The Season that Never Started and Never Ends

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Sep 29, 2020.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 games left to the 2020 season that has lasted roughly 1400 years. As was posted in other threads, here is the remaining schedule before the (similarly strange) playoffs begin:
    • 10/4 vs LAFC
    • 10/7 @ SEA
    • 10/10 @ VAN*
    • 10/14 vs POR
    • 10/18 @ cRp
    • 10/24 vs FCD
    • 10/28 @ SJ
    • 11/1 @ LAG
    • 11/8 vs SKC
    *Ironically, we play Vancouver in Portland before coming home to play against Portland. The Canadian teams seriously got the shaft in this thing.

We play all of the playoff teams except Minnesota who we just played during the last stretch of games. The one Western Conference team we won't play during the regular season is Houston, who currently sits right behind us on the opposite side of the playoff line.

This conference makes absolutely no sense week to week, so I wouldn't count anything out. We could win the West (unlikely) and also finish last (just as unlikely???). My bet is we end up where we currently are. In spots 6-10.

RSLer, goobx1 and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    #2 goobx1, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    I put the over under on points at 13. Just under half of the points available over the last 9 games if my math is correct.

15 is right, the west is nuts. RSL is 6 points from the top and 4 from the bottom of the table.

I think that 30 points just might get you in the playoffs.

The playoff line right now is 18 points, just over 42% of the total points available so far.

42% of 27 is just over 11.

My iphone math is impressive. I know.

Can RSL get 12 points from the last 9 games? Just win the home games and they have to be golden. Stay golden pony boy.

Also, on a totally random thought on a possible song for RSL fans to sing at some point during the game. A poster on twitter or other social media was suggesting that "I'm gonna be there" by the Proclaimers would be a nice choice. I can't take credit if you like the thought. But feel free to blame me if it gets stuck in your head.

Just change the word "man" to "FAN".

I'll be damned but I think it's a pretty good idea. It would be pretty rousing in the 70th minute if/when we all get back to the RioT.

Yes I am old. I had this album on cassette when it came out in the year of 89 in the last century. And we did have Dr. Goals. Isn't he a Scot?

When I wake up, well I know I'm gonna be,
    I'm gonna be the FAN who wakes up next you
    When I go out, yeah I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the FAN who goes along with you
    If I get drunk, well I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the FAN who gets drunk next to you
    And if I haver up, yeah I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the FAN who's havering to you
    But I would walk 500 miles
    And I would walk 500 more
    Just to be the FAN who walks a thousand miles
    To fall down at your door
    When I'm working, yes I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the FAN who's working hard for you
    And when the money, comes in for the work I do
    I'll pass almost every penny on to you
    When I come home (when I come home) well I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the FAN who comes back home to you
    And if I grow-old (when I grow-old) well I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the FAN who's growing old with you
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da dun diddle un diddle un diddle uh da
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    When I'm lonely, well I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the FAN who's lonely without you
    And when I'm dreaming, well I know I'm gonna dream
    I'm gonna dream about the time when I'm with you
    When I go out (when I go out) well I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the FAN who goes along with you
    And when I come home (when I come home) yes I know I'm gonna be
    I'm gonna be the FAN who comes back home with you
    I'm gonna be the FAN who's coming home with you
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    Da da da (da da da)
    And I would walk 500 miles
    Just to be the FAN who walked a thousand miles

RSLer, georg and 15 to 32 repped this.
  3. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Bold prediction: We take 24 of the remianing points; only losing to Seattle.

2nd Mouse and Allez RSL repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I'll take the under.

goobx1 repped this.
  6. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm onboard with this. I like bold predictions. Crazier things have happened.

Edit: Check that - nothing crazier than that has ever happened. Anywhere. I'm still onboard.

[​IMG]

evilradar, 15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last time I used this phrase I got flack... but I'm not known as someone who learns quickly

You've put more thought into this than the supporters groups

8. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.rslsoapbox.com/2020/10/1/21496096/albert-rusnak-replacement-rsl
    So no Rusnak for the next 6 games for sure, should be good for the last 3. I think Kreilach will get the majority of the minutes in that spot, assuming we keep the same formation/tactics. Would be nice if Rossi is healthy to take about 25% of those minutes. Pretty sure the preferred midfield 3 will be Kreilach, Ruiz and Luiz. Who knows what it will be when they rotate, and they will have to rotate with 6 games in 21 days. More Besler than Beckerman is my hope. Definitely need to see more minutes from Ramirez and hopefully more than spot minutes for the young HG's.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, nobody could see this coming....
    ********ing Freddy's lack of rotating means we have no clue who besides Kreilach and injured Rossi will do at that spot. So annoying.

