The search for a NEW LFC Manager Thread - Arne Slot (?)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Jan 30, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool have had an opening €9million offer for Arne Slot rejected. (The Athletic)

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    My point exactly. :)

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It’s too public.

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tee hee hee

5. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Melissa says Slot ticks the boxes.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well that settles that then.

7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I see Xavi has done a U-turn at Barca.

8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought that was going to be the case for some reason

9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    In other musical chairs: Dutch TV tonight saying ten Hag is now favourite to come back to Ajax, just ahead of Pep Lijnders in the betting.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I blame Calvin Ramsay.

newterp repped this.
  11. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speker repped this.
  12. If I understood it correctly it's not just Klopp leaving, but his whole staff.
    If that's true, Slot should scratch his bald head and think again.

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Maybe he should, but these days, it’s never just a new manager, it’s his whole staff. Allardyce (yes, we know!) famously had a backroom staff of close to 50 who came with, whenever he took a new job. Slot, if the new manager, will be the same. And honestly, why would you not want your loyal, tried and trusted lieutenants rather than a crew imposed by the club whom you don’t know?

SamScouse repped this.
  14. Yeah, but with clubs like Liverpool in the EPL, staff size are different from Dutch clubs.
    You're still handicapped without inside knowledge about the players group to start with, while building your own picture.
    Probably Slot knows alot about the players already, being an avid watcher of both Klopp and Pep teams, but still.

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just don't want to lose Slot - be honest! :D

16. :p

17. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Its certainly not unusual in the prem league for the incoming manager to bring his support staff with him, in fact its probably the norm.
    Slot can begin studying videos to get an idea of the squad and he'll have the preseason to watch up close. I would think Edwards and his staff will work closely with him and there is also an entire Academy coaching staff with extensive knowledge of the younger players.
    I don't really see an issue as long as Slots assistants are capable coaches and trainers.

18. We have a saying in the Netherlands:
    Achter Slot en grendel zetten = Put under lock and key
    If I only could:)

bayred and speker repped this.
  19. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    We think he'd slot right in here...

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  20. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He'll be bringing his key #s 2, 3, and 4. But beyond that he won't be bringing much.
    Recruitment/scouting is already in place.
    The youth coaches aren't going to be changed out.
    Phsyio room will remain.

No need for much beyond that.

21. Barnsie

Barnsie Member

EPL Club: LFC
    Germany
    Oct 16, 2021
    Has anyone ever thought about a need for a change? Perhaps a new perspective wouldn't be such a bad thing ... just asking, mates.

22. Yes, yes, yes....try catenaccio.
    No need for Slot, he's terrible at it.

Barnsie repped this.
  23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well - it seems like it's ended up there - right? As Suss very well expounded - Klopp's farewell should have rallied the team and did for a while - but then the players basically quit at the first sign of adversity.

It's a truth we probably don't want to deal with - but many of the players are stale and only have a year or so left with Liverpool or at the top level - Robbo, VVD, Salah to name a few.

There is more to discuss here - but I'm too annoyed to do so - haha.

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully he can help Darwin...slot....a few more of these sitters in the net....

I'll get my coat.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Really? Where was the adversity in the Cup game with United that was more than the Carabao final with the kids? Incredibly unfair to claim the players quit in the face of adversity. Really wrong.

I saw a team where 2-3-4 key players lost form at the same time, allied to a huge amount of tiredness and exhaustion which can often be the same thing. Klopp can work wonders with belief but he cannot make players not exhausted. Had our injuries not been so many and so intense, there would have been a lot of rotation so players like MacAllister, Szoboszlai and Endo in particular were not required to play nearly every game when fit. If Klopp is guilty of anything, it’s not rotating enough.

It seemed he trusted the kids when he literally had no other options. None. But when faced with say a buoyant McConnell or flagged out MacAllister, he went with experience every time. He went to that well too often when the kids had shown there was at least a Plan B or Plan A-. Salah, TAA and Jota to name 3 were put straight back in on a full schedule and if I’m not mistaken, all 3 suffered subsequent injuries when they returned.

Basically the funk we should have suffered around the Carabao final was time-shifted forward by about 6 weeks. It was many things, but, come on, it wasn’t the players quitting.