The selfishness of Didier Drogba

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MLS Detroit, Mar 8, 2016.

1. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The boys on ESPN FC went off on Drogba on Sunday and rightfully so. How can the Impact (and the league for that matter) condone his behavior?

1. Trains in the middle east and not with him team at the start of preseason.

2. Refuses to play on turf.

I wonder what his Impact teammates think of his behavior. MLS has to stop giving preferential treatment to its stars.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should've seen it coming.

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    come on, guys. Thierry Henry set the standard. Why would Drogba expect less concessions?

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair about Drogba's most recent move, his knees were reportedly swelling badly when he trained on turf, so this was about medical necessity. But he certainly could and should have trained with the club for the entire time they were in Florida and training on natural grass. He could have just stayed in Florida the week they went back to scrimmage their USL team, and it would have accommodated his knee issue just as well as training in Qatar.

5. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solution to problem is to not use turf in MLS stadia.

The top leagues in the world all use grass and if you can grow grass in Newcastle in the dead of winter, you can grow grass in MLS stadia.

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm not sure why someone who isn't an Impact fan would care.

7. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Agreed. You can't expect him to be training in Montreal on turf right now. No point of him playing one game on turf and missing the next month. That doesn't make any sense to me. He needs to stay off turf to have any chance of making it through the season.

But some parts of this entire scenario could have been handled better.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh* Here we go again.

1. There are teams in top leagues who use turf. Specifically there have been teams in Serie A and Ligue 1 with turf fields.

2. Newcastle doesn't have American football teams playing on their fields. Every team in MLS with a full-time turf field shares with an American (Canadian) football team.

But other than that, great comparison. :rolleyes:

9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, last season we were really disappointed when Montreal came to play the Quakes, and Drogba was a no-show. We were really looking forward to seeing him play in person. The same kind of attraction as for Beckham.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, several MLS cities typically have colder weather at the beginning of the season than the vast majority of European clubs during their seasons. Europe has the Gulf Stream keeping it much warmer than similar latitudes in North America. Also, England is an exception in playing through the coldest part of winter; all other leagues outside the Mediterranean basin take winter breaks. Russia, the only European country that is consistently colder than the northern US, normally doesn't resume after winter break until April; the only reason the Russian league has resumed playing this month is that Russia qualified for Euro 2016.

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you know that Newcastle has an entirely different climate than 75% of the United States of America

15 to 32, El Naranja, sitruc and 5 others repped this.
  12. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    The Impact do not share their stadium with a CFL team. Also Stade Saputo -where the Impact play- has natural grass. So Drogba is really just being a prima donna for colder weather than he likes, in a city he doesn't want to play for.

13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    [​IMG]

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Impact do not play on turf full-time. Read my statement again.

Kejsare and FootySkeptic repped this.
  15. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move to the other 25%?

16. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Here are some pictures of Drogba training with Montreal when the team was in Florida during preseason. So we have established that cold weather and artificial turf are Drogba's kryptonite, not Montreal players.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...egend-closes-door-return-Stamford-Bridge.html

JasonMa repped this.
  17. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I'm sorry, your original statement is correct.

Sorry, I'm just sensitive about the CFL.

BMO field is natural grass for the soccer sized portion, yet the Argos will play there this season.

Your statement is still correct, I'm sorry.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be interested to see how the grass holds up. Though IIRC the CFL doesn't have as many games as the NFL which will help.

19. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Argos get 10 home games a season + potential for playoffs. BMO field will host the Grey Cup this year as well, so a minimum of 11 this year.

I recall speculation of some sort of turf overlay being purchased in the future. This speculation was based on the possibility of NHL outdoor games taking place at BMO and such an overlay would be necessary. There is one NHL outdoor game coming to BMO next year so far... We'll see I guess.

Enough CFL talk, back to Drogba bashing please!

JasonMa repped this.
  20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares, the guy's having fun.

At the Kings/Cavs game with Peja!

707784100510236672 is not a valid tweet id

21. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Until April, the Impact train (every day) and play (twice) indoors at Olympic Stadium. I'll let you guess what surface that is.

22. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Real Bermuda grass?

23. Serie A and B

Serie A and B New Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan

There was one team in Serie A with turf, for one season, and the media and players and fans all complained about it. Serie A has also said it would think long and hard before allowing it again. As for Ligue 1, I know two teams at one time had turf and players complained about it. Not sure I would say Ligue 1 is one of the top leagues though other than PSG and maybe Monaco. Turf is extremely frowned upon in Europe and it seems even a fair share of MLS players complain about it in the press including some of your season MVP's.

Statman repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so, but it still makes the statement that all top leagues use grass wrong.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  25. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Joey really should get a cover for the stadium to start growth earlier then eh?

RE: Stade Olympique

Playing games on turf I get -only because there's no apparent alternative- but team training really? Send Drogba to the dome with the lynx and let the rest of the team steam up in the tropics... What else is the Stade for again? I hate penguins...