The Silverbacks and support

Discussion in 'Terminus Legion' started by ATLfirefan, Jul 28, 2011.

1. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough reason. Sometimes work and family gets in the way. If you get sick of standing in smoke with the Ultras you are welcome to come join us in 109.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 ceezmad, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Anything below a few big teams in Europe is minor league, in money terms every team is a farm team for the big European clubs.

Deal with it and enjoy your local soccer.

Sure easy for me to say I have the Chicago FIRE, but if the Fire was in the NASL, I would follow, yes most of the fans that go to Fire games would not, I do understand that, they would be MLSsnobs, just as bad as Eurosnobs in my book.

Just my opinion, people are free to follow who (or is it whom) ever they want, be it Manchester City, Club America or Sporting KC regardless of where they live or what ever other options they have available.

I personally do not hate on the "snobs" they can do what ever they want, just calling out what in my opinion is hypocrisy.

I am not a fan of Man U, but they play good football, so I am not surprised they have followers in Lawrenceville.

I personally like Barcelona they are "my European team", I would not call my self a Barcelona die-hard, but I do enjoy the way they play.

3. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your words, not mine.

I've been to plenty of 'Backs games, and it wasn't a great gameday experience, regardless of their recent success. The point of preferring major league sports isn't just because it's the highest tier, it's because of the gameday atmosphere. That's why it makes little sense for Eurosnobs to distinguish because they don't attend the games.

Apples and oranges.

4. Resurgens

Resurgens Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Athens, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I know I'm never going to Lawrenceville... I think if you love atlanta and love soccer you need to be going to silverback games but it doesn't make you a MLS snob to want a team in ATL from the top of the Pyramid. It just means you want more coverage of the sport here so it can grow.

FC Zanarkand Abes! repped this.
  5. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another good point.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And really that is all I would ask for to give it a chance. You did and it was not for you, good I can respect that.

Same for the fans of European teams, if they go to a MLS/NASL/USLPRO game and they do not like it then it is fine, hopefully they went with an open mind, but I have nothing against them for not liking it.

To me the word "snob" is better applied to people that follow European/South American/other teams around the world, say that MLS/NASL/USLPRO is below their level with out ever giving their local team a chance.

For sure, it is the unfortunate but logical fact, if Atlanta gets an MLS team; it would probably mean the death of the Silverbacks (unless they buy the name), but until MLS gets to Atlanta, why not give the silverbacks a chance as you are planning to do this year, hopefully you have fun.

7. Resurgens

Resurgens Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Athens, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea man that's totally how I feel about it, I was saying just love the team we have to show we are ready for a big time club. It's like kids and responsibility and their parents getting them a new puppy you know?

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is the approach I'm espousing to a lot of people these days, trying to convince them to go to the games whenever possible just to support the game and soccer in Atlanta. I've no love for the Silverbacks namesake myself but I'm there to celebrate the sport and see if we can make it bigger in any way shape or form.

Did the same with the women's teams, too, and really enjoyed some of the Beat games down at Herndon Stadium.