The scrap heap - what's out there?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Roblar, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    These posts in the expansion thread got me thinking:

I agree with lurking here. However, these two posts have me trying to figure out who the current "Mullan", "Waibel", "Ching" players are. Anyone have ideas? (I've been a bit out of the loop - paying attention to Houston, and that's about it for MLS. Mostly just lurking in Yanks Abroad Gameday.)

So, who are the real scrap heap players? Here are a few 'starters'. I don't feel strongly about any of them, but....

In the Veteran Re-hab vein
    Martino. Was he really just a flash in the pan? I wonder if the smog got him down?
    Cancela. I've seen a few people mention him, and I remember he did well for NER a while back. ....but if Nicol let's him go, doesn't that suggest attitude? Wouldn't Yallop not be interested? (Just guessing... and I see Nicol, Yallop, and Kinnear as being similar coaches in many respects.)
    ???

In the 'might get cut from the team' vein (sub for them, starter for us)
    ???
    Ashe. He doesn't start for Houston, but he shows a lot of promise.
    ???
    ???

USL / A-league pick-ups?
    ???

I just don't have a feel for who will be good scrap-heap pick-ups (and I'm not talkign about the expansion draft - I mean the 'real' scrap heap!), but I know some of you do, and I'm interested to hear what you have to say!