The search for a NEW LFC Manager Thread - Arne Slot (?)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Jan 30, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on any of these managers, but I was never sold on Amorim. A manager who is married to a 3 at the back system seemed to go against what Klopp had built. From formation alone, I like Slot better.

Slot's resume in Holland is impressive. As manager of AZ Alkmaar, Slot had his team level on points with Ajax when Covid cancelled the season and the league was awarded to Ajax on goal difference. He then moved to Feyernord where he brought a team to Conference League final in his first season, and he won the Dutch league in his second season there. Feyernord beating Ajax and PSV to the title is the equivalent of Sporting beating Benfica and Porto. This season, PSV started the season by winning literally every single game and ran away with the league. Feyernord are still a very strong second with 22 wins, 6 draws, and 2 losses. They recently beat Jordan Henderson's Ajax 6-0.

Feyernord to Liverpool is a huge jump, but no bigger than Sporting to Liverpool.

Really don't understand the online outrage about "missing out" on Amorim. Let's be clear, if Amorim is talking to West Ham it is only because LFC went in another direction, not because West Ham swooped in and took him from us.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FROM LAST YEAR
    The manager every Premier League club should be looking at
    Doing a Leicester on a Dutch shoestring: meet the inspirational manager every English top-flight club should covet

Jason Burt,
    CHIEF FOOTBALL CORRESPONDENT
    13 April 2023 • 10:30am

While Napoli have felt like the story of European football this season there is something almost as extraordinary taking place in Holland that even rivals Leicester City’s amazing Premier League title win in 2016.

The Feyenoord team of Arne Slot play some of the most exciting, high-energy, attacking football on the continent alongside Napoli and they have taken the Eredivisie by storm, leading by eight points over Ajax with just one defeat in 28 league games.

They are also into the last eight of the Europa League after beating Shakhtar Donetsk 7-1 at home in the last round and face Roma on Thursday. This brings Slot, who is being looked at by a number of Premier League clubs, back up against Jose Mourinho for a rematch of last year's Uefa Conference League Final, when Roma beat Feyenoord.

And all of this is being achieved on a shoestring.

Feyenoord may traditionally be the third biggest club in Holland behind Ajax and PSV Eindhoven, but that gives a false impression. They are not only far behind the Dutch giants in terms of budget but also have been, in recent years, one of its most boring, defensive teams, especially under Slot’s predecessor Dick Advocaat. How that has changed.

Examining the financial disparity gives a sense of how well Slot has done since he left AZ Alkmaar, having achieved their highest-ever points total, to take over at Feyenoord in the summer of 2021.

So impressive has been the work of the 44-year-old former midfielder, who is a disciple of Pep Guardiola, that more Premier League clubs are taking a keen interest. Leeds United tried to hire him in February after sacking Jesse Marsch (and he would be a natural successor to Marcelo Bielsa) but he stayed in Rotterdam.

There are vacancies at Tottenham Hotspur and, in the summer, Chelsea and Crystal Palace – it would be remiss of them not to consider Slot.

It does feel that it is only a matter of time before Slot makes his move to England, where there are strong similarities in the way he coaches and the playing style he demands to Mikel Arteta at Arsenal and Brighton’s Roberto De Zerbi. He is also friends with Liverpool’s assistant manager Pep Lijnders while there is, of course, an obvious comparison with Manchester United’s Erik ten Hag, who moved from Ajax. Except Slot’s football is even more attacking and it was he, not Ten Hag, who won the Rinus Michels Award for Eredivisie manager of the season last year.

Radically changing how the team play

Mention of Ajax draws the most stark comparison. When Slot took over, Feyenoord sold top-scorer Steven Berghuis, with 18 goals, to Ajax for 6.5 million euros and used 4.5 million euros to buy Gernot Trauner, Marcus Pedersen and Fredrik Aursnes, who all improved the squad.

Feyenoord finished third, having been fifth the season before, but that does not provide the full picture as Slot completely overhauled their defensive playing style. The club wanted him to do it and, interestingly so did the players. The coach exploding the myth that ‘you can only work with what you have got’. Instead, with a fierce pressing game in which Feyenoord go man-for-man with their opponents all over the pitch, he showed that players can change.

Interestingly it was one of his main motivations for joining Feyenoord: to show the world it can be done.

In Slot’s first team meeting he played clips of the 2021 Champions League final between Chelsea and Manchester City and asked the simple question: why were there so few chances despite there being so many good attacking players?

The answer was equally as simple: it was because all those attackers also made incredible defensive runs to nullify their opponents. Slot then contrasted that with the lack of running Feyenoord had done the season before and compared the distance covered – far less – to his AZ side.

His approach was also simple, as is his mantra: his teams defend by attacking. While Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool, for example, wait for ‘pressing triggers’ Slot asks his players to press all the time. It sounds exhausting but, after a few weeks, it becomes second nature.

