The search for a NEW LFC Manager Thread - Arne Slot (?)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Jan 30, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If LFC even consider Mourinho as a candidate…I will find another team to support…:(

2. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    I think he's on the list, just below Hodgson.

usscouse repped this.
  3. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    West ********ing Ham....

Apparently we're diverting towards Arne Slot at Feyenoord now.

4. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    Ok.

It isn't going to be him now. Over my dead body and 40million other fans too for that matter.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tweet in that west ham is long shot too.

slot is a good outside the box choice.

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    To be fair to Mourinho, he had a cracking quote in today’s Telegraph.

“There are a couple of players still at Man United that I didn’t want five or six years ago.”

Wingtips1 repped this.
  7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Story I’ve just heard from someone who’s reasonably well positioned to know. Not an insider or an ITK, just someone who has done business with the club at an academy/reserve level.

1. Ornstein blotted his copybook with Anfield a while back. Don’t know the details or precisely when, but he has been frozen out for a while.
    2. So he went from an ITK, Romano type who was genuinely good and well informed to publishing his own speculation and journo pub gossip.
    3. The Amorim links are most definitely still open, on-going and a deal is still on. No guarantees they get over the finish line, however.

soccershaggy repped this.
  8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I suppose we will know in less than a month, regardless.

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In deed. In fact most were fed the line that Ancelotti was the front runner with even some scurrilous suggestion that Klopp’s extravagant mannerisms weren’t acceptable and I recall railing against such views on these boards.

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a Portuguese "In the know" says Amorim is on his way to London for meetings with Liverpool and West Ham

Samarkand repped this.
  11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Which makes sense, if you believe Moyes is done. Amorim would need to show Liverpool that they are not his only suitor when/if it comes to negotiations.

12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The only way Amorim ends up at West Ham is if Liverpool passes on him.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please ********ing NO...

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He lives close by.

2 + 2 = 22

EruditeHobo and usscouse repped this.
  15. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    "I'd rather shit in my hand and then headbutt it"

A response I saw on reddit to this rumor.

LiverpoolFanatic, bayred and speker repped this.
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    variation:
    "I'd rather shit in my hand and then eat it"

17. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Jan 30 2024 David Orenstein writes the article titled “Michael Edwards rejects chance to return to Liverpool” so
    On Jan 2024 Orenstein published this high-profile article in The Atlantic... "Michael Edwards rejects chance to return to Liverpool"

https://theathletic.com/5238508/2024/01/30/liverpool-michael-edwards-sporting-director-next/

How accurate did that turn out to be? Everyone hold onto your knickers, there's a lot going on right now, and I guarantee the journalists are NOT in loop with regard to what is happening.

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Some journos are, others not. Romano, Reddy, Pearce, Bascombe and maybe Andy Hunter all have good relations with the club and would largely be considered ITKs. I’m sure there are others, maybe Miguel Delaney.

As I said upthread, Ornstein blotted his copybook in some fashion a while back (don’t know any of the details) and is definitely out in the cold. Balagué has moved on since Rafa; most other writers for the national papers, Joe Rimmer for the Echo and the BBC, Sky, TNT, Talksport would have cordial relations with the club but would hardly be considered ITKs.

19. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    Well they turned out to be correct when they reported we were trying to bring him back and maybe Edwards did want more control in the food chain hence him returning in a more exec role.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  20. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool interested in Feyernord manager Arne Slot. First reported by Paul Joyce and now all the LFC journos have the story.

It’s being reported in the same way that transfers get reported when they are done deals.

21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

his name was whispered a few weeks back in "2nd" group of managers (a couple from Germany too)

22. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    Gotta say Arne Slot wouldn't excite me 1 bit & they'll definitely be a divide with his appointment.

soccershaggy repped this.
  23. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How is he different than Amorim? Achieved just as much in Holland as Amorim did in Portugal. And from the little I know about their styles of play, I think Slot’s style is a better fit.

newterp and Wingtips1 repped this.
  24. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He met with the Hammers...and it wouldn't be a terrible move for him if we've moved on from him as our front runner.
    Have a solid foundation of midfield and attacking talent and just a striker (I know, I know) would definitely make them annoying to the teams occupying the European and even CL places. If Emery could do it with Villa, why couldn't somebody like Amorim do it with West Ham?

25. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Everything I've read about Slot tells me his vision and tactics are closer to those of Klopp than Amorim.
    But those same reports have said Amorim has more of the personality needed to be in the big job.

Again, still think Pep wouldn't be a bad shout here - doesn't need the personality of an outsider given his existing relationships with the squad and ownership and his tactics will continue from the foundation which already exists.
    If he kills it, great, he's got another year to continue to prove himself and bed in some more signings. If year 2 doesn't go well, the next manager won't have to be the one who is following Klopp and will see much less pressure.
    If he sucks year 1, he's gone at year end and we go and get Alonso next summer.