The search for a NEW LFC Manager Thread - Arne Slot (?)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Jan 30, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's remember that all of this is speculation fueled by largely uninformed, and unscrupulous, reporters. I do think Alonso is so obviously a good choice for any number of top clubs that it is likely he'll be fielding offers from multiple clubs this spring. But the supposition that he's gone from a main target of FSG, but one that the owners are wondering might not have enough history, to one we may not have a chance at hiring - well that whole storyline is based on nothing but rumor and innuendo.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Klopp wouldn't have announced his retirement without the club having a pretty good idea of who they were definitely going to be able to replace him with. I'd bet it was a bit more involved than "informally." I just can't see Klopp announcing that he's leaving without some pretty concrete succession plan already in place. It just doesn't make sense for him to say anything otherwise. He could just as easily have kept his counsel until the season was over. There has been some speculation that there might have been upcoming publication of these developments. But I think that if he'd told the FSG brass they certainly wouldn't have let this news out. More likely rumors would have gotten going once the club had reached out to potential replacements. That's when the number of people who knew about Klopp's decision would have increased, and when those people would have had some reason to "leak" that information.

B.A., newterp and Samarkand repped this.
  2. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the game where he brought Dortmund to Anfield for a friendly in August 2014. I think even then there was some wishful thinking here in the forum along the lines of... "wouldn't it be great if we could get him to replace Rodgers?" I know I certainly was thinking this. As much as Rodgers got us close to the title earlier that year, there was a lot of frustration with some of the decisions (not the least the way the final game against Crystal Palace was played). I remember before the game Klopp was looking around and reacting to the pre-game YNWA song... I bet he'd already been contacted by FSG, and they were showing off the stadium to him.

LiverpoolFanatic, newterp and Samarkand repped this.
  3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #178 Samarkand, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    If you’re a publicly traded company, you have to be able to show the powers that be that you regularly indulge in succession planning; it’s a legal requirement. You have to have a researched wish list in case your CEO or other officers get hit by that proverbial bus. Now obviously there are many companies who do the bare minimum if even that, especially for the non-CEO c-suite officers (promote from within, share/split responsibility, etc.) but if you’re an Apple or Amazon with a dynamic CEO who very much IS the company, you better have a very decent, well-researched succession plan lest pancreatic cancer or exploding spacecraft come your way.

A privately held company as FSG is, is not held to the same accountability, but it’s just good corporate governance to focus part of your board meetings on succession, especially when you have a manager as dynamic, as world class and as irreplaceable as Klopp. As we’re discovering, you can’t just go down to Wal-Mart and buy a new manager.

So there’s no doubt that FSG would have constantly updated dossiers on the most likely candidates. Some fall away, say Zidane, and others join the list, say de Zerbi, and Anfield keeps very informal contact with their top candidates via agents and such.

But the truth is once you start making these talks anything more informal than a quick beer, then you become subject to the law of secrets. Which states that to keep a secret between 3 people you must first kill two of them.

Once Anfield started talking to Xabi or Zidane or whoever, then the parrot was already out of the cage, and in situations such as that, best be leading the parade with the news rather than playing catch up with excuses. Which is why I think the contact with Xabi before Christmas was informal and therefore deniable, but once things got a little serious, Klopp made his announcement. Which means in a roundabout way, that discussions went from informal to serious-ish without Xabi saying, “no”. Make of that what you will.

Assuming Xabi was/is the number 1 choice to replace Klopp, it would not have needed Klopp’s announcement to make Xabi #1, Xabi would have already been that. And failing Xabi coming, Anfield already would have a #2 and 3 and so on. There’ll always be a succession plan.

And say Xabi does come in on July 1, on July 2 FSG will have their succession dossiers lest pancreatic cancer, exploding spaceships,’proverbial busses or Real Madrid(!) come a-calling.

imasyko and delaynomo repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    so ..... now it's key that we find someone to kill a parrot. damnit - I googled and there's not many companies in that space.

plus: great post Samark. (seriously)

5. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Eh? It's already dead and I want my money back!

bayred repped this.
  6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    No, ‘e’s pining for the fjords.

speker repped this.
  7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How is doing more than having a dossier not construed as "tapping up" ?

How does informal contact supposedly work when your target in view's current employer is presumably aware of your informal contact occurring?? If I'm aware, then so are Leverkusen.

8. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one not worried about Bayern hiring our next manager?

there only two places on the continent that are more toxic, and they are in Spain.

look at how many managers it has chewed up and spit out over the past decade+.

CB-West and newterp repped this.
  9. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    This parrot is no more, it is a dead parrot.

speker repped this.
  10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me. I am almost sure he has no interest in Bayern apart from the I'm flattered variety.

B.A. repped this.
  11. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah - going to Bayern would be similar to going to Chel$ki...or ManU...or Newcastle...well, maybe not Newcastle...;)

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    No, as I’ve already said, ‘e’s pining for the fjords. Norwegian Blues are famous for it. Especially if they live in Purley.

bayred repped this.
  13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    While you do make sense and I would agree, I’d point out it wasn’t us who added Bayern to Xabi’s list, it was Xabi.

14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would suspect that the Leverkusen fans would prefer he went to Liverpool rather than Bayern. Joining Bayern would damage his legacy with the Leverkusen fans.

The last time Leverkusen had a season like this was 2002 when Michael Ballack led them to the Champions League final. Ballack of course immediately joined Bayern.

Hopefully Alonso will break the tradition of everyone who has any success in the Bundesliga joining Bayern…….….like Klopp did.

bayred and Samarkand repped this.
  15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yep, I do think the above should inform Xabi’s thinking, he said with hope in his heart.

Suss repped this.
  16. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excluding one interim boss, Tuchel is their sixth manager since Pep left in the summer of 2016.

17. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So, six managers in six years...doesn't thank make them all interim?

Wingtips1 repped this.
  18. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    We don’t want no Norwegian Blue. We want that Spanish Red.
    If he’s the Chosen One. :)

19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp
    Haaland
    Bellingham
    Alonso

new tradition is cemented.....

21. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    Rest in peace Jimmy Buffett

22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Pep Lijnders pre Chelsea press conference was outstanding. A part of me is sad that we didn’t at least try to continue the ride with Pep as boss. I think he could be a brilliant manager. Link to the press conference below:

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down the road. I think he's pretty intelligent as well, and realizes that coming in right after Klopp is a no win situation. I think he also wants to go get some true managerial experience and then see what happens.

bayred and Samarkand repped this.
  24. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Xabi watch:

3 more points for Leverkusen. Now 11 point gap at the top, with Bayern facing a tough game against RB Leipzig tomorrow.

B.A. repped this.
  25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m [increasingly] hearing of
    Ruben Amorim of Sporting as a potential candidate. And has been on the radar since last season. Just a rumour like …