The next part of that is to try and control games by emphasising ball possession, which is straight out of Guardiola’s playbook. Slot believes that more defensive football is not only more tiring but less stimulating for the players. Slot argues they cannot improve by primarily thinking about defending.

In Holland they call it indoctrineren (indoctrinate) and Slot bombarded the players with stats, with clips and with far more sophisticated and intense training sessions in which every minute is accounted for. City and Napoli are reference points to this train-the-way-you-play approach. In a recent presentation – with a multi-national squad, all meetings are conducted in English – Slot used Casemiro of Manchester United as an example. Slot highlighted the player's desire to win as exemplified by Casemiro's determination to head the opening goal in the League Cup final. And this from a Brazilian international who has won the Champions League five times.

Creating an exciting team on a shoestring budget
    Then last summer the changes that were made were even more dramatic as 70 million euros worth of players, led by Tyrell Malacia, who joined United and Luis Sinisterra, who was signed by Leeds, were sold. Incredibly, Slot lost seven players from his starting XI and also lost three loanees including Arsenal’s Reiss Nelson.

In came no fewer than 17 players in one transfer window with just 30 million euros spent. So Feyenoord made a significant profit but have a far better team. Two of those players, midfielder Quinten Timber and defender David Hancko, cost 6.5 million euros each, which meant just 17 million euros was spent on 15 players.

To put that in context the 17 were signed for the same amount Ajax spent to bring in Steven Bergwijn from Tottenham. Feyenoord’s highest paid player earns 1.5 million euros from a total budget of just 22 million euros – less than a third of Ajax’s best earners

And yet with a transfer surplus of 40 million euros, Slot has created a team that is one of the most exciting in Europe.

Players such as 23-year-old midfielder Mats Wieffer and right-back Lutsharel Geertruida, both just called up for latest Dutch squad, are catching the eye while Turkish international Orkun Kokcu has been transformed into one of the best midfielders in the Eredivisie and will be in demand next summer. Again, Premier League clubs are watching.

Slot's astounding attention to detail
    Such is Slot’s attention to detail that the ‘rondo’ – the training drill whereby players attempt to keep the ball while a smaller group aim to intercept – is even extremely specific.

Slot is concerned the drill does not allow players to ‘scan’ (to check the options on the pitch) which is one of the fundamentals of passing and so he insists that they can only take one touch, that they cannot return possession to the player who passed to them and, crucially, that the ball always stays below the knee. Players are even encouraged to consider which foot they are passing with.

Given the style of play is so demanding it is impressive that Feyenoord have suffered so few injuries, especially in contrast to Bielsa when he was at Leeds which is maybe, also, why they were interested in hiring Slot.

With this Slot is again precise in how he trains. For example he has concluded that in sessions for the days immediately after games the players should work in a space no longer than 40 metres. If they play in bigger areas it means they have to accelerate more and sports medical science has proved that running above 20km/h risks more muscle injuries.

Slot does not play games of 11 v 11 in training as most coaches do and works hard on the mental side of the sport. He has even convinced the Feyenoord players that the more games they play the stronger they will become.

What next for Slot, who has two years left on his contract at Feyenoord, will be fascinating especially if, as seems likely, he wins the Dutch title and leads them back into the Champions League. He will undoubtedly be a coach in demand. For now, though, something extraordinary is taking place in Holland.

Suss repped this.
  3. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    Having seen some interview clips/highlights of both clubs, he seems far too laid back and relaxed personality wise (dare I say ETH like). I prefer the more animated type on the touch line and laying into the players a bit more and that's how I think Amorim comes across.

Amorim has won slightly more;

Slot has 1 league title and 1 cup in 5 years in Holland. Out of title race this season.

Amorim has 1 league title and 3 cups in 5 years in Portugal, looks set to add a 2nd league title and are also in a cup final next month against Porto.

Recruitment wise both seem to have done pretty well so can't really separate them there, maybe there's a bit of recency bias that comes into it. Amorim's record in the CL seems superior to Slot's.

4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    On the other hand- maybe we are getting Moysie!! ;)

5. Barnsie

Barnsie Member

EPL Club: LFC
    Germany
    Oct 16, 2021
    Crikey! It's mind-numbing how fast the European football buzz changes, mates! Last I knew, it was going to be Amorim ... now it's suddenly Arne Slot! WT Bloody F!

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It could be the battle of the bald in the northwest of England. Pep vs 11 Hags vs Slot.

upload_2024-4-23_15-36-20.jpeg

7. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Slot prefers to deploy either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 system that relies on possession which would fit Liverpool's current squad. He has a focus on regaining the ball as quickly as possible and his side top the Eredivisie for tackles won in the opposition's final third.