Also, RSL should seriously look at an option where Rusnak doesn't come back.

evilradar and goobx1 repped this.
  10. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't surprise me if that's why they let him go. Hope he looks good and a Euro club wants him. One year left on his contract?

goobx1 repped this.
  11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    No freaking duh.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given when the European transfer windows close, I think there's no way he doesn't come back and play for us this season.

13. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Three thoughts:

1) When RSL has been at their best over recent years, Rusnak is on the ball, distributing and taking shots near the top of the area. He has great vision at times, can elude defenders, and is fairly clinical with finishing. At their best, only Damir is more impactful even though Herrera and Everton are also pretty good at their peaks.

2) I can't get behind any theme song using the word havering. I mean what the hell does that even mean?

3) Not sure Freddy's rotation would have magically exposed a #10 other than Rusnak and Damir. Browsing the roster, I just don't see it. Jeizon being the only potential exception. And as we know, his downfall this season has been fitness.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in response
    1) Yes, at our best, Rusnak is on the ball. The problem is that happens to infrequently and Rusnak's numbers have dropped each year.

2) I dunno, havering seems a pretty accurate reflection of this club

3) … but this is the deepest roster in team history!? But really, the lack of rotation can't just be brushed off this easily. Who had Chang and Ruiz becoming two of our best players before the season? Who had us rating MacMath lower than Ochoa this quick - and not because Ochoa had played incredibly well. I'm not going to believe we have some diamond in the rough on the end of this roster, but Freddy did nothing to really show what is on there, either.

goobx1 repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    1) absolutely right. Why then is it so hard to have him play there. I blame Freddy for havering so much with where and how to play Rusnak.

2) Didn’t know what havering meant till now.

3) all on Freddy for havering and his inability unwillingness to rotate players in and out of the lineup. If only he had known RSL might lose valuable players to international call ups. Maybe he wouldn’t have been so havering with his lineups.

4) I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more to be the fan who walked a 1000 miles to the RioT. Havering or not.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL Show guys did a preview of the game. They're a lot more optimistic about this one than I think is warranted. For starters, when we played LAFC last time we caught them at an extremely opportune time. They were still trying to figure out who they are going to be without Vela (and seems they haven't figured it out still) and were missing Atuesta and Kaye in the midfield. They were a shell of themselves. And they played like that, too. This time around, they are still in the "how do we do this without Vela" phase of things, but seem to have a bit more of an identity.

On our side, there seems to be a lot taken away from the Minnesota game that made people happy. As I've said before, I didn't watch, but the highlight clip and the stats don't suggest we were the better side. If you had to pick someone to win that game, it's hard to not say it should have been Minnesota. Putna made a few really solid saves (that were bad shots, as well) and a lot is being made of a handball that... i dunno, I just don't see being given even on VAR review. Punishing defenders for having arms is ridiculous and is something FIFA/IFAB are working on fixing. the defender isn't making himself bigger, he isn't making a motion towards the ball, and it's from literally two feet away. You're not getting a pk there.I would have given a red for the tackle by Metonair, though, that kind of tackle for sure gets you sent off in CCL. We know that.

I'm not optimistic about playing LAFC with both teams on a full weeks rest. It's 2020 and we'll probably win 6-0 but we're just as likely to lose 14-0.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's a home game, but will Corey Baird make the flight?

15 to 32, DrownedElf, rslfanboy and 3 others repped this.
  18. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me crazy, but I am simply thankful we at least have some RSL soccer to watch. This year has been so strange anything could happen.

goobx1, RSLer, Allez RSL and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooooo . . .

Putna

Herrera Silva Holt Toia

Ruiz Kreilach

Chang Baird (?) Meram

Martinez

Subs: MacMath; Schmitt; Besler, Beckerman, Portillo, Jeizon; Sam, Iloski

Eight on the bench rather than nine? Rusnak is on international duty and Glad is suspended, with Everton and Rossi out injured. Nedum is MIA, anyone else?

20. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    He’s in the lineup. Miss a team flight, start the next match. Nice.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Monarchs played today - lost 4-0 at home - and only one of the RSL rostered players suited up, Luis Arriaga came on as a sub. Garcia, Mulholland, Ochoa, Vazquez?

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For only about the second or third time, I get the RSL broadcast. Sounds like it might be a 4-4-2. But the graphic suggests not.

23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nedum made the injury report.

24. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad so far...

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Douglas getting released wide is fun to see. But it is pointless too, at least given his skillset compared to where he's getting the ball combined with the speed of his teammates to arrive in support.

goobx1, rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.