The search for a NEW LFC Manager Thread - Arne Slot (?)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Jan 30, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    when he announced he's going to leave, Xavi's comments about life as Barca manager will have served as a serious red flag to future candidates.

as for Sporting Directors .... anyone know if that's the structure at BL for Xabi right now?

The new CEO of Sony doesn't suddenly decide to stop selling electronics, music and entertainment and go into the equestrian business.
    Best Sledgehammer Analogy nominee, right there! :)

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the CEO of MyPillow transition into selling? Apart from his body for protection in jail.

Samarkand repped this.
  3. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice one.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :D

5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Delusion without drugs.

6. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Everything he owns to pay his legal bills.

Samarkand repped this.
  7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Let's look at the big jobs (potentially) available this summer.
    For sure: Barca. Liverpool.
    Maybe: Bayern. Chelsea. Newcastle. Milan.

There will be competition for talent, and especially Xabi.

I wouldn't be pissed in any way if we don't end up with him.
    **Unless some old, short-term name comes in like a Mourinho or Conte**

There are plenty of managers with the kind of background needed to come in here and do well, especially if they have a viewpoint similar to Klopp's which draws on high intensity and pressing.

Appoint someone like Ruben Amorim or Nagelsman, Sebastian Hoeneß or Arne Slot, and I think there is a still a reasonable chance of success if we are able to appoint the right DoF.

Things to consider:
    Does Xabi's philosophy/tactis fit with the current squad as assembled? How much change is needed to get players who fit his system? Is he wedded to his current system at Bayer or is he using this as it fit the playing staff he had available? What about the others, could they come in and make one or two slight tweaks and not need an overhaul to be successful?

Sure, returning hero Xabi comes along and he buys a raft of new players and ushers some others out the door. After two seasons, one in the top 4 and another just outside, with FA Cup and Charity Shield trophies to his credit, he gets a call to take over for Ancelotti - does he jump at the opportunity? I reckon he does.
    If Slot is signed, and wins a PL in his first year and domestic cup double year 2, are Real calling us for him? Probably not. Which has to be something to weigh when trying to plan for a 5 year period.

And let's be honest, just how much does the manager really matter? The chavs have had much more success than us over the last 20 years and they have had a revolving door at manager - so much so that Avram Grant and Roberto di Matteo have found success there by mainly following the tactics of other, better coaches.

8. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Honestly? A lot!

newterp repped this.
  9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha. Seriously.

10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes, obviously it does matter.
    But I meant more along the lines of choosing someone with a similar philosophy and using existing resources within our structure which has proven to be capable of winning trophies.
    So long as the next guy is competent, we should be ok.
    We don't need another visionary to raise us from the ashes.

This isn't the cult of Fergie - where his single minded determination to win at all costs is what drove the club forward and without him it would obviously all crumble behind him.

LiverpoolFanatic, Red Bird and newterp repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agree on the visionary bit.
    but as far as coaching and squad management are concerned we need top-level skills, not mere competence.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair

13. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think who we get as the next manager is massively important. Fergie is mentioned and Man Utd are a good example of how the fortunes of a big club can flounder when the wrong person is steering the ship.
    Utd hired the wrong managers one after another and despite pumping millions of pounds into new players for each of them they've had no sustained success since Fergie .
    Our successful managers over the past 25 yrs and before really have embraced the city and the supporters philosophies and hopefully so will the next one.

oikos repped this.
  14. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    promoting someone into the job of LFC manager raises an extremely important intangible criterion: who is "big enough" for the job?

if we do end up winning multiple trophies this year (esp if we get the big one - or even if we only get the big one), the next guy will be under great pressure to make us successful again in 24-25.
    anything other than silverware will be seen as failure. more so if the squad is basically unchanged.

if early results are underwhelming, media knives will come out, especially the likes of Neville and the mob at Sky ("the job is too big for him!"). and there are way too many LFC "fans" (as opposed to supporters) who will be right behind them.

managing LFC is an enormous job. we all know our global profile. I have a lot of respect for De Zerbi but he's never come close to that level of scrutiny / expectations.

you need big balls to step into Jurgen's shoes. so to speak :)

16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #116 speker, Feb 13, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2024

Very few have , Sam .Whoever takes over will have to deal with the massive pressure and stress which comes with the job . Unless we go for an aging Ancellotti or a Mourinho (who none of us want ) few if any young ambitious manager is likley to have had a job like the Liverpool one..

I think DeZerbi is under consideration because of what he's done with Brighton, the exciting style of attacking football on a very small budget.

17. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think short-term maybe a perfect-fit manager isn't so important, but that's a different case if you are looking for long-term success/stability. I think it is much more often that clubs bring in talented managers who can maintain, or give a boost, to a squad's performance over the short-term. But most manager tenures are only 2-4 years (or less) and then there's a dip in form, and they are out. Rinse and repeat. It's a rare manager that stays at a top club for 4+ years and is able to consistently rotate through different squads while maintaining high level performance and squad unity.

I think a lot of times, managers are able to maintain high levels of performance until they've exhausted their squad, or their squad's support, and then that's when these dips in performance happen and it's time to swap managers for someone new.

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I know and I agree, just pointing out the magnitude of the job.

MU handed Moyes a poisoned chalice since the only boxes he ticked were "PL experience" and "has done well with limited funds".

AFAIK De Z's only added box is "plays very good football" - which is a biggie of course.

19. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Moyes was also supported ("hand-picked") by Ferguson...which made the pressure to succeed even greater!

20. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We could never accuse Moyes of coaching attractive attacking football though could we. If DeZerbi is one of those being considered and I tend to think he is it's not simply that he's done well but also that his side plays a style of football that we like and may suit our players too..
    None of know who will replace Klopp but lets hope we get a guy whose sides play on the front foot and like to go forward.

CB-West repped this.
  21. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Talk of Real wanting Alonso in 2025, telling him to wait a year.
    And honestly, why wouldn't he? Fresh off a league title, his entire squad still in place at Leverkusen for a CL run. And the knowledge that Ancelotti's contract is up and he's the preferred candidate.

He comes to us, it's 2-3 years before Real would likely come calling - unless he absolutely fluffs his lines here. But why risk that happening when he knows 2025 CL knockout stage and avoiding relegation will see him safely in the Real seat?

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_...urce_ve_path=MzY4NDIsMjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Acknowledging the speculation, Tim Steidten nevertheless underlined his commitment to West Ham.

“I’ve heard that I am supposed to be on the list at Liverpool,” he told Sky Sport in Germany.

“It is one of the biggest clubs in the world, so it’s an honour. But so far nobody from LFC has contacted me yet."

24. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Interesting Real alternative for Xabi, everybody's dream job I guess. But, he is Basque and Madrid might not be his personal favorite place. If he chooses Liverpool, it would be Klopp-like as the motivation is his love for the club, city and people. Time will tell.

25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #125 Samarkand, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    The wonder is, I suppose, that any manager ever at any time since the Big Bang has ever found work at Anfield. We can but hope for the future, there’s little else we can do, obviously.

We all know it’s going to be Joey Barton or Sam Allardyce, but even then we’re going to be second best if Runcorn or Maidstone come calling. As I say, we can but hope.

There’s always Madeleine, the tea lady, but apparently Bayern want her because they’re not convinced of Tuchel. Plus she’s not the greatest believer in high pressing fullbacks, so there is that.

newterp repped this.