He likes his teams to play with two holding midfielders, while the attacking impetus is placed on wide players to deliver chances for the central striker.

Explaining his approach with Feyenoord, Slot told UEFA: 'We are an attack-minded team that likes to have a lot of the ball, and we play with a lot of intensity.

'When we don't have the ball, we want to win it back as quickly as possible by being aggressive and pressing to win back possession. I think we are a team that is difficult to beat.'
    The Dutchman also has a reputation of developing youth players

Arne Slot has been compared to Pep Guardiola, is 'the most attack-minded coach in the Netherlands since Johan Cruyff' and 'holds all the power at Feyenoord'... what Liverpool fans can expect if he replaces Jurgen Klopp | Daily Mail Online

soccershaggy repped this.
  8. Barnsie

Barnsie Member

EPL Club: LFC
    Germany
    Oct 16, 2021
    To go from Amorim to Arne Slot is like going from a Mercedes to a Chrysler, mates. How did our new men in the front office bollocks this up so badly? A level-headed, "professional" Dutchman is not a good replacement for a manager with Klopp's reputation and stature. I mean, really, all you have to do is look at Erik ten Hag at ManUre to see what I mean. I was put off enough with missing out on Xabi, but now this!?! Obviously, I hope that I'm wrong about this, but I don't see how this much of a change is going to work at LFC. A big time club needs a big time manager!

9. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tuchel ever come up?

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #410 newterp, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    You basically have this all wrong - in terms of the analogy. Take a look at the article I posted above. Amorim and Slot are more or less the same. But one plays a style and formation that already fits us.

Barnsie, soccershaggy and Suss repped this.
  11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I’m the opposite. I find myself more excited for Slot than I ever did for Amorim, based on the limited things I know about both.

I think it’s totally understandable to be disappointed about missing out on Alonso. But Amorim and Slot have virtually the same resume. We didn’t miss out on Amorim. We chose another candidate who the club think are a better fit, in the same way that we didn’t sign Julian Brandt and signed Mohammed Salah instead.

I’m willing to put some faith in the guys who brought us Klopp and all of these brilliant players.

Wingtips1, newterp and Samarkand repped this.
  12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Sidebar, your Honor!

I wonder how important that decision was ultimately for the Klopp/Edwards relationship? It showed to Klopp that he was in fact fallible. He wanted impart of Salah and had his heart set on Brandt. The word is that when Edwards forced through the Salah over Brandt deal, things between Klopp and Edwards were quite frosty. Until the season began. When Klopp would have seen immediately that Edwards was right and while it difficult to say precisely that Brandt wouldn’t have been as good, in all probability, he wouldn’t have been. I would imagine that this led Klopp to really trust Edwards’ opinions, knowing that he could comfortably leave those decisions not him while at the same time being able to weigh in on prospective targets.

Good shout on the Salah/Brandt, Amorim/Slot analogy.

Suss and soccershaggy repped this.
  13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    FWIW, Amorim supposedly has a buyout clause of €15m and W Ham are supposedly reluctant to pay that, so have, again, supposedly, set their sights on Lopetegui.

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Wake me up when someone has a photo of a manager kissing the “This is Anfield” sign. :)

everything else is just pure speculation.

owian, Barnsie and imasyko repped this.
  15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They's have to be pretty tall to kiss the sign.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  16. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A youngish manager with a similar style, who has worked with a restricted budget, and still won trophies sounds like a good hire. It's a big jump from Feyenoord to Anfield of course so it may not work out. If it doesn't, a sensational return to Anfield could be in the cards for Jurgen Klopp after his time away.

You heard it here first. ;)

Red Bird and Samarkand repped this.
  17. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crouchie is gonna be our manager? :p

18. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Don't know either Amorim or Slot from squat but from the comments Slot certainly seems a better fit in terms of tactics and playing style. I worry too about the big jump up to LFC, but we do have a lot of infrastructure and process in place now that wasn't there when Klopp arrived. Only thing I don't care about with Slot is he looks too much like a fat 7 Hag.

19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    His tactics and philosophy are similar to what is currently in place.
    He improves the players at his disposal, similar to the manager who just left.
    He gives youth opportunities, in line with our philosophy.

He's got a shot to be good here. He'll have my backing.

And I do want Geertruida here next year so I hope he'll bring him along, too.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I had that thought myself a while back. I wonder how outlandish it is?

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Very imo. Did you read / see his pregame yesterday. I read it in the Guardian so maybe missed subtext but it reads like the words of a truly exhausted guy.

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I get that. But if he sits out 2 seasons doing perhaps pundit work, that would go a long way to curing his exhaustion. He has said that while he won’t work in the PL again, he does see himself back in the dugout at some stage.

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ah OK sorry- for some reason I thought you meant he might change his mind about leaving.

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep.