured outside the PK area and continued inside -> PK was correctly awarded. Some even argue for a send-off for DOGSO.

11. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I will respectfully disagree with you on the Seger goal.

If the foul occurs OUTSIDE the box and they fall inside the box, how is that a PK?

12. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    That what the rule reads.
    If the foul starts from outside and continues inside the box (contact was still made inside), it is a PK.

14. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I still don't agree. The foul occurred outside the box. They both fell down inside the box. Your supposition is that the foul CONTINUED into the box.

15. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
  16. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Not supposition. I watched the replay. I have the recording. Contact was still made inside.

17. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Well, if they fall on top of each other it IS hard not to have contact. But that doesn't mean the foul CONTINUED into the box! My last word and thanks for trolling.

18. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Trolling? Hmm, so you can't discuss a call in here?
    It is just sad that people resorting to name calling when they don't know what else to say!

BTW, it was not the falling, both were still on their feet inside the PK area, the contact was made and caused both to fall.

19. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Don't bother to get in discussion/argument with Fire123 who seems to like being a big provocateur and perhaps troll like.

See his past history on Big Soccer in other boards (rants on Elizabeth Lambert, Southern Oregon, etc.) and you will get a sense of his approach to things. For example:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519571&page=5

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no particular opinion on the penalty kick...it was close. But Seger was not offside in my opinion. She was already nearly in full stride when we first see her on the replay and she is only one step behind a Boston defender (Angeli #4) who is standing still, while marking another player. At that point the ball was well on its way to Seger, so unless she was running in place, she had to be onside and I would think fairly easily...at least that's the way I see it.

That has been my biggest gripe at the refs (or rather the AR's). Not so much the penalties which usually are tough calls, but I have seen a lot of offside calls missed and it's a call that shouldn't be missed that often as long as the AR is in position. Still, it happens week after week.

21. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest gripe with refs has been the inconsistency with the cards.

I happen to think it should not have been a PK (but am thankful it was awarded) but should have been a 2nd yellow. I also like many posters think that Magnisdottir's forearm to Smith should have been a yellow rather than going unpunished.

All in all and evenly but poorly played match. A tie would have been fair result if only because both teams couldn't get a loss. But in my honest but very biased opinion, Philly was fortunate not to finish the game one or two players down.

22. BChaCha

BChaCha Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Oh
    Really?

And the offsides. I haven't watched the replay yet, but I was there, and I had a very good vantage point (i.e., being right near the side of the players doing the running). It was onsides.

23. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I have, both plays, and again ...
    Seger was offside. There were 2 different camera angles and they both confirmed offside.

There were also very good replays of the PK and it was well deserved.

If you guys have problems with the officials, you'd better be very sure and you did not even watch the replay. Being there is good but you don't often have good view of the play. Tell me how you view and judge the play? Sometimes you can't not watch both the player receiving and the player kicking the ball.
    The AR is a well trained official and he called it.

There is nothing I hate more than people trashing others (the officials) when they are doing their job very well.

24. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Why don't people go read that full thread and judge for themselves?

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I notice few here talking about the BOS goal that was called back and that one was just as close.

And I completely agree w/ socfandan about the inconsistency of the cards being given out by WPS refs. And not just in this particular game--WPS refs are a very inconsistent bunch. The right back should have gotten tossed for the foul on Cheney even if it was outside the box. There have been multiple games where clear tackles from behind did not receive the proper card.

You're right, that would help make Hoover's case stronger.